What to Upgrade Next

jb26

What to Upgrade Next
« on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:30 am »
Hi All,

Below is my system, and I'm interested to know what you'd recommend to upgrade next.  I'd like to keep my next move <$1000 but could consider up to $2000 if the jump would be that significant.  I'm really interested in honing in on which component would be the most beneficial to upgrade.  I'm also a believer in room acoustics, but aren't in a position to change those in my current residence so can't consider it an option:

Windows 7 laptop running Fidelizer & JRMC18, most files ALAC
Music Fidelity V-Link I
Peachtree iDac (spdif input)
Virtue Sensation M901 with Dodd Buffer w/Psvane tube
Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 w/NRT tweeter
Virtue Nirvana cabling
Various Herbie feet throughout the system for isolation (it sits on sturdy furniture)

I have a few ideas about where the weaknesses are but would be interested to hear your opinions first.  As a system, I have a preference towards a neutral/warm sound.

Cheers,

JB

neekomax

Re: What to Upgrade Next
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2013, 11:56 am »
What kind of music do you listen to?

How about dual subs? http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers/dual-sb-1000#.UURdrVtARR8

jb26

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:04 pm »
I listen to mostly acoustic (Gillian Welch, Ryan Adams), rock (Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin), indie rock (Galaxie 500), or soul (Otis Redding) and occassionally heavier stuff (At the drive-in).  Basically it's post-1950s music.  Rarely classical, and basically never Jazz (Nina Simone exempted).

I'm willing to look at any options that would help.

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm »
I listen to mostly acoustic (Gillian Welch, Ryan Adams), rock (Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin), indie rock (Galaxie 500), or soul (Otis Redding) and occassionally heavier stuff (At the drive-in).  Basically it's post-1950s music.  Rarely classical, and basically never Jazz (Nina Simone exempted).

I'm willing to look at any options that would help.

Cool music.

As far as overall impact on sound, short of changing speakers (which doesn't seem necessary, but I don't know the Sierras), adding a sub or 2 or 3 (more the better, many say), would arguably give more than any change of electronics. It should be implemented correctly (xover, placement, etc.) obviously, but I love what active sub-bass does for my sound. The ideal would be subs and the new dSpeaker Dual Core, but now you're talking > $2,000 all in. Maybe just one sub and the Dual Core? There's a big dSpeaker Dual Core review thread on here, it's getting raves all over the web. Correctly done room correction seems vital below 100 Hz or so.

jb26

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm »
Thanks for the help neekomax

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm »
Thanks for the help neekomax

You got it, man. What's your plan?

jb26

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:16 pm »
Still weighing things up.  I got a few suggestions from another forums too (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/what-should-i-upgrade-next-15432/).

Subs & AC improvement seem to be getting support.

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2013, 11:24 pm »
Still weighing things up.  I got a few suggestions from another forums too (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/what-should-i-upgrade-next-15432/).

Subs & AC improvement seem to be getting support.

Nice. SVS got some love there, too! Keep us posted.