McGurk's update

Baumli

• http://viaticumpressinternational.com
McGurk's update
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:07 am »
Gentlemen (and ladies too),
I just want to give a reminder of the McGurk's event this coming Sunday, the 14th, from 4-7. Admission is $25. Mainly I wanted to say that in the "silent auction" part there has been donated a new pair of Grado 325i headphones. (I did break them in and listen briefly. Why should I resist that temptation?) The starting bid of these will be $75. The MSRP is $295. There's also some 180-gram vinyl--some opened (played once), some not opened. (There's a 2-LP set of early Gary Karr unopened. Now that causes aural lust!)

And by the way: Last year, some people didn't understand what a "silent auction" is. The "flow" is very simple, really. A card or piece of paper is beside each item, with the starting price. E.g., the headphones will start at $75. If you want them at that, you put your name down and write in $75. But then others can write their name in with a higher bid. And so it goes. (No fistfights, please.) When the auction is about to close, this is announced; and then an announcement is made when it does close.

One caveat: Last year several people left without what they had bought. It took considerable effort to hook up with those people. So this year, please make sure you claim your purchases!

And remember: It's an open bar, with food too! Penelope Cruz can't come this time, but that doesn't matter. We're all too chaste for such eye candy anyway, aren't we?

Cheers,

Francis Baumli