Re: Gas Grill recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2013, 01:30 pm »
Hey do you lot have the "Weber Q"... ?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2013, 01:30 pm »
Was it a Home Depot model or a brand name? What name please?
I meant to check, and forgot.  :duh:
I'm at work, but if memory serves, it's a "Charm-Glo", or something to that effect.
Don't quote me on that, I'd hate to give a good company a bad name if I'm wrong.
I'll find out for sure.

Bob

rodge827

« Reply #22 on: 7 May 2013, 02:31 pm »
I bought a Stainless Steel Ducane from Home Depot about 7 years ago.
It was a made for Home Depot unit, and was the only one they carried that I could use with Natural Gas.
Otherwise I would have had to special order a different unit, and they couldn't give me an exact delivery date.
Bottom line, I should have bought a Weber!
A close friend has used his Weber for about 5 years and has never had to do the work on his that I do to mine.
Every year I put about $100.00 in new burner tubes, igniters, sizzle plates, and various other parts.
To be fair we do grill year round, about 3-4 times a week, so it does get a lot of use.
Thanks for the Grill Mates link, I'll be ordering a set soon enough.

TomS

« Reply #23 on: 7 May 2013, 02:35 pm »
My Webers are both natural gas, now with the Grill Grates in place of the standard ones I used to have. My maintenance has been fairly low over the years and parts are always readily available, even these very old ones.

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 7 May 2013, 02:51 pm »
I assemble Weber grills for my friends store, downtown. I own the Genesis e-310 Special Edition Gas Grill (on the deck), the Q100 gas grill (1.1lb propane cylinder) for the garage (and for picnics), the charcoal One Touch Gold and the little Smoky Joe used for overflow and recreational fires in the back yard.

Webers are built to last, they are engineered very well and most are still made in the USA (not the Spirit series). I recommend them to everyone. The neighbor has the "Green Egg" across the street. Costs too much, heavier then hell and requires special wood pellet fuel. I'm not impressed.

Anyway, Weber gas is hard to beat. BTW, a Weber LP gas grill can no longer be field adapted for natural gas. They must be now ordered from the factory that way, or so I've been told.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 7 May 2013, 02:54 pm »
I bought a Stainless Steel Ducane from Home Depot about 7 years ago.
It was a made for Home Depot unit, and was the only one they carried that I could use with Natural Gas.
Otherwise I would have had to special order a different unit, and they couldn't give me an exact delivery date.
Bottom line, I should have bought a Weber!
A close friend has used his Weber for about 5 years and has never had to do the work on his that I do to mine.
Every year I put about $100.00 in new burner tubes, igniters, sizzle plates, and various other parts.
To be fair we do grill year round, about 3-4 times a week, so it does get a lot of use.
Thanks for the Grill Mates link, I'll be ordering a set soon enough.

Ducane was bought by Weber a few years ago and now has been discontinued. I believe that replacement parts can still be had thru Weber.

Wayner

saeyedoc

« Reply #26 on: 7 May 2013, 03:23 pm »
I finally got around to replacing a built in grill that came with our home. Ended up with a 36" DCS. It was expensive, but it's very well built and puts out impressive amounts of heat.
I'm normally a big Weber fan, but with the higher price of built-ins, this wasn't much more expensive.
I also have a Weber kettle and smoker in addition to the gas grill.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 7 May 2013, 03:34 pm »
Hey do you lot have the "Weber Q"... ?

Yes, I found one for $400 >>HERE<<.
Do you have one?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 7 May 2013, 04:10 pm »
Was it a Home Depot model or a brand name? What name please?
My wife confirmed that the unit is called a "Charmglow".

rodge827

« Reply #29 on: 7 May 2013, 04:32 pm »
Ducane was bought by Weber a few years ago and now has been discontinued. I believe that replacement parts can still be had thru Weber.

Wayner

Yes Wayner the parts can be bought through Weber, and are cheaper there than through any parts retailer.
I found that out last year, and thanks for the heads up.  8)

Chris

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 7 May 2013, 04:41 pm »
Wayner -you are a grillmaster!  Glad to hear your comments on Weber.

Bob - I believe Charmglow is a brand owned by Home Depot.  Probably made by the same Chinese plant that cranked out my old Grillmaster grill.  That grill looked cool and we received it as a housewarming gift.  Everything looked cool on the surface but the non stainless sections were made of cheap pot metal.  It rusted out and was on the curb for the garbage man within two years. 

I really love my Weber Genesis and recommend it highly.  We use it 4-5 times a week and store it outside.  It still looks and functions great.   Best grill I have ever owned. 

Wayner

« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2013, 04:43 pm »
Do you have one?

I put one of those together and I thought some of it was  kind of cheezy. The skirting to hide the LP tank needs to be redesigned.

At $400, I'd look at a 2 burner Spirit (don't know exact model number, catalog at work) instead. If you need a small footprint, that one has fold down side shelves, and is built pretty good. Does have SST burners, but the burner bars are porcelain enameled steel, and the grill surface is die-cast steel.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2013, 04:49 pm »
Thanks Jackman!

I have gone thru 4 Weber One Touch Golds and on my second Genesis. I have been the "summer" chef since about 1980. If charcoal causes cancer, I'm a dead man.

I am also in a very slow process of writing my own cookbook, using mostly photo's. It's kind of a starter book for newbie grillers. I've done complete recipes for duck, turkey, chicken, ham, pork roast, beef roast, T-bones, ribeye, New York Strip, BBQ'd cabbage, and a host of veggies. Since I'm Norwegian, they are pretty basic. One thing that is fun to make on a grill is a pizza. The Genesis can get cranked fairly high (like 650°F) and the pizza on a soap stone come out piping hot.

I'm getting hungery

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2013, 05:17 pm »
You should move to STL, and be my neighbor.  :wink:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #34 on: 7 May 2013, 05:19 pm »
I assemble Weber grills for my friends store, downtown. I own the Genesis e-310 Special Edition Gas Grill (on the deck), the Q100 gas grill (1.1lb propane cylinder) for the garage (and for picnics), the charcoal One Touch Gold and the little Smoky Joe used for overflow and recreational fires in the back yard.

Webers are built to last, they are engineered very well and most are still made in the USA (not the Spirit series). I recommend them to everyone. The neighbor has the "Green Egg" across the street. Costs too much, heavier then hell and requires special wood pellet fuel. I'm not impressed.

Anyway, Weber gas is hard to beat. BTW, a Weber LP gas grill can no longer be field adapted for natural gas. They must be now ordered from the factory that way, or so I've been told.

Wayner

I second this. I love my Genesis and will never buy anything but from here on out.  :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2013, 05:24 pm »
Bob, I was thinking the same thing! 

Wayner - very cool stuff.  It's interesting because before we got this grill, we grilled much less frequently.  We grill all the time these days and even more in the summer months.  My grill is pretty basic Genesis and has no fancy add ons (infrared cooker, rotisserie, etc.) but I'm thinking of adding a rotisserie and a light so I can see the food at night.  Please feel free to pass along any recommendations regarding must-have add ons.

Also, the cook book sounds great.  Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jack

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 8 May 2013, 01:44 pm »
Do you have one?

I do. Very convenient. And tasty! Pricing seems a bit off.

I have no idea what Wayner means by "put one together." There is nothing to "put together."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 8 May 2013, 02:15 pm »
Regarding the "put together" thing....some of these models come in pieces. The biggest reason is that it saves space for transport. Generally nothing more than legs and side wings and burner installation. Some models come 100% ready to go.

Hey....for those of you interested in how a guy builds a smoker, check this out.
That's just cool.

Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #38 on: 8 May 2013, 02:55 pm »
Thanks Wayner, I respect your opinion and ordered a Weber Genisis today. Thank you much.

charles

nature boy

« Reply #39 on: 8 May 2013, 03:24 pm »
Good choice Charles.  I hope you got one with the cast iron grates, they really sear meats & chicken well.  Enjoy and cook up a storm.

NB