SP3 Acting Up

SHV

SP3 Acting Up
« on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:12 am »
Turned on NCAA final tonight and noticed that the SP3 LCD screen was dead and the volume control didn't work.  Switching inputs with remote seems sluggish but they seem to work.  Anything that I can do or does it need to go back in  it's box and head to Vt?

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP3 Acting Up
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2013, 10:08 am »
Turned on NCAA final tonight and noticed that the SP3 LCD screen was dead and the volume control didn't work.  Switching inputs with remote seems sluggish but they seem to work.  Anything that I can do or does it need to go back in  it's box and head to Vt?

Steve

Hi Steve

Please email Mike at Bryston about this - mpickett@bryston.com

james

SHV

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:24 am »

Haven't heard from Mike yet but this PM, LCD came back on, volume control works and switching function back to normal.  Perhaps Lola's bio-electric effect re-polarized the internal wiring.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:41 am »

Haven't heard from Mike yet but this PM, LCD came back on, volume control works and switching function back to normal.  Perhaps Lola's bio-electric effect re-polarized the internal wiring.

Steve

Hi Steve

That's very weird - can we employ Lola in our repair department  :lol:

james

Robert D

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm »
I had the same type of problem.
If someone would walking around the house dragging their feet walking on one of my carpets it would create some type of electric effect that would turn off my BP26 & MPS-2 click off. I would have to Turn off MPS-2 and then start her up again.

I advised my wife and her friends to stay in the Kitchen lol  :thumb:
And ground themselves before entering the living room..... Like to touch a table that would for some reason create a small Electric shock.

Regards Robert

werd

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2013, 08:30 pm »
You got all the tell tale signs of a mouse in your sp3. Just lay a little cheese around it to lure it out. Should be ok after that.  :thumb:

Robert D

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:27 pm »
You got all the tell tale signs of a mouse in your sp3. Just lay a little cheese around it to lure it out. Should be ok after that.  :thumb:

It's called heat Cheese !

Robert

SHV

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2013, 04:57 pm »
More problems last night, couldn't change inputs either with remote or directly.  Lola was busy doing other stuff so I rebooted the system, then everything worked.  When/if  the SP3 gets into a stable broken condition, then it will be time to send in to Bryston; transient issues are a PITA.

Steve

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:31 am »
Sorry to hear about your SP3 problems, Steve:

I sympathize with your point on intermittent problems. My SP3, BDP2, and BDA2 arrived Tuesday evening. Throughout Wednesday, the BDP2 would not play files. On the second attempt this afternoon, it worked perfectly. I think the key to stable performance is your beautiful Lola heatsink.

The illustrious Messrs. James Tanner and Mike Pickett contacted me to provide help, even though Bryston's power was out because of an ice storm. Jeez, what commitment to customers. My small problem pales compared to the vicissitudes of the weather with which those folks were dealing.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Robert D

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:56 pm »
More problems last night, couldn't change inputs either with remote or directly.  Lola was busy doing other stuff so I rebooted the system, then everything worked.  When/if  the SP3 gets into a stable broken condition, then it will be time to send in to Bryston; transient issues are a PITA.

Steve

Steve You might want to try putting  a grounding type of mate on the floor.

When you touch your equipment do you ever get a little shock ????

Robert

SHV

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:20 pm »
"When you touch your equipment do you ever get a little shock ????"
Interesting point.  I am presently living in South Central US and the humidity is high.  Unlike when I lived in NE US or Jackson Hole WY where I got into the habit of grounding myself before kissing the wife, I have never felt a static discharge here.  Also I rarely have "hands on" the SP3, 98% control by remote.  I will just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive at a stable broken state. :>)

Steve