Know Anything About These Fully Balanced Class A/AB Monos for $1400/pair?

medium jim

So asking you questions that you can't answer is a "personal attack"?
And you rant towards me above, is what then, constructive discussion about amplifiers?
Interesting dimension you live in Jim

You are just proving my point...

Jim

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Jim, why is that of utmost importance to you?
Wait, never mind http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9849949-39.html
You might be quite right, though obviously susceptibility varies

AJ that link is "priceless" (no pun intended).

I can tell the following story now that James Bongiorno has passed away.   Several years ago James kindly purchased dinner at a nice restaurant for myself and George who helped at CES in Las Vegas.  James purchased $100 cabernet, Charles Krug IIRC, from the winery close to my old residence in CA. 

The next night it was my turn to buy George dinner.  I purchased our favorite at home Clo du Bois, can't remember the restaurant price but it costs $11-13 in CA, more here in Utah (government liquor stores only).  We both preferred Clo vs. the Krug the prior night. 

We also did the carafe test.  First finished a glass from the bottle, then poured the rest into the carafe, which definitely seemed to improve flavor. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
You are just proving my point...

Jim
Other than the "$6k", what is better about the BAT?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
AJ that link is "priceless" (no pun intended).

I can tell the following story now that James Bongiorno has passed away.   Several years ago James kindly purchased dinner at a nice restaurant for myself and George who helped at CES in Las Vegas.  James purchased $100 cabernet, Charles Krug IIRC, from the winery close to my old residence in CA. 

The next night it was my turn to buy George dinner.  I purchased our favorite at home Clo du Bois, can't remember the restaurant price but it costs $11-13 in CA, more here in Utah (government liquor stores only).  We both preferred Clo vs. the Krug the prior night. 

We also did the carafe test.  First finished a glass from the bottle, then poured the rest into the carafe, which definitely seemed to improve flavor.
Thanks, it was meant to interject humor, despite the obvious reality of the parody.
I have stated a 1000x that if someone prefers a more expensive, bling X to Y, that is their subjective choice. No problem, no reasons needed there. Dispense advice as such. Be prepared for other opinions too!
However, I see  no electrical reason for Neeko to avoid the "midfi" Emotiva stuff (I designed the load!). If he gets street cred envy at the audiophile country club, so be it. But there is no electro-acoustic reason. Psychological, psychogenic, absolutely!! We are ALL subject to that.

cheers,

AJ

medium jim

Other than the "$6k", what is better about the BAT?

Simple, it is one if the best sounding SS Amps at any price and at 250wpc into 8 ohm and stable down to 2ohm can drive just about any speaker.  It was just one of many great deals to be had used right now.  Since you have an interest in the Emotiva, your opinions are clearly biased towards it.

The reference to what the BAT initially cost was for reference, however, some things are worth more merely because they really are better and getting them for less is wonderful.   Have to wonder what an used Emotiva would fetch?

Funny thing about the used marketplace, the prices are more realistic.

Jim

neekomax

AJ, you have an interest in Emotiva?  :scratch:

CrazyBlue

Since you have an interest in the Emotiva, your opinions are clearly biased towards it.

Are you referencing this?

However, I see  no electrical reason for Neeko to avoid the "midfi" Emotiva stuff (I designed the load!).

The load would be the loudspeakers, as per the OP's avatar and systems http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1609 link.  No?  So where is the interest in Emotiva?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
So where is the interest in Emotiva?
Same place where Emotive is "Mid Fi", the "$6k" BAT is "simply one if the best sounding SS Amps at any price", etc, etc.
No sense "arguing" inside that domain.
Once again, for Neeko's load, his suggested Emotiva (or others) would be just fine and dandy.
For street cred, cognitive dissonance, psychological well being and satisfaction, etc....well, who knows, won't pretend to. Certainly not arrogant ol' me  :lol:

cheers,

AJ

CrazyBlue

I get that, just not where you have some vested interest in the company, as was seemingly implied. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
I get that, just not where you have some vested interest in the company, as was seemingly implied.

Oh, that was just Jim taking the high road, free of personal attacks and innuendo to bolster ones argument. Rather leave that sort of thing to me. :wink:
(just kidding Jim, j/k)

medium jim

Same place where Emotive is "Mid Fi", the "$6k" BAT is "simply one if the best sounding SS Amps at any price", etc, etc.
No sense "arguing" inside that domain.
Once again, for Neeko's load, his suggested Emotiva (or others) would be just fine and dandy.
For street cred, cognitive dissonance, psychological well being and satisfaction, etc....well, who knows, won't pretend to. Certainly not arrogant ol' me  :lol:

cheers,

AJ

And I'm sure that your large Soundfields @ $7500.00 must sound like 15k and are not intended for the audiophile market. 

The BAT VK500's are fully balanced and are vastly superior to the Emotiva's and not because of the price.  It would seem that you would want your client, Neekomax, to get the best amp, maybe you think the Emotiva is the better amp, I don't.

Jim

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
And I'm sure that your large Soundfields @ $7500.00 must sound like 15k
How dare you without listening to them first!!
I'm going to revoke your audiophile club card if this continues.
:D

The BAT VK500's are fully balanced and are vastly superior to the Emotiva's and not because of the price.
Umm, pray tell why a "fully balanced" amp would be beneficial for Neeko (or anyone else)? (You're straying dangerously into objective reasoning to bolster subjective choice)

....and are vastly superior to the Emotiva's and not because of the price.
Ok, you have the floor. Why are they vastly superior?

It would seem that you would want your client, Neekomax, to get the best amp
The "best" according to what parameters...and whom? He suggested the Emotiva, I said, sure, absolutely, why not? So far you have given no reason ($6k, fully balanced??) other than "because I said so". I can't endorse that sort of recommendation to Neeko, as rationality, reason and logic pervade my world.

maybe you think the Emotiva is the better amp, I don't.
If it "sounds" as good as the BAT into the load, has a return policy and warranty, yeah, why not?!
If Neeko finds the BAT emotionally more gratifying, then by all means he should buy it instead! (or whatever else the dart hits on the board when other opinions are handed out like facts).

cheers,

AJ

Jim
[/quote]

medium jim

AJ, and you talk about living in parallel universes.  I guess you are a fan of Rush as you practice his art of deflection and practice the art of Rhetoric, but at best your arguments are specious. 

Again, your ego is only exceeded by your arrogance.

Jim

medium jim

Here's a review of the BAT VT-500:

http://www.balanced.com/reviews/reviews/tav_500.html

The fully balanced thing doesn't mean much to me, but was in comparison to the Emotiva...

Yes, there is always some risk buying used, but a small one.   In this instance, if the buyer doesn't like it, he/she could easily resell it for near or even more than what they paid. 

Jim

neekomax

The BAT VK500's are fully balanced and are vastly superior to the Emotiva's and not because of the price.

May I just point out that, as indicated in the title of my OP, the Emotiva XPA-1L are fully balanced amps; unless I am misinformed as to what 'fully balanced' means, which is possible. Not sure what the sonic (or other) advantages are of that feature, but since you brought it up, Jim, as a relevant difference between the amps in question, I figured that it should be noted.

With regard to the back & forth we have going on here, I'll just say that, while AJ can have 'sharp elbows' and erm, uses a sardonic tone in certain posts, I think that his point about dismissing a product because it lacks a 'high end' nameplate without having any experience with it rings true to me. And if you actually read through these last couple of pages, you'll notice that all he's been doing (sarcastically, yes) is asking you to support your assertions with regard to the XPA-1L with some sort of rationale other than the aforementioned.

I think that's a fair question, personally.  :dunno:

medium jim

May I just point out that, as indicated in the title of my OP, the Emotiva XPA-1L are fully balanced amps; unless I am misinformed as to what 'fully balanced' means, which is possible. Not sure what the sonic (or other) advantages are of that feature, but since you brought it up, Jim, as a relevant difference between the amps in question, I figured that it should be noted.

With regard to the back & forth we have going on here, I'll just say that, while AJ can have 'sharp elbows' and erm, uses a sardonic tone in certain posts, I think that his point about dismissing a product because it lacks a 'high end' nameplate without having any experience with it rings true to me. And if you actually read through these last couple of pages, you'll notice that all he's been doing (sarcastically, yes) is asking you to support your assertions with regard to the XPA-1L with some sort of rationale other than the aforementioned.

I think that's a fair question, personally.  :dunno:

I don't, since it was already addressed by Rclark, who I might add is an Emotiva Fan and owner.  Why don't you read the review of the BAT VK500, as it will answer the question that you prose.   

Jim

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
These amps we're recalled recently.

The Class A-A/B bias high and low temps were switched in the code.

So when the amp was turned on it switched over to A/B and would never go back to A. The low temp was flipped with the high.

Also i believe there was a ground issue causing noise.

Both of these issues are gone.

They are now shipping.

Matt

srb

These amps we're recalled recently.

The Class A-A/B bias high and low temps were switched in the code.

So when the amp was turned on it switched over the A/B and would never go back to A. The low temp was flipped with the high.

Also i believe there was a ground issue causing noise.

Both of these issues are gone.

They are no shipping.

Matt

Thanks for the info, it's nice to actually learn something as opposed to being subjected to the really tedious back and forth barbs of argumentative children.

Steve

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I don't have anything to offer about Emotiva or BAT but I do know that Bob doesn't need a hairdresser as he's bald.
The details of the Sunfire sale to Nortek are public knowledge:

On August 26, 2005, Nortek, through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Elan Home Systems, LLC, acquired the assets and certain liabilities of Sunfire Corp. for approximately $4,000,000 plus contingent consideration, which may be payable in future years. Sunfire, Snohomish, Wash., sells and designs home audio and home cinema amplifiers, receivers and subwoofers.
http://www.cepro.com/article/print/nortek_files_for_ipo_who_will_they_buy_next/K354

I believe that Bob Carver is doing the tube amps and the line arrays because that's what he wants to do - he could retire to the Bahamas and be a beach bum if he felt like it.  He's simply rather build high quality stereo gear.
I'm glad to see him doing what he likes best.

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
BTW Emotiva now owns Bob Carver LLC