Hum Induced by new PP+3000 Power Re-generator

Roc

Hum Induced by new PP+3000 Power Re-generator
« on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:33 pm »
I just got my new PP+3000 power regenerator, only to find that it is causing a large amount of hum in my Ampzilla 2000's (original model).
The hum is in the amps, not coming thru the speakers.
The Ampzilla's had some hum with my previous power conditioner (BPT3.5), but removing the ground pin on the amp wires reduced it to a tolerable level.

PP had me conduct a series of tests over the weekend, but nothing reduces the hum level.
Among the tests I conducted was puting a new plug on the amp wires, returning the ground connection.  But this did not help.

I should point out that running the amps on house current, no power conditioner of any kind, results in zero hum.

Any recommendations would be greatlyl appreciated.

Dave

Folsom

Re: Hum Induced by new PP+3000 Power Re-generator
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:35 pm »
What types of conditioners have you used?

DC can be a cause of hum in transformers (inside amplifiers, but not necessarily in the music).

Roc

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2013, 07:42 pm »
Prior to getting the PP+ unit the only power conditioner I've used is the BPT3.5 unit.

Before that i did not use a power conditioner.

The BPT creates a bit of hum too, but very acceptable.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:07 pm »
You say Ampzillas, I assume two of them?

How is the hum with only one of the Ampzillas connected to the power conditioner?  Any better or worse?

Frank Van Alstine

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:12 pm »
You say Ampzillas, I assume two of them?

How is the hum with only one of the Ampzillas connected to the power conditioner?  Any better or worse?

Frank Van Alstine

Don't they have multiple power supplies? Maybe we are thinking the same thing now Frank.

Roc

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:13 pm »
Yes, I have two A2K's in the system.
Even with one amp running, nothing else plugged into the PP+, with no interconnect or speaker wires connected to the amp, it still hums badly.  Nothing makes it go away, even running the PP+ in "battery mode" (which still generates AC power, but using battery power rather than house power).

audio.bill

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm »
Just an FYI - I have previously read posts from at least two users on another forum that have tried these latest 'improved' models, and they reported the same problem with transformer hum that did not exist with their previous models or with other power conditioners. They both tried multiple ways to resolve the issue but were unable to eliminate the hum, so they ultimately ended up either returning or selling the units.  :cry:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:07 pm »
Have you tried a DC blocker with your amps and the power re-generator?

You might find a used PS Audio Humbuster or the Emovita unit at a reasonable cost.

Our HumDinger will be available again in 2-3 weeks at $125.

One of these might be the answer to your issues.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Roc

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:17 pm »
Thanks Frank.

Where is this unit installed, between wall outlet and PP+ ?

The odd thing is the A2K's do not hum on house power.
Only when a device is placed in between.
Makes me think that the two are fighting each other, in some way.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:24 pm »
Thanks Frank.

Where is this unit installed, between wall outlet and PP+ ?

The odd thing is the A2K's do not hum on house power.
Only when a device is placed in between.
Makes me think that the two are fighting each other, in some way.

Dave
If you remove the PP and the noise is gone, then ditch the PP.  Seriously.  Adding another component to the chain to solve a problem that a component caused is counter intuitive IMO.  Either ditch the PP for nothing or ditch it and try something else like the P.I. Audio UberBuss. 

Roc

« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:16 pm »
There is definitely some logic to what you are saying.
I was attracted to the PP+3000 because it creates new/perfect power, using a battery power supply.
Short of using batteries proper, which i have no experience with, this sounded like the way to go.
Live and learn!

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:38 pm »
Do you have anything in your system that is not plugged into the PP+3000? Even a coax going from this (isolated) system to a component that is not part of the system, may  impart a current flow to ground, because there is a differential to ground between the 2 ground points.

This could be something simple, like an FM tuner's coax connections going to an antenna preamp, that is not powered by the same PP+3000 power grid. Or is there a "wall wart" that is not on the system, but is powering a component (like a TT with a 24v DC motor) plugged into another power source.

Wayner

Roc

« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for the comments/questions.

John Casler was asking similar questions regarding my Cable, suggesting much the same.

This is a dedicated 2 channel system.  I have an SACD player, passive preamp, and 2 A2K's.
I still get hum with everything unplugged form the PP and the amps,  or one amp alone with no connections.

The folks at PP+ had me run the system on battery only, with power cord disconnected from the PP.  But the hum remained even when disconnected from the grid.
On "battery" the PP+ is still making AC, but powered by the battery alone.

And let's not forget, there is no amp hum running on house power.

I'm sooo confused.

Question to anyone out there in this field:
How is the AC power coming out the PP+ different than grid/house power ???
If they were identical i would not be having this problem, right ?

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:35 pm »
Loads of scary posts about PurePower products on Audiogon. Including very long turnaround time on repairs, as well as hum problems. A company that I am very wary of at this point.

You could use a DC blocker to determine if there is DC on the line being created by the 3000+ (since it is a regenerator and you have no hum from the wall direct, I imagine it is not passing along DC from your AC powerlines). Though not sure how ideal it would be to use a DC blocker in that plugs into only one outlet to power 2 monoblocks. Others more experienced than myself will have to weigh in here.

BUT overall, I think you need to get PurePower to repair this or you need to get a refund on your purchase.

What has PP offered to do to remedy this situation?

Roc

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:49 pm »
I had trouble getting my PP+3000.  Took 4 months to get both units. 
At the time I placed my order they said it was "in stock", followed by lots of excuses and broken promises.

Currently they are looking at all of my test data and "promise" to find a solution.
We'll see what actually happens.  At this point I can't trust anything they say.

I agree, if they can't fix it, i want my money back.
But my preference would be to have a working unit.

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:58 pm »
I had trouble getting my PP+3000.  Took 4 months to get both units. 
At the time I placed my order they said it was "in stock", followed by lots of excuses and broken promises.

"both units"?

Yeah, excuses and broken promises seem to be their forte, along with unreturned e-mails. Judging from the Audiogon threads.

Best of luck getting this sorted.

Roc

« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2013, 05:02 pm »
The PP+3000 comes in two pieces:  Battery module, and Regenerator module.  They connect in the back via an umbilical cord.

jbtrio

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:02 pm »
I have their PP 1500 and my Spectron has no hum.

Roc

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:11 pm »
It seems that the A2K's will hum in one persons home, but are dead quiet in another home (same amp taken to both).

And likewise it seems the PP+3000 causes hum in certain amps (A2K's) but not others.

Either way this is a problem that PP must address.

And they need to publish warnings that this product may not be suitable for certain amps.

bummrush

« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:17 pm »
Get your money back while you still can.why go through all this?