Bill Evens LPs -- horrible pressings...?

SteveRB

Bill Evens LPs -- horrible pressings...?
« on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:31 pm »
Hello,

First post here. I am trying to spread my wings a bit and learn to get more appreciation for classic era jazz records. I picked up a couple record re-issues of Bill Evens that were inexpensive. I found the quality of the pressing to be absolutely terrible.

I first opened Bill Evens Portrait in Jazz. The pressing was off centre and there was a high pitched tone through out the last third of the first side. I couldn't even bring myself to listen to side 2...

The price of the LP was on the in-expensive side. Did I get duped into a cheap grey-market re-issue? Is this fairly common for jazz re-issues?

Searching through Discogs, it may be a re-press of an 80's master... cheap digital master maybe...?

Thanks for any opinions...

roscoeiii

Re: Bill Evens LPs -- horrible pressings...?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:39 pm »
If the Discogs pages have enough info, you should be able to figure out what you have. It may be a Scorpio reissue. Learning how to spot and avoid a Scorpio is a good LP skill to have. Most new jazz reissues around $10-12 dollars tend to be Scorpio (the VERY NOTABLE and usually excellent sounding exception is OJC). In general, if you are looking for goo pressings for not crazy money of jazz classics, search out OJC pressings and some of the 70s reissues. There are many, many great two-fers from the 70s that are excellent. You often have to look inside the gatefold to see what original albums they contain.

jimdgoulding

Re: Bill Evens LPs -- horrible pressings...?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2013, 06:29 pm »
Most everyone agrees that The Bill Evans Trio Live at The Village Vanguard on the Riverside label has great sound and is great music and that would include me.  I'm fairly confident that this has been re-released by some source with much better sound and surfaces than the original.  Good luck.