Comparing BDP-1 to network players

miatadan

• Industry Participant
Comparing BDP-1 to network players
« on: 19 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 2 years I have used a Bryston BDP-1 connecting SSD directly or USB flash drives for music playback.

About 6 months ago I sold the BDP-1 after purchasing Naim ND5 XS network player ( combines DAC section plus streaming music from NAS drives + vtuner 5 for internet radio. This piece also had direct USB port on front panel.

I ripped re-mastered Pink Floyd directly to USB stick ( wav file )

Also had same re-mastered Pink Floyd ( wav file ) on Netgear Ultra 2 plus NAS.

The usb stick plugged in front panel of Naim ND5 XS sounded better than same exact files from NAS.

Conclusion is that NAS is convenient but direct USB flash drive sounds better.

Bryston is unique to have pure digital player without dac or other stuff that may alter sound quality. I have sold many Bdp-1 players at my work and happy that was recommending best method of digital music playback.

Curious if BDP-2 retains same sound quality as BDP-1? Has anything been sacrificed to add new features to BDP-2.

Will re-order BDP-1 or BDP-2 to connect to Naim ND5 XS as is as BNC digital input and reconnect my SSD directly to Bryston. In future use streaming section of Naim for internet radio only.

Dan

skunark

Re: Comparing BDP-1 to network players
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm »
I was curious why Naim didn't allow you to connect a USB HDD with tons of music.

One problem with uPNP is that it can convert the audio type, so perhaps the reason might be because of the NAS box itself.   I know with Synology NAS box you can disable the conversion to a compressed format to play the cd-lossless file, but wasn't clear if it would downgrade a hi-rez file.

I believe the BDP-1 and BDP-2 can mount your NAS as a shared volume and buffer up the file before playback.

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm »
I was curious why Naim didn't allow you to connect a USB HDD with tons of music.

One problem with uPNP is that it can convert the audio type, so perhaps the reason might be because of the NAS box itself.   I know with Synology NAS box you can disable the conversion to a compressed format to play the cd-lossless file, but wasn't clear if it would downgrade a hi-rez file.

I believe the BDP-1 and BDP-2 can mount your NAS as a shared volume and buffer up the file before playback.

I discovered that the Naim did not see attached usb SSD hard drive and only worked with the usb flash drive from front panel. I suspect that the NAS box having typical cheap power supply is adding digital noise to network which Bryston BDP players avoid altogether.

Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2013, 12:17 am »
Hi Dan

The BDP-2 uses the same sound card as the BDP-1 so I think you would find the sonic performance the same.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:48 am »
I discovered that the Naim did not see attached usb SSD hard drive and only worked with the usb flash drive from front panel. I suspect that the NAS box having typical cheap power supply is adding digital noise to network which Bryston BDP players avoid altogether.

Dan

I'm not entirely sure what the naim uses for a system board, but it's possible it may not have been able to supply enough power to the ssd as when there are initially powered on they can consume as much power as a hard drive initially.  Or perhaps the manufacturer really has implemented this limitation.  I would try sticking a powered USB hub inbetween the Naim and ssd.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:53 am »
The power supply in the NAS shouldn't effect the sound quality produced by your server (NAS).  I suspect it's more likely either due to the file traveling over the network or the upnp server is lowering the quality of the file during transcoding before sending it off to the Naim.  Either way don't believe the Naim or power supply in the NAS is to blame, but that's purely my speculation.

Cheers
Chris

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2013, 03:18 am »
The power supply in the NAS shouldn't effect the sound quality produced by your server (NAS).  I suspect it's more likely either due to the file traveling over the network or the upnp server is lowering the quality of the file during transcoding before sending it off to the Naim.  Either way don't believe the Naim or power supply in the NAS is to blame, but that's purely my speculation.

Cheers
Chris

I am using dBpoweramp Asset UPnP on my pc and the Netgear Ultra2 plus NAS unit is using ReadyDLNA

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2013, 02:00 pm »

I've only had a minute to look at the configuration page and i'm about to grab my suit case and head to the montreal show, but judging by what i'm seeing in the lower right hand corner dbpoweramp asset upnp server is re-encoding your files as mp3's.  This would explain why they sound better when hosted from a USB thumb drive.  When i get back from my trip i'll use it to stream some hi-res flac files and see if either the resolution is lowered or converted to mp3.

Cheers,
Chris

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2013, 07:04 pm »
I checked configuration page of asset - everything is ( as isn) audio format streaming, apply reply/gain setting is off ( unchecked )

will compare files on pc using asset to files on NAS as Nas is using western digital red 3 tb drives, music files by itself is on dedicated Intel SSD

Dan

btw hope you enjoy montreal show, say hear to James Tanner for me

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2013, 07:42 pm »
Those western digital red drives, how long have you had them and have you had any problems with them?

Cheers,
Chris

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2013, 10:57 pm »
Those western digital red drives, how long have you had them and have you had any problems with them?

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris

I have had these 3 months now and no issues or problems with them. Chose them as they are custom designed for NAS use.

The Western Digital Red family of hard drives is designed for the 1 to 6 bay SOHO NAS space, which is about as specialized as it gets. WD has several features that they're touting as critical for the NAS user including; NASware specialized firmware, Intellipower low power spindle, robust NAS compatibility list, three year warranty and a dedicated WD Red 24x7 customer support line (1-855-55-WDRED if you need them).
Customized NASware firmware which includes critical features like intelligent error recovery controls that prevent drives from dropping off the RAID due to long recovery cycles. The drives also are engineered with "3D Active Balance technology" which tunes the drive to eliminate vibration leading to improved reliability and overall performance.

Dan

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2013, 01:30 am »
If we're discussing comparing a BDP-1 to network players.......I really don't mean to be a troll here, but I still don't understand why the BDP-1 @ $2K+, and now the BDP-2 @ $3K, is so much better than say a squeezebox (particularly a modded one), that sells for a few hundred at most on the used market, or even a PC / Mac Mini w/ a good USB / SPDIF convertor. 

I know the BDP-1 seems to get universally high praise from the hi-fi press and owners alike.  Can someone enlighten me, particularly someone coming from another digital media player option such as a Squeezebox or PC / Mac w/ good software (Audiovarna / Pure Music / etc w/ memory play) and a good USB / SPDIF convertor. 

I know the short answer is to try one myself, but that for me is a lot of $$$$, though I suppose I can avail myself of a retailer with a good return policy. 

skunark

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2013, 08:41 am »
If we're discussing comparing a BDP-1 to network players.......I really don't mean to be a troll here, but I still don't understand why the BDP-1 @ $2K+, and now the BDP-2 @ $3K, is so much better than say a squeezebox (particularly a modded one), that sells for a few hundred at most on the used market, or even a PC / Mac Mini w/ a good USB / SPDIF convertor. 

I know the BDP-1 seems to get universally high praise from the hi-fi press and owners alike.  Can someone enlighten me, particularly someone coming from another digital media player option such as a Squeezebox or PC / Mac w/ good software (Audiovarna / Pure Music / etc w/ memory play) and a good USB / SPDIF convertor. 

I know the short answer is to try one myself, but that for me is a lot of $$$$, though I suppose I can avail myself of a retailer with a good return policy.

It's a tuned computer like a PC/MAC but without all the extra stuff, probably the key thing about the BDP is the custom digital output used with a first class sound card.    Then of course it has a linear power supply and is fanless along with an optimized OS just focus on the required functions at hand.      Definitely worth an audition or home demo if you have a dealer close by.   

Jim

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2013, 09:52 pm »
It's a tuned computer like a PC/MAC but without all the extra stuff, probably the key thing about the BDP is the custom digital output used with a first class sound card.    Then of course it has a linear power supply and is fanless along with an optimized OS just focus on the required functions at hand.      Definitely worth an audition or home demo if you have a dealer close by.   

Jim

Jim is correct because if you use a mac mini or custom built computer you get stuck with the noise of fans and switching power supply in your computer. Mojo Audio has linear power supplys for Mac Mini for $800 and $900 US plus cost of upgrade kit to allow your mac mini to use their power supply ( additional $125 ) And you still do not have first class sound card or custom tuned audio computer. If you do not already have the mac mini , cost of computer + linear power supply same as BDP-1.

Dan

werd

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:45 am »

I know the BDP-1 seems to get cuniversally high praise from the hi-fi press and owners alike.  Can someone enlighten me, particularly someone coming from another digital media player option such as a Squeezebox or PC / Mac w/ good software (Audiovarna / Pure Music / etc w/ memory play) and a good USB / SPDIF convertor. 

Why the bdp makes such a good hi fi component. It can be implemented/housed in the same vicinity as your amp and not infect the  playback with a host of noise generally associated with computer playback. Basically what has been  said here already.  All this noise gets picked up and amplified by the amp.

Utilizing a squeezebox generally sets yourself up for this.People run the device and the usb converter in the same ac realm as the amp.  The engineering that goes into the bdp isn't the same as what the squeeze box and likewise usb converter might use. The result is amplified noise into your playback.

Using the bdp lets you rack or position your bdp on the same shelving as the rest of your  system. This is a major convenience and luxury for file noise-less playback.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:37 pm »
hi, Jarcher!

...a "pure" network player always needs a computer since its only connection is the ethernet :thumbdown: so if your computer should break down for whatever reasons one day all you'll find in your network based player is a dead box.

Bryston's BDP is a totally different animal here. take it with you, place it here or there, simply plug in a usb hdd and enjoy your music. but you always need an external dac for the BDP, of course.

al.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2013, 07:42 pm by alexone »