Proper sub driver alignment

emailtim

Proper sub driver alignment
« on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:30 pm »
Please excuse newbie questions.

The SuperV drawings show the 2-12" subs mounted on each side of 3/4" plane offsetting the back of the mounting bezels by 3/4".  Is this for convenience or is this for exact driver alignment?  If not exact driver alignment, what would be the exact driver alignment (0.0" offset between the backs of the mounting bezels. more, less)?

Also, what is the purpose of mounting the drivers in different directions?  Does this average out the forward to backward driver movements (some sort acceleration/deceleration averaging), balance the structural load, both, or something else ?

TIA

Page 3:4 of the diagram:
http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

Danny Richie

Re: Proper sub driver alignment
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:17 am »
Some say that facing one of the drivers another direction cancels out some even order distortions.

I like it that it balances out the weight of the speaker and makes it much more stable.

Exact voice coil alignments are not really relevant in these ranges where the wavelengths are so long.

And since the drivers are both moving in the same direction there is no cancelling out of force or movement.   

emailtim

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2013, 02:59 am »
Some say that facing one of the drivers another direction cancels out some even order distortions.

I like it that it balances out the weight of the speaker and makes it much more stable.

Exact voice coil alignments are not really relevant in these ranges where the wavelengths are so long.

And since the drivers are both moving in the same direction there is no cancelling out of force or movement.

Danny, thanks for the info. 

I bought these drivers for my MiniMaggies, but am liking them with my 20.1's (where I have an extra amp and active XO handy).  Once I have the Servo plate amp, I will finish testing them with the 20.1's and then try them with the MiniMaggies.  So far, I like the H-Frames positioned best on the outside walls on the same arc as the 20.1's from the listener.  Could probably use 2 drivers/H-Frame with the larger panels for some extra output.  For the MiniMaggies, 1 driver/H-Frame should be enough.  They do not draw attention to themselves and extend the 20.1's nicely.

bdp24

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:31 am »

Danny---Does this mean that two drivers could just as well be mounted with both facing forward?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:16 pm »
Danny---Does this mean that two drivers could just as well be mounted with both facing forward?

They could be, but you loose a few advantages.