MarkAudio?

JeffB

MarkAudio?
« on: 1 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm »
I was looking around for pricing on MarkAudio drivers.
MarkAudio shows the following companies as dealers.
Creative Sound Solutions -- no longer lists MarkAudio drivers
Planet 10 Hi-Fi -- only has "enabled" versions at much higher prices
Solen -- no longer lists MarkAudio dirvers
Madisound -- is mostly out of stock.

There are other dealers though for other countries that I did not look at.
So I went looking for news as to why they were out of stock, like new models on the horizon.
Google shows zero mention of MarkAudio drivers since 2011.  For drivers that were garnishing such praise I find this odd.

Does anybody know what is going on at MarkAudio with their Alpair drivers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: MarkAudio?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm »
His drivers sells fast in any shop, its hand made by few people in HongKong, they are a small hi tech company.
The production are in batch which are not thousands of drivers for quality purposes.

ejfud

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm »
Mark is experiencing some health problems at the moment as well, so they have not done a run of drivers for a bit. Supplies shrinking everywhere.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2013, 11:39 pm »
Sorry to know it, hope he gets well soon.
I would like to see many paper cones from Mark Audio in the future.

doorman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:02 am »
His metal cone offerings are not to shabby either!
Don

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:24 am »
I was looking around for pricing on MarkAudio drivers.
MarkAudio shows the following companies as dealers.
Creative Sound Solutions -- no longer lists MarkAudio drivers
Planet 10 Hi-Fi -- only has "enabled" versions at much higher prices
Solen -- no longer lists MarkAudio dirvers
Madisound -- is mostly out of stock.

There are other dealers though for other countries that I did not look at.
So I went looking for news as to why they were out of stock, like new models on the horizon.
Google shows zero mention of MarkAudio drivers since 2011.  For drivers that were garnishing such praise I find this odd.

Does anybody know what is going on at MarkAudio with their Alpair drivers?

Meniscus Audio has them in stock or so it seems to me. 

JeffB

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm »
Sorry to hear about Mark.
Thanks for the info.

Scottmoose

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2013, 09:17 am »
Well, CSS still seem to list MA drivers: http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?make=MarkAudio -there's also a moderately sized logo on the left hand side of their homepage. ;) Dave does only advertise his modified units, but if he has any he hasn't got around to modifying yet, he'll no doubt sell them if you ask. No idea about Solen. Madisound have simply sold out, although my spies tell me they should get some more stock in soon.

MA drivers are made in relatively limited production batches since they're a very small company who produce all of the components themselves, or have them made to their design and tolerance requirements. AFAIK, the only 'off the shelf' component is the magnet, everything else is custom. As a result, sometimes the main dealers can run out for short periods; the up-side is that since the drivers are usually recieve an update every 2 years or so, you're usually getting the latest model. I believe there are a couple of new units in the offing too. Mark is currently recovering from an operation to remove a tumour -since he's been very hands on to date, and the company is very small, this has probably held up producution slightly. The good news on that score is that he's making good progress -there's a thread on his own forum.