Magnepan's & Tubes, do you?

Hasse

• "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" - FZ
Re: Magnepan's & Tubes, do you?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
If you you have Magnepan's and drive them with tubes, please let us know. 

I run my 2.5's with a Audio Research VS-110, which is rated at 100 watts per, closer to 110.  It makes joyous music with the maggies.

Who's next?

Jim
ARC and Maggies, a classic combo  :thumb:. So 100 watts is enough to make the 1.7´s sing.
Both ARC REF150 and Pass XA100.5 are on my shortlist of amps to consider for my 3.7´s but I´m concerned that they might be underpowered at 150/200W. What are your thoughts?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2013, 08:52 pm »
Go, Bernie!
Unless you're in a gigantic room an ARC 150 should be sufficient, I would think.

berni

« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2013, 09:03 pm »
Go, Bernie!
Unless you're in a gigantic room an ARC 150 should be sufficient, I would think.
We will see, the room is pretty large 6x8m with 2,5-3.5 high ceiling and widely opened to two other rooms.
If it doesn't work, I can still use it as a room heater and xmas decoration lights.

medium jim

« Reply #23 on: 9 Apr 2013, 09:06 pm »
ARC and Maggies, a classic combo  :thumb:. So 100 watts is enough to make the 1.7´s sing.
Both ARC REF150 and Pass XA100.5 are on my shortlist of amps to consider for my 3.7´s but I´m concerned that they might be underpowered at 150/200W. What are your thoughts?

I'm not complaining and they drive my 2.5's as loud as I can stand them!  The VS110 per ARC starts to clip at 130 watts per side.   As Steve already notes, the ARC REF150 will be more than enough to drive your 3.7's. 

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 9 Apr 2013, 09:13 pm »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #25 on: 9 Apr 2013, 10:02 pm »
Berni may not be one of us mere mortals so it's probably best not to piss him off.
That smiting stuff is supposed to really leave a mark.

pelliott321

« Reply #26 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:18 pm »
that OTL will work fine if you get an auto-transformer to solve the impedance issue. I had a friend that ran a set of tympany IV's with OTL's with an auto tranny and it worked beautifully.
I solved mine with bi-amping using a kt88 for the mids and ribbon and a class D for the bass panels for my rebuilt Maggy IIIa's.  I use a pair of subs for below 40hz 

Hasse

« Reply #27 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:40 pm »
So 100 watts is enough to make the 1.7´s sing.
I'm not complaining and they drive my 2.5's as loud as I can stand them!
Jim
Oops, meant to write 2.5´s 

Hasse

« Reply #28 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:11 pm »
Go, Bernie!
We will see, the room is pretty large 6x8m with 2,5-3.5 high ceiling and widely opened to two other rooms.
If it doesn't work, I can still use it as a room heater and xmas decoration lights.
Berni, if you get the chance to hear the REF150 with your 20.1´s, please let us know how it works

medium jim

« Reply #29 on: 10 Apr 2013, 03:18 pm »
Berni, if you get the chance to hear the REF150 with your 20.1´s, please let us know how it works

I wish the ARC would build their Reference Series with both XLR's and RCA's....I personally feel that RCA (unbalanced) sounds richer and bigger.  This is not to cause a debate, just my personal feelings about it.  I would also love to see Meters on the Ref 150.   This is in no way compromises how it sounds, which is outstanding. 

Jim

berni

« Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2013, 05:06 pm »
Actually I have been waiting that a friend brings arc ref 210 to me for testing. But one of the amps had some issues so no testing yet. But it is hard to compare otl and normal tube amps.

Running a Otl and then back upa with a zero transformer, is a kind silly. First we get rid of the output transformer and then we put another in.
If this 200w beast will not be able to drive my 20.1 , the low end will get some help biamping with my SS beast who has no problem with the load. I think this will be even better. Lets see how it turns out.

mg3720

« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2013, 02:15 am »
I run a pair of 1.7’s with a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp and a pair of MC275LE tube power amps.  I run the power amps in parallel mode making the output 150 watts each.  It sounds amazing.  I have two subs in this two channel system, but I do not use them.  The low end response of the 1.7’s and the McIntosh gear is surprisingly good.  I tried the MC275LE amps with my 3.7’s.  While the sound was all there, real or not, I felt that I was loosing something.  Normally they are driven by 500 watt SS monos.

I am entertaining getting a higher power  tube amp for my 20.7’s, just to see (hear) what the 20.7’s can do.  Right now I have SS Krell monos driving them.  If I stay in the McIntosh line, they have the MC2301, 300watt mono tube amp, but I have not read a lot of comments about this amp.

medium jim

« Reply #32 on: 11 Apr 2013, 02:23 am »
I run a pair of 1.7’s with a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp and a pair of MC275LE tube power amps.  I run the power amps in parallel mode making the output 150 watts each.  It sounds amazing.  I have two subs in this two channel system, but I do not use them.  The low end response of the 1.7’s and the McIntosh gear is surprisingly good.  I tried the MC275LE amps with my 3.7’s.  While the sound was all there, real or not, I felt that I was loosing something.  Normally they are driven by 500 watt SS monos.

I am entertaining getting a higher power  tube amp for my 20.7’s, just to see (hear) what the 20.7’s can do.  Right now I have SS Krell monos driving them.  If I stay in the McIntosh line, they have the MC2301, 300watt mono tube amp, but I have not read a lot of comments about this amp.

mg3720:

My local Magnepan Dealer is Shelley's Stereo, Woodland Hills, CA (about 25 miles NW of Los Angeles) and they are also a McIntosh Dealer (since 1961) and before they started their move into their new building (a work in progress), they had a pair of MC2301's hitting their 20.1's and it was sublime, both with and without subs.   I would have to think they would slay the 20.7's as well.  I just don't remember if they had them on the 20.7's when they came in or not. 

BTW, they have a pair of MC275's on a pair of 3.7's in their main showroom right now that is also an amazing pairing. 

Jim

emailtim

« Reply #33 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:11 am »
... before they started their move into their new building (a work in progress), they had a pair of MC2301's hitting their 20.1's and it was sublime, both with and without subs.   I would have to think they would slay the 20.7's as well.  I just don't remember if they had them on the 20.7's when they came in or not. 

Jim,

When did Shelley's get some 20.X's ???  I have never seen 20's on their showroom floor.  Have they added them to their new location?

Thanks,
Tim

medium jim

« Reply #34 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:27 am »
They had them in their Topanga location in the first room on the right coming in the main entrance.  Maybe they sold them. 

They only have one listening room set up in their new building when I was there about 3 weeks ago.

Jim

emailtim

« Reply #35 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:32 am »
They had them in their Topanga location in the first room on the right coming in the main entrance.  Maybe they sold them. 

They only have one listening room set up in their new building when I was there about 3 weeks ago.

Jim

Hmm, last I was in their previous location they had 3.7's in the first room and 1.7's in the second room.  They used to have 3.6's in the last big room (when I bought mine).  I guess I will have to chat up Stan.  He usually calls me when he gets new toys in.

Tim

medium jim

« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:38 am »
Hmm, last I was in their previous location they had 3.7's in the first room and 1.7's in the second room.  They used to have 3.6's in the last big room (when I bought mine).  I guess I will have to chat up Stan.  He usually calls me when he gets new toys in.

Tim

Or Alon...

Jim

satie

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2013, 06:18 pm »
I use a modified Dyna III with KT120s for mids on my T IV, but the mids are a BG Neo8 line array so it is not the same thing. But with the great sensitivity of the drivers (95 db the way I use them) I can run the tubes in triode. Tech says the amps do 30W cleanly on triode, 60+ watts on ultralinear, said it was the best performance on the scope he ever got from Dyna IIIs in 50 years in the biz.

I can say with certainty that having a high sensitivity planar is what we should all want. Particularly so we can drive them to realistic levels with tubes for mids and highs. I don't think there is any advantage for tubes below 300 hz, so if you can biamp then you can really do well with tubes on top, though maggies will only make it marginally with a pair of 6550/kt88 per side for mid/tweeter. 4 kt88 per side is plenty for the mid/tweeter, but definitely not for a full size maggie in a large room - even with a sub.

medium jim

« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2013, 07:30 pm »
I use a modified Dyna III with KT120s for mids on my T IV, but the mids are a BG Neo8 line array so it is not the same thing. But with the great sensitivity of the drivers (95 db the way I use them) I can run the tubes in triode. Tech says the amps do 30W cleanly on triode, 60+ watts on ultralinear, said it was the best performance on the scope he ever got from Dyna IIIs in 50 years in the biz.

I can say with certainty that having a high sensitivity planar is what we should all want. Particularly so we can drive them to realistic levels with tubes for mids and highs. I don't think there is any advantage for tubes below 300 hz, so if you can biamp then you can really do well with tubes on top, though maggies will only make it marginally with a pair of 6550/kt88 per side for mid/tweeter. 4 kt88 per side is plenty for the mid/tweeter, but definitely not for a full size maggie in a large room - even with a sub.

Satie, I disagree...four 6550/KT88's per side is enough.   I know of several with that setup who have big rooms and are not lacking for power in that setup.

Jim

satie

« Reply #39 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:46 am »
Satie, I disagree...four 6550/KT88's per side is enough.   I know of several with that setup who have big rooms and are not lacking for power in that setup.

Jim

Depends on your listening habits and system goals. I "learned" audiophilia on a Quad with 40 W/ch of Mac tube power, but discovered that when push came to shove I am more of a JBL man. My JBL Cnturies Giant Sansui receiver and Lenco 78 were carted off for parties in modest city living rooms in my circle of 20-30 years ago. I like to sit up front in the concert hall and in the player's face at chamber music events. Those are loud positions and have transients pretty much hit you in the face and big drums bass bassoons Tubas and contrabass body slam you.

As I imagine Liszt playing in my mind's eye I see him playing a 20 ft grand with D'Agoult inside it making googly eyes at him. That is what I want to hear.

Your taste obviously differs.