Thorens 125 MKII running too fast

AlbumCollector

Thorens 125 MKII running too fast
« on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:34 am »
My 125 MKII is running very fast at 33rpm. 

Strobe shows that it's running slightly fast with the speed adjuster all the way to minus sign, and it sounds a wee bit fast.

It's running close to normal at 45rpm (with speed adjuster about one-third the distance from minus sign).

Anyone have a clue what's wrong?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Thorens 125 MKII running too fast
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:09 am »
Hi,
There's a service manual in the Vinyl Engine library.  That should help you or your tech figure it out.
Could just be an old capacitor or resistor.  Good luck with it.
neo

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2013, 06:38 pm »
There are known problems with the TD125 speed control related to aging.

I read somewhere on the web in the last couple days (researching buying a TD125 myself) that there is an obsolete part that slowly fails over time, which can't be directly replaced, maybe a potentiometer, iirc. So a some design work is necessary to adapt a modern part replacement. Sorry I can't find the exact reference.

Meantime there are some trimmer pots on the control board which you can adjust to recenter the topside speed control. That is, if those trimmer pots haven't already been maxed out. 

This post may help you to adjust yours to work OK for now, but in the long run, you'll need to find someone to fix/re-engineer the controller.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=68086&st=0&p=639957&#entry639957

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2013, 11:37 am »
Vinylnirvana dot com

Paul