Wow, the PS3 really did suck

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Wow, the PS3 really did suck
« on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:31 am »
OK, ignoring the wind tunnel fans and the wasted gaming capabilities (since I never, ever game), I used the PS3 for streaming, bluray, DVD's, and 3D.  After several years the PS3 finally stopped reading optical discs, so into the recycle it goes.  I have my eye on the PS4, coming out in a few months, so what to do in the meantime?

Buy a cheap 3D bluray player from Best Buy to hold me over till then, of course!  So into the hell world of consumer electronics I venture.  And I emerge victorious with a cheap Panasonic bluray player able to stream!

Hooking it up at home, going through the setup, finally get everything going.  Put in a movie and I think the video actually looks better.  And the audio actually sounds better.  Try the next movie.  Try a DVD.  Try steaming.  Yep, it's consistent, the new player looks and sounds better across the board.  Nice.

TJHUB

Re: Wow, the PS3 really did suck
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:58 am »
I did the same thing in December.  I gave my son my PS3 Slim and replaced it with a Panasonic 220 for $100 shipped.  I too think the picture and sound is better.  No regrets here.  And the Panasonic is silent...perfect!

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2013, 06:15 am »
If you want a PS4 at launch I would highly suggest going into a gamestop NOW and getting your name on the list so they call you when preorders are available. Otherwise it's looking like it's going to be extremely popular and hard to find for a while after it comes out.

And in the ps3's defense, it was considered a top level bluray player for a good 3-4 years. But your comments make me curious about getting dedicated player. Or wait for ps4.

sparky46

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:15 pm »
I bought a Sony bluray player last year for under £100.  Months later I'm still amazed at the picture quality and sound. It is not bad at CD's either.  I hate to think what quality like that would have cost 4 or 5 years ago.