How to deal with network drives

mathgeek97

How to deal with network drives
« on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:01 pm »
I had been running my audio system as
FLAC files on a USB drive -> MBP -> Audirvana/iTunes -> m2tech hiFace two -> the rest
and have recently moved all of my media files to an unraid setup on the home network.
If anybody here is familiar with it, any suggestions on cool things I can do with my unraid setup?
Also, I have my files shared via afp, which seems to work really well for Audirvana/iTunes, but I always have to reconnect to the afp share on the network, entering my username and password.  Any good fixes for that?  I've not done much for networking on Macs and appreciate any any and all advice.  Thanks!

WC

Re: How to deal with network drives
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:09 pm »
I had a similar issue where I would loose contact with the network drive and iTunes would default to looking to the local drive location. I leave my laptop on all the time and very rarely shut it down, during a power outage the NAS would shutdown, but the laptop continues to run so it looses the NAS. I haven't had any issues with it since I put the password in my keychain. I haven't had to reenter my password.

skunark

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm »
To mount a drive automatically on login:
* mount drive in the Finder;
* Under System Prefrerences -> Accounts -> Login Items add the mounted drive.

A more robust way is to use "automount", someone outlined the steps here (googled):
http://useyourloaf.com/blog/2011/01/24/using-the-mac-os-x-automounter.html

Jim

mathgeek97

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2013, 01:02 pm »
Jim, thanks for the link about the automounter.  I'll have to play around with that.