Distorted bass from one Songtower?

cacophony777

Distorted bass from one Songtower?
« on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:39 am »
I just noticed that one of my Songtowers seems to have a distorted / less defined / buzzy sound with the bass. It's especially noticeable in the first 10 seconds of Ray Charles' "Fever" on the demo CD. I can really hear the difference between the two towers if I hold my ear up to each tower, one at a time, comparing that same section of track. On one tower the bass sounds clear and defined, and in the other it has less definition and sounds a bit distorted (not sure my terminology is correct here). I don't hear any issues with the midrange or treble. I don't know how audible the bass issue would be a normal listening distances, but my critical listening skills aren't very advanced.

To see if the issue was with the source or amp I tried switching the left/right channel cable outputs on the amp, but the issue still persisted with the same tower. Visually the drivers look fine to me, and I've only ever listened at normal levels.

If it helps, here's my setup:
Onkyo SACD player
Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp
10 gauge Blue Jeans cables
Songtowers with dome tweeters (only factory upgrade was Sonicap Platinum bypass caps)

Any idea what's going on here? Thanks for any advice!

Austin08

Re: Distorted bass from one Songtower?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:52 am »
Did you take a really good look at the rubber surround of the woofer. I suspect there has to be a crack somewhere. Also, if you are using bi-wire then take off the top wire (or the jumper if using single wire). Keep the wires on the bottom and play some heavy bass track. This maybe help you to diagnoses the problem better.

cacophony777

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2013, 06:05 am »
Thanks for the ideas.

As far as I can tell the drivers and rubber surrounds look brand new. I can take some high resolution photos if it would help. The speakers aren't bi-wire.

Austin08

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2013, 06:25 am »
I know this is stupid suggestion but make sure your conection is not out of phase on that tower. Another possibility is your caps is going bad.

cacophony777

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2013, 06:39 am »
Yep, polarity seems right (red/red, black/black)

I uploaded some high resolution photos here which show speaker placement (the speaker on the left is the one with the issue), and a closeup of each driver:

http://webspace.lenscritic.com/songtowers/

TJHUB

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2013, 11:37 am »
You've already determined the issue is with the speaker.  It's time to call Jim Salk.  He is the best path to getting things fixed up.

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm »
It sounds like the spider on one of your woofers has come loose from the frame.   Give me a call and I can help you troubleshoot it.

- Jim

laulau

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2013, 04:53 pm »
My eyes aren't what they used to be but it sure looks like there's a crack in the surround in the 3rd photo (DSC_1961.jpg) at about 2:30 o'clock.

Whatever the problem is, I'm sure Jim will take care of you in short order. 

Good Luck.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2013, 04:59 pm »
My eyes aren't what they used to be but it sure looks like there's a crack in the surround in the 3rd photo (DSC_1961.jpg) at about 2:30 o'clock.

It looks like a split to me also.

Either way, spider or surround (or both), it's a woofer replacement.

Steve

cacophony777

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:26 pm »
On closer inspection I'm pretty sure that's just a mark. I don't see any separation including if I push woofer very gently with my hand. Not sure how else to inspect it. I don't want to damage anything.

Jim, I'll IM you soon to set up a time to chat.

Thanks!

PSB Guy

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:35 pm »
Sorry to hear about this. If you do end up having to replace the woofer, at least it's an easy fix. Had to replace one in one of my SongBirds, it took five minutes. I'm sure Jim will fix you up.

Cornelis

cacophony777

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2013, 04:59 am »
So I think I narrowed it down to a specific woofer by placing my ear right next to the top woofer and then the bottom woofer (while the same section of track was playing). The difference is very noticeable, which I found surprising given the close proximity. The woofer that seems problematic was the one with the mark in photo, but as I said it really doesn't appear to be a tear on close inspection.