driver for 6/10 Litter BR system

kinku

driver for 6/10 Litter BR system
« on: 20 Mar 2013, 08:18 pm »
I am wondering if y'all can suggest a SDFR for 6or 10 Litter bass reflex enclosure.So far I have heard good things about Fostex but could not decide which one ,so will hear from everyone...I would limit driver size to 4-5 inches.Not planning on Horns due to space limitations.

rjbond3rd

Re: driver for 6/10 Litter BR system
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2013, 12:06 am »
Everyone suspects the FE103En must be fishy, because it's $50.  Oh well, I used to feel that way too.  I got over it gradually (after buying nearly every driver on the market).  But each person needs to experience a lot of hifi before realizing that price and quality have basically no correlation in audio. 

So in 10 liters, without regard for cost, you could do worse than these three ~5"-ers:

Fostex FX120 @ ~$250/pair
Fostex F120A @ ~$500/pair
Fostex MG130HR @ ~$1,000

Any of these could work in a net volume of 10 liters (though other potentially more optimum volume/tuning combinations are also possible). 

If the FE103En + SET + sub is off the table, and you're using a run-of-the-mill amp, I'd get the FX120 which is a great performer with more "weight" than the 103.  Otherwise, if cost is no object and/or you're using an SET, the F120A is a good choice.  The MG130HR is there just to make the other drivers look cheap.

kinku

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2013, 12:38 am »
Rjbond.My system is Cayin a70-t which output about 45-50 watts and I am planning to use a sub. I am curious to know FX 120 vs FE103En in sound qualities.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:18 am »
Oh what the hell, if they were wines:

The FE103En would be a pure, crisp, sparkling, simple under-ripe Chardonnay.  And the FX120 would be a rich, earthy, well-ripened Burgundy.  And the F120A would be that same Burgundy, aged 30 years, reeking of musty fungus as if you overturned a wet, moss-covered log in the forest and found a hundred mushrooms. Ah, the delectable stench of truffle territory.

Usually it's enough to ask whether you like rock -- if so, the FE103En is not the one.  But the FX120 could be, or at least would be closer.  No 5" driver is going to rock out completely, but some will still amaze on acoustic, etc.  You probably need to hear them to go much further than that.

kinku

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:28 am »
That explains a lot.If your question is about rock music?No I am not a rock music fan.The reason why I am after SDFR is for vocals. I like classical but not expecting a full orchestra through my full range.I like violin concerts and spanish   guitar. Do you suggest any driver in particular for my purpose?
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2013, 11:26 am by kinku »

rjbond3rd

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:35 am »
Honestly, I'd recommend getting several and then comparing them.  They are so cheap in hi-fi terms.  And you can always re-sell or give away what you don't like.  You could buy several pairs for about $500.  If cash is tight, you can buy one every several months.

kinku

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:55 am »
That is one way of approaching things.But due to financial issues all may not be able to try that option. I am sure no one is making absolutely horrible speakers. The whole purpose of discussion is identify few properties of each speakers that most agree upon. In that way may be able to find one system that may meet my needs. I am sure it is not going to stop there,but it is always a nice feeling when you get a good result.So I would appreciate if more members provide their opinions.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2013, 02:56 am »
Easy answer: Mark Audio CHR 70 in Silver or Gold.  $36ea.  Even better the Alpair 7 which is now on sale at Madisound for $60 ea. Surprised no one's mentioned either yet. Unless one has a fondness for Fostex peakiness (nothing wrong with that), the Mark Audios are superior in bass and treble extension, and well, just better period IMO. They are specifically designed for bass reflex with built in baffle-step compensation so no filtering or contour networks needed (usually ymmv). I'm sure Planet10 or Chrisby will pop in at some point to elaborate more. You can also search here. I believe I have a thread or two on them and there's plenty of feedback all over the web.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/

rjbond3rd

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2013, 07:43 am »
Hi wushuliu,

> Fostex peakiness

The FE103En, FX120 and F120A are -not- peaky, and designed for bass reflex.  As opposed to the peaky over-damped models, these are more similar to the Mark Audios (but without the "zing" of a metal cone).

>  Surprised no one's mentioned either yet.

We did on the OP's other thread :)

kinku

« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2013, 10:47 am »
Is that a fact that metal cones have a zing or generalisation from tweeter concept?

rjbond3rd

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:41 pm »
I've heard the zing on nearly every metal-coned widebander (regardless of brand) and it's usually fairly mild and your ears adjust.  So it's no deal-breaker, certainly not with the Mark Audio's, but it's there.  And it can be a positive quality for some recordings and tastes (e.g., cymbals shimmer with realism).

These tiny drivers basically are tweeters / midranges, although the Mark Audio are robust enough to do rock, home theater, etc.  (Mark Audio also makes paper-coned drivers, by the way, so evidently there's a market for paper-coned drivers.)

Really, of all the drivers mentioned, you can't go wrong with any of them.  It's just a question of your personal preference, your amp, your living room etc.

JCS

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:47 pm »
At the risk of repeating myself, I guess I better say this as it may be useful for some folks.

I built a pair of F120A Metronomes a few years back.  Wanted to find out about the magic of Alnico.  Conclusions:  these are really sweet drivers, HOWEVER: they sounded really poor with direct coupled SS amps.  They are nice with my old Sansui receivers which are cap coupled output.  In my experience, for best sound they need a tube amp.  I built a dynakitparts.com ST-35 for them, and the synergy is superb.  If I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent the money on the F120A;  they are great drivers, but (for me) not worth the premium price.

Cheers,  Jim

kinku

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:50 pm »
How about Fostex FF125WK.They have the metal cap but recommended for Bass reflex enclosure.Any experience?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:14 am »
For 6-10 litre, Mark Audio CHR/CHP70, Alpair 7.3, Fostex FF125wk, towards the smaller end of the range, FE103En, FF105wk.

dave

kinku

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
I hate to change my AMP which in Triode mode output about 25W-30W. I would like to choose a higher power driver than FE103eN just to be on safe side,eventhough I know I will never use that much power. Fostex FF125WK,FX120 Markaudio CHR/Alpair 7.3 are all seems like good candidate. Can anyone summarise their sound qualities.Also I saw some glueing for FF125WK? Is it what "Enabl" means.Little concerned with metal cones of ALpair7.3 , they may just act like a tweeter :scratch:.My purpose is to get better midrange for vocals (male) and string instruments.