SOLD: Hifimediy ESS Sabre Dac

walkern

SOLD: Hifimediy ESS Sabre Dac
« on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:37 pm »
 I bought this current Hifimediy Sabre DAC, http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=85 mounted the board to a simple piece of wood with a couple of side panels to hold an IEC AC inlet and a set of RCA output jacks.    Please note the following: 1) This DAC has SPDIF inputs (2 coax, and 2 toslink) ONLY... NO USB.  (2) it comes with no AC cord, no owner's manual, and no real chassis or feet (see photos), and no knobs, (3) it comes with a wiring harness and 3 pin connector which is currently not in use, and last but not least, it does have a volume control so you can use it directly into a power amp or powered speakers if you wish. If you are looking for a dirt cheap little Sabre ES9023 DAC to play with, this might be your ticket.  I had a Peachtree Audio DAC iT for a while, and with the current wire connected to the RCA outputs this DAC sounds VERY similar.  Asking $40 plus actual shipping costs, U.S. sale only.

« Last Edit: 7 May 2013, 01:58 pm by walkern »

apocalypseon

Re: FS: Hifimediy ESS Sabre Dac
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2013, 07:12 pm »
Where are you located? Yours is probably wired for 115v. I will need a 230v wiring. Any comments?

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
I am in southern California, so you are correct that this one is set up for 115V A.C.  I don't believe the transformer can be adjusted for 230V.

apocalypseon

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2013, 08:40 am »
Thanks for clarifying. I just realized also that my new mobo doesn't seem to have s/pdif out! I'm researching budget dacs atm. It'd be nice if you could add a word about the audio-gd you've procured, in comparison to this. Also, as another favor, could you explain the copper wire bit a little more?

walkern

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:03 pm »
The output wiring harness that comes with the unit is a simple 3 pin plug on one end with 3 bare wires at the other end (one L, one R, one ground to be shared).  I believe they are silver or silver coated copper based on the overall sonic character.   I just took some short pieces of slender stranded copper wire (21 gauge maybe?)  I had laying around from an earlier project and attached single push on terminals to one end of each so I could plug it in to the pins on the board... and voila.  The sound seems nicely balanced with the copper wire, but the original wire / harness is included so the new owner can experiment and system match.

The Audio GD DAC I got is an NFB 17.  It uses a fairly large and sophisticated power supply, and has multiple adjustments for upsampling and setting the Anti Aliasing filter.  It uses Wolfson DAC chips rather than the ESS Sabre chip set.  In general I would say that the NFB has more authority in the bass, is very similar in the treble, and manages to extract a bit more detail through the midrange.  I find it easier to understand lyrics, and I can more easily listen to harmonies and background singers or instruments with the NFB 17.  Now, keep in mind that a new NFB 17 (with shipping to the US) would cost about $550, whereas I spent less than $100 on the Hifimediy DAC, including shipping and the cost of the IEC inlet and the RCA output connectors.  So, perhaps not a fair comparison?  None the less, I am happy with the sound of the NFB, which I would argue is a bargain at the current retail price, and was an ever better deal at the used price.   There is lots of competition in the 'under $500' DAC market right now which I think is a great thing for those of us who are not CEOs. 

I hope this helps.

Happy listening!

Neil
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2013, 08:03 pm by walkern »

apocalypseon

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:23 pm »
Whew! That's a huge help! Happy listening right back at ya. I was looking at a used nfb 12 for about 180. That's the reason I asked for your opinion on the audio-gd. Still not decided. Plenty of time, though to do some research till I come down the US.

apocalypseon

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm »
Forgot to add. You ought to be commended on your honesty. Especially on the same page you're trying to sell it on. Appreciate it. Hope someone buys it from you real soon!

walkern

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2013, 07:26 pm »
Please note too that Hifimediy does sell a USB version of this DAC (there's a thread about it in the Cheap and Cheerful area) that I assume has very similar sonic character... for those who don't have an SPDIF connection... and it's cheaper than this one.  So if that Audio GD doesn't pan out, maybe that would work for you?

apocalypseon

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2013, 06:08 am »
Hey, walkern, read your post a couple days ago. Just forgot to reply. For now, I'm pretty convinced by nwavguy's objective breakdown on the odac. So, will go with that when the time comes. I've decided to allot more cash for speakers.

walkern

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:08 pm »
Bump for new lower price!

walkern

Re: SOLD: Hifimediy ESS Sabre Dac
« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2013, 01:59 pm »
SOLD! 

Thanks Jay!