Know Anything About These Fully Balanced Class A/AB Monos for $1400/pair?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
These amps we're recalled recently.

The Class A-A/B bias high and low temps were switched in the code.

So when the amp was turned on it switched over to A/B and would never go back to A. The low temp was flipped with the high.

Also i believe there was a ground issue causing noise.

Both of these issues are gone.

They are now shipping.

Matt

Now that is a good reason to avoid Emotiva, or at least this model.
Sloppy QC if those made it to customers. But it happens, especially when manufactured overseas. Glad they quickly corrected it.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
BTW Emotiva now owns Bob Carver LLC
Wow, seems like he just came back with his own name brand. That was quick. Had the pleasure of meeting him at Axpona Jacksonville.
Interesting mix, "High end" tubes (with pure coincidence high price tag) and "low"...excuse me, "Mid-Fi" SS (with  with pure coincidence low price tag).
I'm sure his knowledge will improve the electrical performance of the Emotiva stuff.
Which of course can never ascend past Mid Fi due to pricing a lack of glowing, purely subjective hands-in-pants "review", by a guy with Shakti stones and cones and whatnot.
No arrogant egotistical snobbery there! :green:  :lol:
This type review should be ignored http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/power-amplifiers-reviews/a-secrets-power-amplifier-review89.html, it's an anomaly, too many funny squiggly things. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

medium jim

Wow, seems like he just came back with his own name brand. That was quick. Had the pleasure of meeting him at Axpona Jacksonville.
Interesting mix, "High end" tubes (with pure coincidence high price tag) and "low"...excuse me, "Mid-Fi" SS (with  with pure coincidence low price tag).
I'm sure his knowledge will improve the electrical performance of the Emotiva stuff.
Which of course can never ascend past Mid Fi due to pricing a lack of glowing, purely subjective hands-in-pants "review", by a guy with Shakti stones and cones and whatnot.
No arrogant egotistical snobbery there! :green:  :lol:
This type review should be ignored http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/power-amplifiers-reviews/a-secrets-power-amplifier-review89.html, it's an anomaly, too many funny squiggly things. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

It would be interesting to see what your system consists of....

BTW, Mid-Fi has nothing to do with what something costs, rather in the quality or SQ and visa versa for Audiophile grade components.   I would like you to tell me where I said cost was a factor of how good something sounds?  It was just another one of your specious arguments. 

Jim

Freo-1

Same place where Emotive is "Mid Fi", the "$6k" BAT is "simply one if the best sounding SS Amps at any price", etc, etc.
No sense "arguing" inside that domain.
Once again, for Neeko's load, his suggested Emotiva (or others) would be just fine and dandy.
For street cred, cognitive dissonance, psychological well being and satisfaction, etc....well, who knows, won't pretend to. Certainly not arrogant ol' me  :lol:

cheers,

AJ

And your point would be??? :lol:
Hey, this is audio after all.  Subjective criticism is all part and parcel.  A buddy of mine (who is rather picky) jumped on the Emotiva bandwagon for about a week, and promptly put it up on Flea Pay.  He said it was underwhelming, and sounded something like an 80's Yamaha.   :o

He quickly bought a Pass Labs X-250, and was much happier.   :banana piano:

Sometimes, you get what you pay for. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
It would be interesting to see what your system consists of....
You're slipping Jim. That Red Herring is usually interjected way earlier in these "audiophile" vs reality threads! :lol:
In case you missed it, I travel all the time with my systems. For any to see/hear/experience. C'mon down sometime.

BTW, Mid-Fi has nothing to do with what something costs, rather in the quality or SQ and visa versa for Audiophile grade components.
Riiight. Perhaps you can tell us when you (or any of the MidFi believers) did these blind listening tests, where you judged SQ without knowing cost?
Care to name some $6k "MidFi" amps?

I would like you to tell me where I said cost was a factor of how good something sounds?  It was just another one of your specious arguments.
Yeah, no idea where I got the idea the BAT costs $6k new!!!! Probably just my imagination. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

medium jim

You're slipping Jim. That Red Herring is usually interjected way earlier in these "audiophile" vs reality threads! :lol:
In case you missed it, I travel all the time with my systems. For any to see/hear/experience. C'mon down sometime.
Riiight. Perhaps you can tell us when you (or any of the MidFi believers) did these blind listening tests, where you judged SQ without knowing cost?
Care to name some $6k "MidFi" amps?
Yeah, no idea where I got the idea the BAT costs $6k new!!!! Probably just my imagination. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

You really need to get a life, or grow up, which ever comes first...

Jim

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
And your point would be??? :lol:
That electro-acoustically, the Emotiva is fine, psychogenically, all bets are off. That's all.

A buddy of mine (who is rather picky) jumped on the Emotiva bandwagon for about a week, and promptly put it up on Flea Pay.  He said it was underwhelming, and sounded something like an 80's Yamaha.   :o  He quickly bought a Pass Labs X-250, and was much happier.   :banana piano:
Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
Absolutely! http://www.caltech.edu/content/wine-study-shows-price-influences-perception
That's been my point all along. :D

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
You really need to get a life, or grow up, which ever comes first...

Jim
Always the high road with you Jim, never par-for-the-course-subjectivist-vs-reality personal attacks.
You have a good night. :lol:

medium jim

Always the high road with you Jim, never par-for-the-course-subjectivist-vs-reality personal attacks.
You have a good night. :lol:

AJ:

Even your customer, Neekomax attempted to apologize for your impish sardonic attempts at humor.  That should have been a clue, guess not.  Maybe you should look into a mirror with regard to taking the "High Road". 

Jim

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Folks, this has derailed.

Timeout while I work on this...

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
Ok, to get things back on track for the subject of these Emotiva amplifiers. I am going to ask a few things...

Please try harder to NOT be provocative in your participation in the discussion. I ask that you refrain from directly challenging others to substantiate subjective opinions. Not to say that one cannot disagree, just make statements as matter of your opinion, and on the subject of audio equipment, not other individuals or general human nature.  I understand human perception plays a role in the subject of audio, but let's set that aside and focus on the topic of these amplifiers.   

Hence, leave references to blind testing and psychological studies out of this thread, and find another place for that discussion if you wish to have it. ( -It is not "Solid State" material  :D )

"AJinFla" and "medium jim" please cease directing contentious or derogatory posts to each other, (and Rclark for that matter).   

And, remember the goal is for polite, constructive discourse and the subject is this Emotiva amplifier.

-Tony

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
Need to focus on the Emotiva amplifiers from here on folks.

neekomax

It's cool, you can trash this thread or whatever. We've managed to discuss bupkiss, based on minimal information, on what seems to me like a promising amp. But apparently, I'd be wasting my time with anything but a $6,000 amp, or at least an old one that used to cost that much. Awesome.

Seriously, wtf.

:(

medium jim

It's cool, you can trash this thread or whatever. We've managed to discuss bupkiss, based on minimal information, on what seems to me like a promising amp. But apparently, I'd be wasting my time with anything but a $6,000 amp, or at least an old one that used to cost that much. Awesome.

Seriously, wtf.

Sorry. but I was very honest with my opinions as were several others, maybe the Pass X-250 as mentioned would be more to your liking.  The fact that the Emotiva in Question was recalled says something.  I tend to agree with Rclark who would be the first to vouch for the Emotiva as he is very active on the Emotiva forum and is am Emotiva owner.  Sometimes, you don't get the answer you are looking for.

Regardless of how old the BAT is, or what it initially cost, it is a great sounding amp from a great designer and builder and was just trying to pass on what is a great value/deal...the last one listed here sold for $2200.00 and that wasn't too long ago. 

Jim

Rclark

Neekomax, I think you were on the right track in the first place. Try those new Emo amps, they look nice. You can return them, they are 30 day, no questions asked. It will be painless if you don't like them. They are a great company, and I'm sure these new amps are pretty solid.

My only point, which brought up some contention, was the suggestion of UPA's. I'll tell you what, that amount of power for the money sure looks appealing for a new person to the hobby, but the consensus is they're just okay. And like I said, I know somebody who owns them and upgraded to something else, and was able to soberly identify a clear advantage with the other amps. Even I almost went UPA's, but instead I ended up going battery powered Virtue. Batteries sounded exotic and the reputation was for very good sound quality as a power amp.

I like Emotiva a lot. I've bought new from them 3 times and it's always been a pleasure, and if I saw something that interested me I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. It's just that some of their products are not for me. That's all.

These new amps look nice, their whole lineup is starting to look really nice, actually, and the addition of Carver sounds interesting as well. I expect Emotiva will keep getting better and better.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
But apparently, I'd be wasting my time with anything but a $6,000 amp, or at least an old one that used to cost that much. Awesome.
Seriously, wtf.
Yep, nailed it.
Back to square one, facts: Emotiva will drive your load no problem, produce said soundwaves/soundfield.
Has warranty, return policy. Had a recall on the model you're interested in. Reportedly fixed and now reshipping.
No rational, logical, scientific/reality based reason to avoid, other than the recall issue.
Opinions/opinions stated as facts: Everybody's got one (or twenty). The only consensus there, is that there is no consensus. Throw dart, base decision on where it hits. If that satiates, makes happy, better yet.
Good luck! :wink:

cheers,

AJ

JohnR

$1400 is still a chunk of change for an amp. Does the OP actually need that much power?

neekomax

$1400 is still a chunk of change for an amp. Does the OP actually need that much power?

From what I understand, transients demand large amounts of power even when continuous power demands are quite low, and therefore I would like to have high power on hand for headroom and clipping-free playback.

So, yes.  :)

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Neeko, I have no experience with anything from Emotiva...but take a look at an Odyssey Khartago stereo or mono.  Not balanced, but great amp...numerous reviews on Absolute Sound, etc.  the website leaves a lot to be desired, but Klaus is a hoot to talk to and he's a sponsor here on AC.

Just a thought
Mark

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
$1400 is still a chunk of change for an amp.
It's almost heresy around here to consider spending less...but I agree, he could spend less and still have a suitable or even overkill amp for his speakers.

Does the OP actually need that much power?
Not for his current speakers, unless he's future-proofing. The M1s have good power handling capability for there size, as the midbass has a larger than average VC (2") to dissipate the power and stave off compression, but it is still a mid sensitivity "hifi" driver, there is no way it needs that kind of burst power (>500w). A solid 100-150w (RMS 8 ohm, say 250w peak @ 4 ohm) amp is really all that's required.

cheers,

AJ