Looking to add a Grado to my collection

milford3

Looking to add a Grado to my collection
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 07:24 pm »
Either the RS1 or the RS2i.  I love the looks of these headphones but have not heard them.  I have perused many reviews but feedback from real owners is priceless.  Anybody own these?

« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2013, 12:17 am by milford3 »

milford3

Re: Looking to add Grado headphones to my collection
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:19 am »
Nobody owns Grados?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Looking to add a Grado to my collection
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:51 am »
I used an Grado at an audiometry some years ago and it was not confortable and not easy to fit in the head.
I would prefer the Hifimen HE400 for 400 Obamas.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2013, 01:55 am »
Not those. I own the SR80i. So the low end ones, they sound good to me, but I don't have any other phones to compare them to.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:12 am »
Hey!

I've been using Grado headphones since 1996. Started out with SR60 after one side die not long ago... I was rough with them was using them in and outdoor, I am now using the SR125.

Would love to own a pair of their wooden headphone, the GS1000i would be nice. But I don't listen to headphone enough to justify the cost.

Anyway, have heard other brands from AC members locally and at stores and show but I still like the Grado sound.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:41 am »
I only have the 60 or 80i's so I can't comment on their top tier models.
If their low buck ones are any indication they should be really nice.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:31 am »
Own or have owned the 80s, 325s, 500s, and GS1000s...love me some Grados!!

I haven't heard the RS series, but I'd go with the RS-1s for sure. Many consider them THE Grado...

Douger

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:42 am »
I have SR60's, 225's, 325's, RS1i's, PS500's and PS1000's. I have not heard RS2i's. I would recommend that you get the RS1i's because not very long ago they were the top of the line. If price is an issue you might be happy with the PS500's for $100 less, and I go back and forth between the two.
The RS1i's are lovely and sound lovely, the PS500's sound revealing and not as lovely, but very good.
Good luck, I think you'll be glad you got them!

milford3

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:07 am »
First of all price is not an issue.  I already have the Beyer T1's.  I just enjoy headphones so much that I want to add to my collection.  Grados are (from my research,)  just different.  Before I get the top of the line Grado I'll try the RS1i's first.  Now to grab the T1's off my head and justify why I want a Grado.  God I love this hobby. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:08 pm »
I only own SR60i's but I have heard the ones you reference.

I heavily modded my 60's, and to my ears at a Head-Fi meet in Toronto 2 years ago, I saved a lot of dough.  I built rosewood cups, blu tacked the drivers, punched 10 holes in the inside cover, removed the white cover inside, added a different grill to the rear, and recabled them with cryo'd Mogami using a 1/4 connector.  I also like the HUGE foam cups from the upper end Grados with these modded 60i's.

The RS-1 are excellent phones, and if you like the Grado sound, they are a great choice.

Were the RS-1 better than my Frankengrado's?  Yup.  To me, were they worth the $ over mine?  Nope.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2013, 03:59 pm »
I've only heard mine which are modded Sr125's, so I'm probably not the best source of advice but if I had the cash I'd get the best ones, why not. I currently lust after the 500's but I'm with zepp and mcgsxr the RS flavor of your choice should be good choice.
GS1000's is it look pretty awesome also!!!!! Lol, see I'm no help...lol :roll:

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:30 pm »
Unless one is willing to pay for the ludicrous prices of HP1 or HP2's, which are still the best-sounding Grado's IMO, try to look for a used vintage RS-1 with the pink drivers, which sound a bit smoother than the current white drivers.  Lots of info at the link:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/rs1-version-guide

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2013, 05:05 am »
First of all price is not an issue.  I already have the Beyer T1's.  I just enjoy headphones so much that I want to add to my collection.  Grados are (from my research,)  just different.  Before I get the top of the line Grado I'll try the RS1i's first.  Now to grab the T1's off my head and justify why I want a Grado.  God I love this hobby.

It's easier to justify than you think...I find the T1s to be an awesome complement to my Grados. I don't care for a darker sound; I prefer either neutral or a tad on the bright side. So I'm a very content Beyer-Grado guy... :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:25 pm »
I love income tax refunds.  Pulled the headphone trigger on the Grado RS1i's. 

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2013, 04:46 pm »
Those are really nice lookng cans....I am sure they will play very well...

I like my 325i's...

Please let us know how they sound!

Alex :D

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2013, 08:12 pm »
The Grados should sound just fine with the Schiit Valhalla.  At 32 Ohms the RS1i's will be a hoot.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 9 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm »
Enjoy buddy!!!!! Waiting Rent Rebate myself.... :wink:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2013, 05:16 am »
Milford's on a roll!

heathen

« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2013, 02:08 pm »
milford3, any thoughts so far on the Valhalla RS1i combo?

milford3

« Reply #19 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:24 pm »
I got home from work this morning at 1:00 AM and the Grados were sitting on my sofa.  Unpacked and gave a listen with the Schiit Valhalla.  All I can say is wow!!  The RS1's are rated at 32 Ohms and I knew the Schiit would drive them with ease but I did not expect the outstanding performance of the Grados.  Are they (RS1's) different from my Beyer T1's? YES!  The Grados are a different fit and sound but the Schiit Valhalla is excellent with ANY headphone I throw at it.  I need to put more hours on the Grados but I can say this:  The Grado RS1's are now part of my collection.  Later today the Grados will meet my Decware Zen Head.