So, Louis, what is this speaker tease . . .

albee

« on: 6 Jul 2004, 05:17 pm »
Your showing on the News page of the website?  Un-named and no-specs!  C'mon, you're gonna start a riot here.

Give us some scoop!

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/figured_gum_front_1.JPG

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2004, 12:07 am »
yeah Louis - give it up!

That doesn't look like a Fostex driver unless you've done a custom phase plug.   Are those 6.5" drivers?

Figo

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2004, 10:15 am »
tangbands?

Bingenito

Yeap
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2004, 11:15 am »
4" TB drivers from partsexpresss for $15 each. They look good.

I built a pair with a different TB 4" driver and they sound very good for the money. I was shocked

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2004, 01:02 pm »
Hey Guys,

Don't want to start a riot. Sorry I didn't post more about the new speakers. I got so exited to put them up on the site because they came out so good. The new finish is really nice and better in person than the picture. It looks like like a combination of soft woods like, doug fir, pine, spruce with a wild figure. The sides are bookmatched too.

The drivers are new TB with poly cones and aluminum phase plugs. The retail on the drivers are $23 each, so they are a little cheaper than the Fostex. They are 4 ohm drivers and I wire them in series to get 8 ohms and the spl will be around 90 to 91 dB in room. I had no problem with them using 300B SET, 300B PP, 6L6 PP, 811 and the Audiozone SS. I used a low cost SS (NAD) and they worked well with it too. Solid state is welcome with these. The drivers also have a lot of Xmax and the bass is very strong for its size. I was very impressed with it actually. The top end was a main concern at first, but the extension also was surprising. I did use all what learned with the Fostex speakers in particular the TS33s in regards to damping and overall design and using the same softwood MDF from North Carolina that sounds the best. I did hear the ZEN amps can handle a 2 ohm load and these can also be wired in parallel to make 2 ohm 93 dB.

I will be naming them Minuet and still have to figure out the price. The line will also include a Bipole 8 ohm and later on a powered monitor with a 20 watt Audiozone plate amp built in.

More to come, I promise including the leather speakers. They will be at the Denver show.

Thanks again,
Louis

cjr888

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2004, 04:31 pm »
and later on a powered monitor with a 20 watt Audiozone plate amp built in.

This sounds terrific.

More to come, I promise including the leather speakers.

Will this be called the Omega Ottoman, or the Omega Love Seat?

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2004, 02:38 am »
Hi cjr888,

I was thinking recliner, never ottoman maybe Cordoba.

George at Audiozone is working on the plate amps and it seems like it will work great.

Thanks again,
Louis

cjr888

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:50 am »
Omega Cardoba sounds good.  :-)
Sorry to poke fun.

Keep us posted on the actives, I own an AudioZone amplifier, and even from a convenience perspective, the thought of the actives is very initicing and I'm sure will sound terrific.