Not so common sense

geowak

Re: Not so common sense
« Reply #60 on: 6 Apr 2013, 11:32 am »
I hope you are on the road to recovery. Great lessons here. BTW I love all Western Electric stuff.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #61 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:07 pm »
The Magic Smoke is staying put, the sound is just how I want it, things have finally come together and now is time to keep my fat little fingers to myself and be happy.

Freo-1

« Reply #62 on: 6 Apr 2013, 02:46 pm »
The Magic Smoke is staying put, the sound is just how I want it, things have finally come together and now is time to keep my fat little fingers to myself and be happy.

The hardest part about owning tube gear is to know "when to stop tube rolling" and just enjoy the sound you already have achieved.   :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #63 on: 6 Apr 2013, 04:15 pm »
As many already know, I'm in the vintage and used guitar world and have known a few guitar players to literally try 50+ different tubes in the V1 socket (1st Gain Stage) to get their "tone"! The irony is that a good guitarist's tone is in their hands and will sound like themselves no matter what tube is here or there.  A good example is Eric Johnson who is uber fussy but no matter what amp he is plugged into will sound like Eric Johnson.

However, home audio is different, many do look for the best sounding tubes for their gear.  I'm in that camp, but I also agree that once you put some tubes in that sound wonderful, hands off.

I did have a quad of Ampex 7308's that sounded wonderful in my old Marantz's, but I used a quad of Mil Spec 6922's that got the bulk of the playing time.  I switched only when I wanted a different feel for a while.

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 6 Apr 2013, 04:20 pm »
I stop when smoke comes pouring out.

medium jim

« Reply #65 on: 6 Apr 2013, 04:24 pm »

But Steve, that is too late :o

Jim

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #66 on: 6 Apr 2013, 05:28 pm »
That brings the term "Burn in" to have a literal meaning.  :lol:

carusoracer

« Reply #67 on: 7 Apr 2013, 08:32 pm »
Carusoracer,
Keep us posted.
It turns out the Philco rectifier tube is a rebranded RCA so I've got that, two Sylvanias and an RCA 6SN7 going at the moment.
I have some others to fool around with but I think I'll wait until my tube tester is back from being refurbished for obvious reasons.

Steve will do.  I'm not going to be able to really comment until I finish gathering the Tone Monsters 8) for my shoot out. 
Sylvania really intrigues me. The 6SN7 tubes are completely different than there 12 ax au series tubes.

I have acquired two very good rectifiers.

Should be fun.

Freo. That Avatar is quite the business :o Man does that look good!!!

carusoracer

« Reply #68 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:23 am »
Use quality tubes, and one can never go wrong.

They just don't make them like this anymore

:o :o :o :notworthy: :notworthy: :bowdown:  I'd be afraid to open the box, wow! Very Cool.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 10 Apr 2013, 10:02 pm »
If any of you UV3 owners find yourself with a smoked rectifier tube, drop me a line and I'll do a mercy cap shipment.
Otherwise, maybe grab one or two from deHavilland just in case.  That way you'll never need one.