Fostex FF**5WK drivers

kinku

Fostex FF**5WK drivers
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 04:54 pm »
I am wondering if any one has experience with FF series drivers from Fostex? How good are they? Do they stand against ready made SDFR speakers?

sebrof

Re: Fostex FF**5WK drivers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:11 pm »
I have an older version of Tekton Katz Meows with the Fostex FF225K. I can't really offer much besides they sound good, I've not really heard other variations of Fostex that I can comment on.
But it may be a lead for google searches.

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:17 pm »
Numerous threads &c on diyaudio.com
re: the FF series Fostex's
don

kinku

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2013, 05:28 pm »
Very mixed opinions.Nothing recent either,so I thought would ask here.Please give me a honest opinion if you have any experience with them in Bass reflex models.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:45 am »
Mixed opinions is to be expected. Audiophiles agree on basically nothing :)

The new FF drivers are perfectly fine, and very affordable.  But every driver comes with a caveat of some kind.  In audio, this is known as "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" (TANSTAAFL).  In other words, no perfect driver -- not even for $9,000 (Feastrex D9NF which is fantastic but inevitably, not perfect in every way).

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:29 am »
Audiophiles agree on basically nothing :)

I disagree  :roll:

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:01 am »
I have paired the FF85WK, FF105WK, and FF125WK with different 15" woofers in an OB and thay have each worked really well. Probably spent the most time listening to the FF85WK and FF105WK paired with an AE Dipole 15 (how about that for a price mismatch) and it worked. Nice clean sound with nothing objectionable.

No experience with the bigger units.

No direct experience with boxes. If you want a truely full range boxed set up I would probably use the FF125WK, designing and building the right box will be the challenge.

doorman

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:13 am »
Very mixed opinions.Nothing recent either,so I thought would ask here.Please give me a honest opinion if you have any experience with them in Bass reflex models.
Hope you don't expect consensus, if so, I think you'll be disappointed---
don

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2013, 02:20 am »
Just buy these (if still available) and sell them if you decide you don't like 'em.
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114225.0

kinku

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:16 am »
Sorry Pals. I was not expecting consensus. They say even if you beat your wife up there would be three groups,one for you, one against you and one for both. :lol:
I was rather curious about the FF125WK drivers since no one has commented about them much positively.I also read extensive discussion about taming harshness(listening fatigue) from this drivers in DIY audio. I like their parameters and they does good in computer simulations,but so many comments on taming harshness . Ultimate testing is your ears.

jparkhur

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm »
I agree, just buy those...  :)

MJK

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2013, 04:53 pm »
I was rather curious about the FF125WK drivers since no one has commented about them much positively.I also read extensive discussion about taming harshness(listening fatigue) from this drivers in DIY audio. I like their parameters and they does good in computer simulations,but so many comments on taming harshness . Ultimate testing is your ears.

I have not found the smaller FF series drivers to sound harsh.

Many times a driver will sound harsh if the enclosure has not been designed correctly, this is particularly true in full range systems. The driver is not necessarily the cause of the harshness, it is the inadequate bass output form the enclosure that results in an upward tilted SPL response curve. Typically this is just the baffle step phenominon not being addressed. If there is a rising SPL response with frequency the system will sound harsh. In a different enclosure design a harsh sounding full range driver can sound very smooth and extended.

kinku

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2013, 07:07 pm »
Does your defenition of small drivers include FF125WK  :) MJK?

MJK

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2013, 07:27 pm »
Yes.