Shoutout to Herbies Audio Lab

krustykat

Shoutout to Herbies Audio Lab
« on: 3 Apr 2013, 02:20 am »
I've got a set of Tempesta Xtremes, each speaker is comprised of two the Dayton Audio 1ft3 cabinets.  One cabinet has a woofer, the other has a woofer, midrange and tweeter.  In this configuration, one cabinet is placed on top of the other.  Rick had provided rubber equipment footers to isolate the two speakers from each other but recommended that I investiate better isolation alternatives . During this time I tried  some (inexpensive) sorbothane based isolation devices between the speakers that were no better (and probably worse) than the rubber footers, which probably prevented me from immediately  exploring better isolation alternatives. 

After a while I still thought that the speakers could have a better defined soundstage and  I thought that the isolation between the speakers was still the area that I could improve upon.  Conveniently, I found Herbie's Audio Lab on Audio Circle and decided to try their isolation devices between these speakers.  I decided upon the "Von Schweikert Special" which is described as "For module decoupling, eight Big Fat Dots plus two Square Fat Dots. Use four Big Fat Dots per speaker, one near each corner, with a Square Fat Dot in the middle".  Thats what I ordered and thats what I applied between the speakers.

All I can say is that this was not a trivial improvement, imaging in all 3 dimensions was much more defined and solid - it easily doubled the performance of these speakers in their stock form. IMHO, for about $87 this should be a required upgrade for these speakers.  If you have speakers in a similar configuration, give this upgrade a consideration.