I half-razored my Magnestand MMGs

jult52

I half-razored my Magnestand MMGs
« on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:13 pm »
I have been enjoying my Gunn'd MMGs for a couple of years now and thought Dawnrazor's razor tweak presented over at the Audio Asylum MUG was something worth trying.  I had limited expectations based on comments about the combination of framing and sound dampening but, after quite a few disappointments with audio tweaks, I believe this is one of the best time/value/money propositions I have encountered yet in audio.  It's a must for all of you with framed Maggies.

First of all, some background: I've spent a couple of years reading the generally very polite and informative debates by Maggie-aficionados on whether stiffening the frames or absorbing vibrations were the solution to some of the issues stock Maggies bear.  Much like my answer to the age-old leftist/rightist debate about whether deteriorating economic fundamentals causes lower-class social/moral decline or whether the causation runs the other way around (my answer is: both theories are true), I'll observe that stiffening the frame and absorbing the vibrations are not mutually exclusive explanations.  Both are worthwhile and have a positive effect on the sound.

Reading the debats, I’ve been wondering about the ~1” strip of masonite into which the drivers are fastened.  Masonite is a quasi-mdf material and never seems to be mentioned in the debates over on the Asylum.  In trying the halfrazor, my thought was that some of the vibrations inputted into the masonite could be siphoned away by the dampening material.  I believe this thought is at least somewhat correct, based on the effects of the half-razor, which was only applied to the masonite.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased Cascade V-MAX and spent under an hour applying them to the back of my frames.  Dawnrazor recommends 2 packages – ½ a package is sufficient to halfrazor MMGs and think a full pack will do pretty much any model.  This was an easy tweak .  You can read the instructions on a June 3, 2010 thread on Audio Asylum.  I had no intention of doing the full razor as I don’t think opening up the speakers is wise.

What were the effects?  Very positive.  This tweak was close to a component upgrade in magnitude:

1)   More tonal smoothness and richness, increased presence.  This was exactly what I was looking for.
2)   The bass got quite a bit better – this was unexpected.  I was taken aback by how much improvement took place.   Logically, the physical force of lower frequency vibarations would have more of an impact on the frame and the drivers than higher frequencies.  Listening supports that point. 
3)   A bit more detail was audible (these speakers were already very detailed to start with).

medium jim

Re: I half-razored my Magnestand MMGs
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:57 pm »
Well, let the debate roll over here :cry:  Less than 2% of Magnepan owners feel the need to Modify their panels, most of these are done on the entry level panels.   Very rare to see 1.6's and above models modified.  Some would call MYE stands a mod, I don't, just a nice after market stand.  DawnRazor is a super nice guy and his Razor will change the sound of the MMG's, as will other mods.   

I have 2.5's that I restored, the only thing done to them was upgrading the X/O to 2.6 specs and with better caps which was already done when I bought them.  I feel no need whatsoever to do anything else to them.  I had a pair of 1.6's prior and would have left them as is if I hadn't sold them. 

I have nothing against modding, but consider another model that already does what you want.   Wendell is well aware of all of the mods and how they sound, he also knows his marketplace and I will leave it at that. 

No doubt, those who do mod tend to be more vocal about it...

Jim

Davey

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2013, 04:00 pm »
Gunned MMG's with a Razor mod.......I love it!  :)

Dave.

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:05 pm »
Gunned MMG's with a Razor mod.......I love it!  :)

Dave.

I bet John is loving it as well!

Jim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2013, 10:06 pm »
Did you happen to take any pictures?

jk@home

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2013, 11:54 pm »
I have been enjoying my Gunn'd MMGs for a couple of years now and thought Dawnrazor's razor tweak presented over at the Audio Asylum MUG was something worth trying. ...

Good job. I also did the 1/2 Razor, but the "other half" (pole pieces). What a PITA, I was cussin the whole way though. But a definite worth while endeavor. I would rate it right up there as one of the best mods.

Note that my pole pieces face rearward, unlike your Magnestands. I would be weary of adding the stuff to the pole pieces when used for the forward output.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:24 am »
I have the pole pieces facing outward. In order to razor them, I'd have to remove my panels from the frames. The half-razor was a no-brainer. JK, I see that you're in the 'sandwich' camp - they look very nice. :thumb: The backs of mine are pretty ugly, but nobody ever sees them. :lol:

I've been thinking about starting a 'fun with MMGs' thread. Mine have served me well for quite a few years now, and they've been subjected to a fair amount of tinkering. They've been an absolute joy and I still love them dearly. Jim mentioned in another thread that the MMG is probably the most modded Magnepan, and I don't doubt that for a moment, but I think that may have as much to do with economics as anything else. The MMGs are, by hifi standards, rather cheap. Their reasonably lost cost makes them ideal candidates for experimentation, and that's a great thing - there are mods that pay dividends. To say that is, in no way, meant to infer that Magnepan's product is shoddy. I couldn't be more grateful to Magnepan for producing such a superb entry level product - the panel is pretty darn terrific. Dave's point in another thread is that the MMG and 1.6 have panels that differ in little more than scale. It could be a fun thread - lots of great projects have personalized Magnepan's 'little' diamond in the rough.

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:55 am »
"I believe this is one of the best time/value/money propositions I have encountered yet in audio. This tweak was close to a component upgrade in magnitude."

Done deal. It will be near last on my list of upgrades but it's something I want to try. From the way you describe it, and how good the Gunned maggies sound already, then definitely looking forward to researching and planning this out.