watts per channel - noobie introduction

Johnaki

watts per channel - noobie introduction
« on: 26 Mar 2013, 03:38 pm »
I've got a lot of years listening to stereo.  However, I have almost no knowledge of what the difference is between WPC, WRMS, Dynamic WPC and any other type of measuring an amp's output.  I have learned through the years that one company's claim to x-power can be completely different form another's claim of the same power.

For instance, I notice NAD's rating has the same WPC for both 8Ω and 4Ω, however the 4Ω rating is for both channels driven.  Arcam's rating is considerably higher for the 4Ω power, but only one channel driven.  Dynamic WPC is much higher for both.

My question is, can someone give me a very simplified primer, or point to a thread that does this, that explains the difference, and/or let me know what you folks are talking about when you are discussing power requirements.

Thanks,  John

soundbitten1

Re: watts per channel - noobie introduction
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2013, 08:34 pm »
NAD amps usually have more headroom or reserve power than their Watts Per Channel indicate.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:12 pm »
Which NAD are you looking at?

Johnaki

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm »
Which NAD are you looking at?

I was looking at the c 356BEE, but only for reference to clarify my question.  I wasn't looking to buy.

It was interesting that I read the article about budget amps for Maggie's that mentioned the c3020 with only 20 watts.  At one time I had the original vintage model and still think that little amp matched with a pair of B&W monitors gave me the best all round sound I've ever had.  However, I'm lazy and wanted somthing with a remote.  After a couple of used NAD's I bought a C320BEE with 50 watts.  I was quite pleased with that for years until I heard a demo of Maggie MC-1's paired with an 50 watt Arcam integrated.  I've had an Arcam since.

I'm just researching options right now as I'm finally going to have a dedicated listening room and would like to learn a little more about audio.  Although I've listened for years, I really don't know much about the hobby.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:43 am »
http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm

Maybe in an Anechoic chamber or outsides would that be accurate.  It doesn't account for room acoustics or other factors.  I also find it curious that the more dynamic headroom your amp has, the more watts you actually need?  So if my amp has no headroom, I can get away with much less wattage, go figure!

Jim

geowak

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:53 am »
This is a youtube video that Audio Advisor has put out. It's not meant to be an ad for Parasound, just the president of that company, Richard Schramm, talking about amplifier power. It's actually informative...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_22XOakyxM

Johnaki

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:20 am »
Thanks all,

I'm learning a lot, but the separate companies don't make it easy to compare, do they.

John

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:48 pm »
Maybe in an Anechoic chamber or outsides would that be accurate.  It doesn't account for room acoustics or other factors.  I also find it curious that the more dynamic headroom your amp has, the more watts you actually need?  So if my amp has no headroom, I can get away with much less wattage, go figure!

Jim

My question is, can someone give me a very simplified primer, or point to a thread that does this, that explains the difference, and/or let me know what you folks are talking about when you are discussing power requirements.

He didn't say the definitive work of SotA science.  It's a fun toy that gives you an idea of how power requirements vary.  Quite frankly I've never done any analysis on the calculator, just casually played with it.

Johnaki

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2013, 06:03 pm »
He didn't say the definitive work of SotA science.  It's a fun toy that gives you an idea of how power requirements vary.  Quite frankly I've never done any analysis on the calculator, just casually played with it.

It was fun and I did play with it.  It told me listening at 92 decibels I would need 32 watts.  I'm probably missing something, but from what I've read here, that's probably not going to be enough.

I do appreciate all the info.

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2013, 09:10 pm »
We're almost always talking WPC RMS if that helps.
What speakers are you using, what size is your room and how loud do you like your music?

Johnaki

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm »
We're almost always talking WPC RMS if that helps.
What speakers are you using, what size is your room and how loud do you like your music?

I'm starting research for my first dedicated room.  I have nothing right now but a 9x11 1/2 empty room.  I posted a separate thread, Small Room - Want Maggie's.  My favorite dealer knowing my listening habits suggested MC-1's with an REL sub.  He set up a demonstration and I was sold on Maggie's.  This was a bit before the DMV was available.  He said with such a small space I would need to do some room treatment also.

I'm retired now and looking forward to outfitting this room as well as possible with the Maggie sound.  I realize its a very small room for the Maggie's, but I'm determined to give it a try.

My listening habits are very laid back.  I listen all genres, but never more than moderately loud, and rarely even that.  I'd like to start with the MC-1's.  I've got an Arcam 90 watt, a Yamaha 80 watt and an original NAD 3020 to use while trying to decide on an amp. 

I'm sure that's much more information than you need and thanks for the tip about WPC RMS.

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm »
Don't rule out tube amps.
They're addictive things.

Johnaki

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm »
I don't know much, but from what I read, tubes may be just the thing with small Maggie in a small room.

John

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm »
You might know more than you think you do!
It might be time to take a trip to your not so local dealer and see what's new and exciting. 
I would think a 50 WPC tube amp might do the trick in your case. 
I'm sure that others will weigh in with their thoughts sooner or later.

Johnaki

« Reply #16 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:30 am »
You might know more than you think you do!
It might be time to take a trip to your not so local dealer and see what's new and exciting. 
I would think a 50 WPC tube amp might do the trick in your case. 
I'm sure that others will weigh in with their thoughts sooner or later.

Any suggestions on brands and model #'s.

pansixt

« Reply #17 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:35 am »

For instance, I notice NAD's rating has the same WPC for both 8Ω and 4Ω, however the 4Ω rating is for both channels driven.  Arcam's rating is considerably higher for the 4Ω power, but only one channel driven.  Dynamic WPC is much higher for both

Thanks,  John

From what I've seen the majority of Solid State amps will give a double the power rating from 8 ohms to 4 ohms to 2 ohms.
Frank told me that Tube amps have the same output regardless of the ohm load.

It seems to me that I read somewhere on some circle that there are SS amps with the same output on all ohm loads. I can't remember
what this is a result of. Can some of you more knowledgeable folks elaborate on this?

Thanks

James

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:39 am »
If it was my system I'd be looking at one of Manley's integrated amps.
It would be simple, attractive, good sounding and great customer service.
They jacked their prices up by 40% a year or two ago so that kind of put a damper on things if you want new.
There's tons of good choices out there, though.

I know what I forgot to mention: I know that Manley has Magnepans as part of their speaker arsenal so they're familiar with the pairing.

pansixt

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2013, 12:40 am »
Any suggestions on brands and model #'s.

John

I know a member with an old Conrad-Johnson MV75 that will rock the house with large Maggies (1.7) convincingly
I will be comparing a tube vs more powerful ss amp when my MMG's show up.

James.