Magnepan's & Tubes, do you?

Rclark

Re: Magnepan's & Tubes, do you?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:52 am »

Depends on your listening habits and system goals. I "learned" audiophilia on a Quad with 40 W/ch of Mac tube power, but discovered that when push came to shove I am more of a JBL man. My JBL Cnturies Giant Sansui receiver and Lenco 78 were carted off for parties in modest city living rooms in my circle of 20-30 years ago. I like to sit up front in the concert hall and in the player's face at chamber music events. Those are loud positions and have transients pretty much hit you in the face and big drums bass bassoons Tubas and contrabass body slam you.

As I imagine Liszt playing in my mind's eye I see him playing a 20 ft grand with D'Agoult inside it making googly eyes at him. That is what I want to hear.

Your taste obviously differs.

Makes me want to buy tickets to the symphony!  :thumb:

medium jim

« Reply #41 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:58 am »

Depends on your listening habits and system goals. I "learned" audiophilia on a Quad with 40 W/ch of Mac tube power, but discovered that when push came to shove I am more of a JBL man. My JBL Cnturies Giant Sansui receiver and Lenco 78 were carted off for parties in modest city living rooms in my circle of 20-30 years ago. I like to sit up front in the concert hall and in the player's face at chamber music events. Those are loud positions and have transients pretty much hit you in the face and big drums bass bassoons Tubas and contrabass body slam you.

As I imagine Liszt playing in my mind's eye I see him playing a 20 ft grand with D'Agoult inside it making googly eyes at him. That is what I want to hear.

Your taste obviously differs.

« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm by medium jim »

medium jim

« Reply #42 on: 12 Apr 2013, 10:41 pm »
There seems to be a growing attitude of "Absolutism", or mine is right and yours cannot be.   This is really impish as there is no absolute right way.  The idea of this thread is to share useful information, but without the "if you don't do it this way, you are missing out or your setup is inferior"  The said thing is that this "Absolutism" is not just on this thread.   I learned a long time ago in the business world that if you leave your opponent their dignity that both parties can walk away with their heads held high, a true win/win.

Jim

pansixt

« Reply #43 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:32 pm »
I just had my first listening session with my MMG;s in my system. Tube amp, Tube Pre. WOW.

Listened to Alison Krauss & Union Station--Paper Airplane standard issue CD. Small Maggies and small Tube amp, and the T-8 preamp did shine.
Long way to go but already hearing glimpses of greatness. Only gets better from here. Looking really forward to the future for a change. :thumb:

satie

« Reply #44 on: 12 Apr 2013, 11:42 pm »
There seems to be a growing attitude of "Absolutism", or mine is right and yours cannot be.   This is really impish as there is no absolute right way.  The idea of this thread is to share useful information, but without the "if you don't do it this way, you are missing out or your setup is inferior"  The said thing is that this "Absolutism" is not just on this thread.   I learned a long time ago in the business world that if you leave your opponent their dignity that both parties can walk away with their heads held high, a true win/win.

Jim

I am well aware that different folks want different strokes. I helped quite a few folks find what they wanted by figuring out what they appreciate with different setups/components etc.. Rather than telling them to choose what I like. I know that my particular preference is in a tiny minority - particularly among planar fans. I find way more people looking for my goals in the horn groups, but despite their amazing dynamics, I have not come to appreciate the soundstaging and tonal qualities of Altec Voice of the Theater, Klipschorns, or the refrigerator sized JBLs of 30-40 years ago. But for deep impactful bass and exciting dynamics there is little competition.

As I said, "I" found planars normally coupled with insufficient amplification. Being the one who comes in and pushes the flourescent blue from 57 to 68, I know well that folks were not putting their system together for me.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #45 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:16 am »
Pansixt,
I just checked out your system, it looks like you're really well set!
I would love to hear MMGs with that amp, I'll bet it's a really good match.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2013, 01:45 am by SteveFord »

pansixt

« Reply #46 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:54 am »
Steve,
As I'm sure you recognized, it's my old Dyna ST70 that Frank did the Ultimate70 rebuild to. I think lots of people mistake the U70 (sounds like a boat) for the nicer AVA Ultravalve.
Nonetheless, small amp with some punch. Still lots of work to do in this room.

I think I'll resurrect the previous MMG topic with more first impressions.

James

medium jim

« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2013, 12:59 am »
Steve,
As I'm sure you recognized, it's my old Dyna ST70 that Frank did the Ultimate70 rebuild to. I think lots of people mistake the U70 (sounds like a boat) for the nicer AVA Ultravalve.
Nonetheless, small amp with some punch. Still lots of work to do in this room.

I think I'll resurrect the previous MMG topic with more first impressions.

James

James:

Nothing at all wrong with the Dynaco ST-70, especially when rebuilt by the likes of Frank.  Steve is right, you have a damn nice system!

Jim

pansixt

« Reply #48 on: 13 Apr 2013, 01:30 am »
Thanks everyone. And by that I mean everyone on AC along with the Planar Circle.

My system sounds great. And as I posted earlier, I have now had glimpses of greatness in my music.
I will keep coming back. Wait, that's the other program :duh: