VR-35 Speaker Placement

VR-35DeluxeExport

Re: VR-35 Speaker Placement
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2013, 04:24 pm »
Im going to ask my dealer to come over with CI-Audio D500 MKII monoblocks, see what that will do.

Delacroix

« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2013, 05:29 pm »
We're definitely interested in learning what the amp change might enable. I don't have experience with the Tannoys you originally owned but I think they were a more expensive model than the VR-35s. I assume the Plinius was fine with them?   Any opportunity to put the 35s along the wall either side of that couch?  Might be worth a try. Regardless,  keep us posted and good luck. And I second that comment on your space, a lovely home indeed. 

Patrick

BigSwede

« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2013, 06:08 pm »
I don't have any magic answers, but a few thoughts that might be relevant:

I have the VR-33, the plain sister to the VR-35, and they do loud very well. I am running a Bel Canto eVo2i II integrated.

I have also owned a Plinius integrated (8200 perhaps? don't remember) in the past, but not at the same time as the Von Schweikerts. It was a fine amp, and I doubt it would be the cause of your problem to such an blatant degree...in fact my recollection of the Plinius is that it sounded better loud than quiet, like many solid state amps I have tried.

I have to suspect room interactions here, or the speakers are not broken-in yet.

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2013, 06:44 pm »

I have to suspect room interactions here, or the speakers are not broken-in yet.

they are broken in.

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #44 on: 31 May 2013, 03:55 pm »
My dealer came with 2 raysonic M100 monblocks, which made my girlfriend unhappy...

The problem is the room....

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jun 2013, 07:15 pm »
strange... underneath you see a quote from the manual

So, according to the manual you need more than 200watt per channel to avoid distortion! Which I think is strange, because Albert von Schweikert himself did not mention this issue when he wrote his  comment (prev. page)
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2013, 05:24 am by VR-35DeluxeExport »

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jun 2013, 02:32 am »
Hello Sir,

I believe I know what is causing the distortion when you turn up the VR-35 Export Deluxes.  There is an easy solution, but please contact me via email so we can co-ordinate an information exchange without cluttering this thread.  My email address is: <albert@vonschweikert.com>.  I'll be happy to help you fix the sound in your room, no matter what is causing it.

Best regards,
Albert Von Schweikert

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jun 2013, 09:10 am »
Hello Sir,

I believe I know what is causing the distortion when you turn up the VR-35 Export Deluxes.  There is an easy solution, but please contact me via email so we can co-ordinate an information exchange without cluttering this thread.  My email address is: <albert@vonschweikert.com>.  I'll be happy to help you fix the sound in your room, no matter what is causing it.

Best regards,
Albert Von Schweikert

I have sent you an email, hope to hear from you very soon!

regards Joris

mdconnelly

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jun 2013, 12:57 pm »
Inquiring minds want to know  :scratch:   If you find a solution that works, please let us know.

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jun 2013, 03:31 pm »
Inquiring minds want to know  :scratch:   If you find a solution that works, please let us know.

I'm wondering what it could be, as long as Mr. von Schweikert doesn't answer with: Place your speakers somewhere else....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jun 2013, 04:41 pm »
Very nice environment, indeed.  Question . . would you be willing to try setting them up on the long wall?  That might kind of takeover the room as the sofas would have to find a different arrangement*, but this might solve your problem.  Whadda you guys think?

*if they faced each other would one block access to your terrace?  Ouuu.  And there is that vent.  So, perhaps you could flip them around in the same configuration :dunno:.

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jun 2013, 05:21 pm »
Very nice environment, indeed.  Question . . would you be willing to try setting them up on the long wall?  That might kind of takeover the room as the sofas would have to find a different arrangement*, but this might solve your problem.  Whadda you guys think?

*if they faced each other would one block access to your terrace?  Ouuu.  And there is that vent.  So, perhaps you could flip them around in the same configuration :dunno:.

if I place them up on the long wall, there is still one speaker which is placed in a corner, because the speaker which is now the left one, becomes the right one.
So that will not give me a better result I presume, besides of that I do not want to place them there.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 15 Jun 2013, 05:50 pm »
Whoops.  I thought the wall was longer so neither speaker would near a corner.  All the best.

VR-35DeluxeExport

« Reply #53 on: 18 Jun 2013, 01:34 pm »
Hello Sir,

Best regards,
Albert Von Schweikert

I spoke with albert on the phone (42 minutes)
I started to put Dracon in my bass reflex ports, that should solve the problem.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 08:45 pm by VR-35DeluxeExport »

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jun 2013, 02:21 pm »
Dracon...a new synthetic perhaps?  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #55 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:11 pm »
You watching too much Game of Thrones Gavin?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2013, 02:31 pm »
Don't get HBO...but then I'm told I don't get a lot of things  :P

mdconnelly

« Reply #57 on: 20 Jan 2014, 06:26 pm »
I realize this is a somewhat old thread, but the topic is all about VR-35 speaker placement so here goes...

I've been the proud owner of the VR-35s now for 2 years!  How time flies.

When I first got them, they were on the long wall in my 12'x24' living room. They sounded great there placed about 8" from the front wall and far, far from the side walls.  Bass was tight, deep and tuneful and the soundstage was to die for extending well beyond speaker boundaries.  But... then we started a remodeling job and I decided to move them into a smaller room and integrate them into my home theater setup.  What that meant was moving them from the long wall to the short 12' wall in a 12'x18' room. 

Alas, that didn't go so well and had me scratching my head.  The bass became a bit overwhelming and less controlled and soundstage collapsed.  My instinct was to pull the speakers closer together to get them away from the corners.  I also pulled them more out into the room trying to tame the bass (even though VSA says they are at their best when essentially against the front wall).  Well, that sure didn't work.  If anything, the more I pulled them out, the less controlled the bass became with less focus in the soundstage.   

So with more time over the holidays to play with it, I took a different approach. I moved them to within 3" of the front wall and 14" from side wall (from speaker edge) which placed them just a bit over 8' apart.  Damn if that didn't make a big difference!  Bass tightened up dramatically with far better slam.  The soundstage and image focus was also much improved.   Even just pulling them out to 8" from the front wall as I had them in the other room had a noticeable negative effect on bass and slam.  Now that surprised me.  I need to learn to listen to Albert when he says they are best when against the wall.

I'll continue to tweak positioning a bit but now in much smaller increments.  And I might just need to break down and consider some room treatments. 

Anyone else out there with similar VR-22/VR-33/VR-35 speaker placement stories?   It does seem that these speakers make most everything I thought I knew about speaker placement somewhat obsolete.   :duh:

Mike

Holli82

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jan 2014, 04:56 am »
I pretty much do whatever Albert says. :thumb:

BigSwede

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:40 pm »
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that setup would work. Apparently reinforcement effects from the sidewalls are mucking things up.
When I first got them, they were on the long wall in my 12'x24' living room. They sounded great there placed about 8" from the front wall and far, far from the side walls.  Bass was tight, deep and tuneful and the soundstage was to die for extending well beyond speaker boundaries.
This is pretty much the situation and setup I have for my VR-33s, mine are at about 9", love the sound.