Any airplay recievers like the airport express that have a decent DAC?

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
I love the concept of the airport express, plugged right into my integrated amp but not a happy camper with the sound quality. Is there anything out there that has a better built in DAC with an analogue out?

WC

Not sure what you want to spend, this probably has better DACs. Connecting the Airport express to $400 or so DAC would probably sound better and cost less.

srb

Not sure what you want to spend, this probably has better DACs.

The Marantz NA7004's only wireless option is the RX101 Bluetooth module and doesn't have a built-in Airplay receiver for use with iTunes or Airfoil.

Micromega sells its WM-10 version of the Airport Express (it's based on an actual Airport Express board inside with the addition of its own clock, power supply and nice casework), but at $1595, it still seems very overpriced, especially considering it still uses the Airport Express DAC.

Steve

Vedder323

• New Record Day

WC

The Marantz NA7004's only wireless option is the RX101 Bluetooth module and doesn't have a built-in Airplay receiver for use with iTunes or Airfoil.

It supports airplay, but only through its ethernet connection. Doesn't have a Wi-fi receiver.

neekomax

Just found this... 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033DNP720A/Denon-DNP-720AE.html?tp=7046&awkw=30217929145&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=8622267025&awdv=c

Good find!

Assuming the user reviews are good, that thing, all the way. Built in wi-fi, hi-rez capable with a thumb drive, optical out so you can upgrade to a better DAC, internet radio, streaming services, and FM tuner! Aw yeah.

I don't know why more devices like this aren't available with built in wi-fi to compete with Apple TV and AEX and whatnot. Seems like every AVR in the galaxy ships with Airplay.... through ethernet or an add on doohickey.  Lame. :duh:

That Micromega WM-10 streaming thingy is highway robbery! Who are they possibly convincing to buy that?  :roll:

srb

That Micromega WM-10 streaming thingy is highway robbery! Who are they possibly convincing to buy that?  :roll:

People who buy $500 capacitor sets, $1000 power cords, etc.  It's all relative, and in that light it's actually a smoking bargain!

Steve

neekomax

People who buy $500 capacitor sets, $1000 power cords, etc.  It's all relative, and in that light it's actually a smoking bargain!

Steve

Weeeellllll, it's actually a little different from that. As you pointed out, they've basically dressed up a $129 product in a shiny box and charged 10X that. The $1,000 power cable is (hopefully) a product that is engineered from the ground up, not a stock cable with cool sheathing. 

skunark

I love the concept of the airport express, plugged right into my integrated amp but not a happy camper with the sound quality. Is there anything out there that has a better built in DAC with an analogue out?

Have you tried using the mini-toslink optical output to a better dac?     

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Have you tried using the mini-toslink optical output to a better dac?   

Thats another option.

Vedder323

• New Record Day

srb

Weeeellllll, it's actually a little different from that. As you pointed out, they've basically dressed up a $129 product in a shiny box and charged 10X that. The $1,000 power cable is (hopefully) a product that is engineered from the ground up, not a stock cable with cool sheathing.

Nope.  They've added clock circuitry, a few other circuit upgrades and their own linear power supply.  It's not a fantastic value, but it's far beyond a length of electrical cable with connectors.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
A couple from Yamaha:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57408045-221/yamahas-2012-midrange-receivers-boast-airplay-4k-support/

"Pioneer's competing VSX-822-K 5.1 AV receiver also offers AirPlay."

Another option for reportedly better sound quality is the NuForce AirDAC.  Comes with two options: $179 for USB transmitter from computer plus receiver; or $199 for iOS/Android connection.  Add powered speakers and an iOS/Android for control and your system is complete:

http://nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=11&Itemid=199

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
As others have suggested, your money would probably be better spent on a better DAC than a receiver / amp w/ airplay.  Unless having a "one box" solution is really that important to you.  If it is, I'd suggest something like a Bel Canto C5i or C7r or equivalent from one of the high end manufacturers if it's within budget. They don't have airplay, but you can feed the airport express optical to it.

I have a Marantz AV7005 with airplay and about as decent an internal DAC as you'll find in mass market receiver / processors.  Nonetheless I don't use airplay & the internal DAC - I use a good quality external DAC fed by a mac mini.

I'd suggest if you've already invested in an airport express, use the optical out to a good dac to your current integrated amp (assuming you like your integrated amp).

If you don't already have an airport express, I'd suggest some Squeezebox device (Duet / Touch).  These devices alone - particularly if modded / upgraded power supplies - will sound better than the airport express DAC and not cost you much more.  If you want to upgrade from there, they make better media streamers - if nothing else because of their coaxial digital outputs - than an airport express.

stephengrenfell

Nope.  They've added clock circuitry, a few other circuit upgrades and their own linear power supply.  It's not a fantastic value, but it's far beyond a length of electrical cable with connectors.

Steve

Having heard one of these Micomega devices on demo I was curious....  photo's on the web showed not a lot in the box.. as mentioned thier added value seems to be the clocking circuit (and I thought a good DAC..) plus the linear power supply.

Anyways I found one on sale by the classfied adds not from where I live. So I called the seller and went to visit.. and after having listened to the WM-10 installed in his sytem haggled for a good price... 2 hours later I headed home with the WM-10...

At home I have a simple system of an Audiolab 8200CDQ (CD/DAC/preamp) plus a pair of Quad80 valve mono amps into a pair of Focal JMlabs 936's.  Fairy modest by the higher end audiophile standards....but none the less somewhat above a run of the mill high street HiFi.   To get to the point.. feeding the WM-10 with AIFF music files over WiFi from an iPad into the Audiolab CDQ I cannot tell the difference from playing the original CDs directly on the Audiolab CDQ..

I agree the cost of added components do not seem to justify the huge hike in price from a bog standard Airport Express.  But the quality of sound produced is way above the few bucks these addec components cost..

I guess it goes to show that just because the unit isn't dressed up with lots of added features doesn't mean it isn't good value if audio sound quality streamed from an Apple device is what you want...