RS5 in a back loaded horn

Louis O

RS5 in a back loaded horn
« on: 13 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm »
Hi All,

Got a couple of pictures and some feedback regarding RS5 drivers installed in a pair of back loaded horn speakers. The results are great.

Louis
here are pictures of my speakers with your drivers.
Feel free to post these on Audiocircle if you like
The sound is just so right
Instruments and vocals are breathtaking.

Thanks again,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: RS5 in a back loaded horn
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:18 am »
Nice!

I have to say though... bass from BLH cabinets has always sounded disjointed from the rest of the music, I've never heard one I could live with and I've listened to at least a half dozen of them. Feastrex put A LOT of time and effort into developing BLH type cabs for their drivers and eventually gave up, they had regular old ported boxes at RMAF this year.

peter59

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2013, 05:18 pm »
These are my actual speakers in the above photos.

The speakers are the Cardersound "Tybones" double mouth speakers. They came standard with the Fostex 126Ens. Just love the single driver/no xover sound.
They sounded good paired with my Audiosector Patek amp and Transcendent GG preamp.
When Louis had a replacement for the 4.5 in Fostex. I hesitated at first.. Man am I glad I took the chance and purchased these RS5's.
Now the speakers have much more of a smooth response across the board. It is like going from great beer to great champagne. Previously on some music passages some vocals tended to be shouty and sometimes honky on brass instruments
Not anymore.
The bass is decent in the Tybones  due to room treatments, but to further smooth things out I have a bass augmenter.
Needless to say I am very happy with the sound.. and that my friends is what it is all about.
BTW: I have in my    17 x 14 dedicated room , room treatments ( Eighth Nerve   4 triangles and 7 rectangles)

Thanks to fellow ac member DaveC113 for getting me off the fence on the purchase of the drivers..

Big kudos to Louis who is a gem to deal with...

Now it is time to spend more money on cds!!

Peter

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2013, 05:33 pm »
Now you just need some of Louis' cabinets to go with the drivers  :wink:

No offense intended regarding the cabinets, there are definitely advantaged to BLH designs... but if you get a chance to hear the drivers in a simple ported box you might actually like that better. In any case, it's not a night and day difference, but the bass presentation from the 2 cab types is a bit different.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2013, 05:54 pm »
These are my actual speakers in the above photos.

The speakers are the Cardersound "Tybones" double mouth speakers. They came standard with the Fostex 126Ens. Just love the single driver/no xover sound.
They sounded good paired with my Audiosector Patek amp and Transcendent GG preamp.
When Louis had a replacement for the 4.5 in Fostex. I hesitated at first.. Man am I glad I took the chance and purchased these RS5's.
Now the speakers have much more of a smooth response across the board. It is like going from great beer to great champagne. Previously on some music passages some vocals tended to be shouty and sometimes honky on brass instruments
Not anymore.
The bass is decent in the Tybones  due to room treatments, but to further smooth things out I have a bass augmenter.
Needless to say I am very happy with the sound.. and that my friends is what it is all about.
BTW: I have in my    17 x 14 dedicated room , room treatments ( Eighth Nerve   4 triangles and 7 rectangles)

Thanks to fellow ac member DaveC113 for getting me off the fence on the purchase of the drivers..

Big kudos to Louis who is a gem to deal with...

Now it is time to spend more money on cds!!

Peter

Sorry, what's a bass augmenter?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm »
A bass augmenter is the proper term for most "subwoofers" sold today.  A true subwoofer will produce bass below 20Hz.  They are usually pricey and not all that common.  Bag End comes to mind when I think of a true subwoofer.

CR