VPI SDS question

ecod123

VPI SDS question
« on: 19 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm »
Hope SDS owners could chime in. Just curious about what is/should be included with new VPI SDS unit and where is the serial number.

Just received my new VPI SDS unit. Mine came in a plain carton box without any VPI markings. Inside is the SDS unit (not in any plastic packaging) securely seated in the 2 foam inserts, a power cord in a ziplok bag, a black plastic bag folded and tucked in the side and nothing else. There is no user manual or any other type of documentation.

What's also curious is that I don't see a serial number on the unit - where is this on the SDS? Or are these units shipped without a serial number, which would be interesting from an inventory and tracking perspective. I know that VPI state that it will not honor warranty on their turntables with defaced or missing serial number, for the obvious reasons. So naturally, I am a little worry about my SDS without a serial number. I don't think there are counterfeit SDS but I guess anything is possible these days.

sturgus

Re: VPI SDS question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm »
Mine came the exact same way except I did get a manual.

ecod123

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm »
Mine came the exact same way except I did get a manual.
Thanks, it's good to know.

So yours is without a serial number too?  Wonder how they keep track of their units?

I would have thought there would be a warranty card or something like that which we usually get with some electronic equipment.

I just read VPI owner's manual online - mentioned under Paragraph 3  Using the SDS, second bullet point "Using the supplied strobe disk ..." I am guessing this strobe disk is not included either.  :scratch:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2013, 12:29 am »
Contact VPI, they'll make everything right free of charge.  Great folks up there.  Likely you got a unit that was opened, returned, tested, something that made somebody open a box and not put it back together correctly before putting it back on the inventory shelf, happens all the time in small businesses.

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 01:54 am »
So yours is without a serial number too?

no, mine has a serial number, back side

I would have thought there would be a warranty card

it does

I am guessing this strobe disk is not included either.  :scratch:

it should be....otherwise the unit is useless (in so far as calibrating platter speed)

contact VPI......things are missing / not right

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2013, 04:21 am »
I can't check mine right now for the serial number, but it did arrive DOA. I called them and they sent out a new one before I could even send the old one back! Now that's service!!

Problem with calling them is it has to be between Tues and Thu, a live person has to answer, it's not lunch hour or when the factory is on vacation, and the moon is in the seventh house with Jupiter aligning with Mars.

But seriously, once they are on the phone, you couldn't ask for more!

Paul

ecod123

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2013, 02:24 am »
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Likely you got a unit that was opened, returned, tested, something that made somebody open a box

Mine appeared to be factory sealed on arrival.

Problem with calling them is it has to be between Tues and Thu, a live person has to answer, it's not lunch hour or when the factory is on vacation, and the moon is in the seventh house with Jupiter aligning with Mars.

I love that song!

Anyway, I did call but I think the moon was in the wrong house. Or maybe it's March Madness time. Or maybe because it was about 10 minutes before 5pm.

Here's my recollection and paraphrasing. I told the person who answered that I have questions about a new SDS unit I bought from a dealer on Audiogon. The answer was: "Why don't you call the dealer and ask him?" So I proceeded to explained my problem. Then he asked me who the dealer was and I told him. The response: "Don't worry, you can get the manual online." I asked him about the missing serial number and he said: "I don't know what to say." I then proceeded to ask about the warranty for my unit .... silence on the other end... hello, hello.... the line was disconnected, probably inadvertently I guess.

So I decided instead to email and received the following 2-sentence reply from someone in VPI sales:

"If you purchased the unit and it is in a sealed box your warranty is in effect. The manual is on line."

So, apparently my unit without serial number is legit and the warranty will be honored. There was no reply on the strobe disk, so I am guessing it is not included these days.

Just thought I report back with the nuggets of information just in case someone here may encounter the same issues when ordering a SDS in the future.

Gzerro

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:07 pm »
That is a pretty dissappointing story.

I have had a similar experience with the e-mail support from VPI. Very short and sometimes they don't seem to read your e-mail, so you need to keep sending more until they answer all of your questions. The moon has never been in the right house for me to reach them by phone. One the plus side they have always eventually got it right, it just takes a little bit of persistence.

I would recommend to be a bit more aggressive and follow up on the strobe disc. The online manual clearly indicates that it should be included.

"Using the supplied strobe disk you can determine if your turntable is turning at the exact speed"

Syrah

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm »
It's true.  I get the impression that they are making a transition between a small company that offers bespoke customer service (i.e. like dealing with Gary Dodd, where you just pick up the phone and speak to the guy who made it, who knows exactly what's wrong and exactly how to fix it) and a big company that has customer service procedures and departments.  When you do finally get someone at VPI though, they are really very good and usually fix whatever has gone wrong and apologize for whatever issues you've had on the way.  It can be frustrating getting there, and they will probably eventually learn that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (on their balance sheet too).  But I suspect they will right all wrongs sooner... or later...  They did with me, but it is stressful when you spend the big bucks and are waiting to see if everything will get fixed.

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2013, 12:59 am »
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Mine appeared to be factory sealed on arrival.

. There was no reply on the strobe disk, so I am guessing it is not included these days.

This is total BS.....on somebodys part....either yours or VPI. I have a question for you....what are you going to do with your SDS unit and no strobe disc ? Who did you talk with @ VPI ? without a name I for one don't buy into your story

Bottom line THE STROBE DISC IS INCLUDED.

ecod123

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:33 am »
This is total BS.....on somebodys part....either yours or VPI. I have a question for you....what are you going to do with your SDS unit and no strobe disc ? Who did you talk with @ VPI ? without a name I for one don't buy into your story

Bottom line THE STROBE DISC IS INCLUDED.

Below are some pictures of the SDS package as I received it, except that I blue-out the personal information for privacy reason. The pictures were just taken (see the laptop with yahoo showing today's FGCU versus Georgetown final score). The photos were unaltered except to downsize it to the required size for upload to AC gallery, where all these photos reside.

Having read the earlier responses, I have followed up with emails to my dealer and VPI (my contact person at VPI is Jack in sales) asking them to remedy the situation and provide me with the strobe disk. I did not get the name of the person who I spoke to at VPI because the line was disconnected before I could ask his name. Due to work constraints, I do not have the time to continuously call VPI. In addition, I feel it's better to communicate with them via emails so that I may have a "paper" trail.

Yes, the bottom line is the strobe disk (as well as the manuals etc) should in the box so that I needn't have to go through the extra miles. But I also understand that mistakes can happen and in my opinion, I find it counterproductive to jump on them. So I choose the amicable approach.

I started the thread to get advice from fellow AC members and I am grateful for the helpful feedback.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:01 am »
This is a ridiculous comedy of errors and there's no excuse either for the shoddy dealer or VPI.   You should return it and cancel your charge.  The dealer is helpless if you cancel the credit card charge.  I'd want a serial number on mine and it's incomplete, worthless w/o the strobe. 

To bad you don't know who hung up on you at VPI, but this whole thing seems atypical.  The problem is VPI is caught between you and their dealer, but really this is absurd.  Maybe if you tell VPI about this thread and the negative advertising, how you expected better and all that, they'll do the right thing.  Get forceful, emphatic, outraged - maybe if you call them first you won't have to return it to the dealer.
Good luck,
neo

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:09 pm »
This all very different from my experiences with VPI, I would only note that my best response has been through email.  Perhaps it's a bad week, or you got the wrong person on the wrong day with both the packing of the component and the CS.  Understandable, not excusable, I'd have to agree with the thoughts about smaller company transitioning to a larger company as the root of the issues.  Or perhaps the tragedy of losing Sheila has caused more problems than we see on the outside, she was an integral part of the business before her illness. 

I think ecod123 is following the correct path here, trying for an amicable resolution is the right way to go about it.  He hasn't trashed VPI once, only asked about what should be included in the box, and is working with his dealer.  It's frustrating, but it seems like he's taken a deep, calming breath before making any decisions.  I'm sure it will all work out with a bit of patience, if not, you can usually get Matt or Harry on the phone if they're in the office to mitigate if the whole thing blows up.

And they don't call it march Madness for nothing.   :lol:     

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2013, 10:01 pm »

I think ecod123 is following the correct path here, trying for an amicable resolution is the right way to go about it.  He hasn't trashed VPI once, only asked about what should be included in the box, and is working with his dealer.  It's frustrating, but it seems like he's taken a deep, calming breath before making any decisions.  I'm sure it will all work out with a bit of patience, if not, you can usually get Matt or Harry on the phone if they're in the office to mitigate if the whole thing blows up.

It's not really about VPI, shit happens.  OP was burned by an authorized dealer. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but they get around $400 of the sale and it's their responsibility.  It's up to the dealer to make it right. It's only a coincidence that VPI is even available.  What if he bought a Clearaudio? 
Are you kidding me?  Ecod is out $1K and he has nothing of value.
1) each unit should have a serial number and a paper receipt proving ownership
2) Owners manual should be included, not downloaded
3) Strobe missing - renders it nonfunctional.

Orig post was last Tues and Ecod is being dicked around. It's not VPI - that's why they have dealers, to handle customers and keep them happy. 
neo

ecod123

« Reply #14 on: 23 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm »
Appreciate all the comments. :thumb:

I am sending the package back to the dealer. I should get what I pay for.

Consider this thread closed. Thanks.

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:32 am »
Appreciate all the comments. :thumb:

I am sending the package back to the dealer. I should get what I pay for.

Consider this thread closed. Thanks.

good move.....something is rotten with this deal, best to get your refund and start 'a-new'

BTW, the SDS unit is a very nice piece, wish you luck with your next try !

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2013, 01:40 am »
If any of your issues remain unresolved,  would you be willing to let us know which dealer you're working with (publicly or privately)? I for one, would like to direct my future business elsewhere - there's more than one authorized dealer to choose from, right?

Also just to check - the item was sold to you as "New". Not "New, open box" or anything like that.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:02 am »
It's not really about VPI, shit happens.  OP was burned by an authorized dealer. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but they get around $400 of the sale and it's their responsibility.  It's up to the dealer to make it right. It's only a coincidence that VPI is even available.  What if he bought a Clearaudio? 
Are you kidding me?  Ecod is out $1K and he has nothing of value.
1) each unit should have a serial number and a paper receipt proving ownership
2) Owners manual should be included, not downloaded
3) Strobe missing - renders it nonfunctional.

Orig post was last Tues and Ecod is being dicked around. It's not VPI - that's why they have dealers, to handle customers and keep them happy. 
neo

Sorry neo, didn't mean to upset you.  Point taken about the dealer, you're right, the OP hasn't been well treated by the dealer.  IMO it's a little early to get indignant, not that I'm opposed to doing that when the time is right, like if he doesn't get a refund or the dealer doesn't accept a return.  But I understand your outlook too, can't say that I haven't gone off on the occasional fast food joint that was anything but fast.   :wink:

rif, as far as mentioning the dealer, it's never a good idea to drag dirty laundry to the forum.  The OP described it as a dealer on Agon and that's enough to understand the issue.  However I would like to hear more about the story as it goes on, how was the return/refund process handled, what was in the replacement box (or purchase from another dealer box), etc. 

vortrex

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2013, 04:28 am »
Maybe the same audiogon dealer I bought my Classic from, definitely a shady operation.

MaxCast

« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2013, 11:41 am »
The OP asked that this thread be locked.  If he returns the item and gets a full refund (less shipping of course  :( ) then this is a done deal.
I suggested that this is a good opportunity for VPI and/or dealer to step up and show how good their customer service is.  No more, no less.  So, no pile on, no more this or that.  Let's see how the return goes.