BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

PierreB

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #120 on: 3 May 2013, 01:28 am »
Hi,
Am I correct if I said that to use the BOT, I will have to buy a BDP-2 and a BDA-1 or BDA-2.  :scratch:
If it's correct, why can't the BOT go directly in a BDA-1 or any other dac.
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #121 on: 3 May 2013, 01:31 am »
Hi,
Am I correct if I said that to use the BOT, I will have to buy a BDP-2 and a BDA-1 or BDA-2.  :scratch:
If it's correct, why can't the BOT go directly in a BDA-1 or any other dac.
Thanks

Hi

Different software would have to be written for the unit it is connected too.

James

PierreB

« Reply #122 on: 3 May 2013, 01:45 am »
Hi

Different software would have to be written for the unit it is connected too.

James
Hi
So if I buy a BOT, do a BDP-2 alone will be ok or do I need to buy a DAC also.
Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #123 on: 3 May 2013, 02:38 am »
In the BOTs current configuration you would need all three.  The BDP-2 reads the CD from the BOT and outputs a digital signal.  If you already have a dac then you would only need the BOT and the BDP.

Cheers
Chris

drummermitchell

« Reply #124 on: 3 May 2013, 02:42 am »
To bad the Bot didn't have a TD insert where you could also record the cd on the TD.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #125 on: 7 May 2013, 02:30 am »
You could plug a thumb drive Into a BDP and the BDP could record the cd to the thumb drive with the BOT.

Cheers
Chris

drummermitchell

« Reply #126 on: 7 May 2013, 02:40 am »
great there was a way to do it.
Chris, is  Bryston thinking June for the Bot's release.
I have to watch a bit as did the BDA-2 and 3.7's this month,frig it bring it on :lol:.
thx Chris.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #127 on: 8 May 2013, 02:10 am »
This summer isn't likely, there is no eta, just an early prototype to get feedback.

Cheers
Chris

drummermitchell

« Reply #128 on: 9 May 2013, 01:57 am »
So Chris,is the feedback good enough that the Bot will become a reality.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #129 on: 10 May 2013, 03:57 am »
99% chance it will become a reality, just today James and I where discusing the steps still needed to be taken and who would be available to Finnish the hardware portion of the project. the other thing is rather then integrate the software into loony loon(S1.XX), we'd rather simply integrate the software into manic moose (S2.XX) our next major firmware release.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #130 on: 27 Jun 2013, 07:15 pm »
Further progress on the BOT-1, Chris?

Of course, you could skip the Manic Moose firmware and go right to Nattering Nabobs.  :wink:

Cheerio,

Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #131 on: 28 Jun 2013, 02:31 am »
Hi Rich,

After further feedback the project is under redesign again, mainly to lower the cost of the final product.  We will take the name under advisement; but we are trying to keep a trend of Canadian wild life going. 

Cheers,
Chris

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #132 on: 28 Jun 2013, 09:10 pm »
OK, Chris: Nasty Newt?

There are species native to Canada.

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #133 on: 29 Jun 2013, 12:13 am »
Chris, James, how extensive is the BOT-1 redesign (a secret partnership with Molson)? This brings a new meaning to feature-rich:

http://gizmodo.com/how-a-fridge-full-of-beer-that-only-unlocks-for-canadia-596858353

Passport required?

Rich

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #134 on: 3 Jul 2013, 11:59 pm »
As I mentioned earlier in the year there is all lot in the works at Bryston right now. 
Cheers,
Chris

Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the new stuff.

Karhu

« Reply #135 on: 31 Jul 2013, 07:19 pm »
Hi Rich,

After further feedback the project is under redesign again, mainly to lower the cost of the final product.  We will take the name under advisement; but we are trying to keep a trend of Canadian wild life going. 

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,
Do yo have any update as to when the BOT1 will be available?
I'm looking forward to add it to my DBP-2

R. Daneel

« Reply #136 on: 12 Aug 2013, 04:24 pm »
Hello!

I am relatively new to high end and especially Bryston but I must say I am utterly surprised by the quality and service that Bryston provides.

One question that no one asked about the BOT-1 is the sound. I would be interested to hear how the sound reproduced through the BOT-1 -> BDA-2 -> BDA-2 (or BDA-1) compares to the sound when the BCD-1 used as a transport instead of the BOT-1 and BDP-2 combination.

Because 1500$ which will more likely resemble 1500 Euro in Europe is enough for a Cyrus CDXT dedicated CD transport.

One other thing, since the BOT-1 is based on a computer Blu-Ray drive, will it be capable of playing HRx discs (24bit 192kHz WAV files burned to a DVD-R, often used by some music labels)?

If I understood everyting correctly, then the BOT-1 should be something of a memory player that reads an entire disc and stores it into the memory of the BDP-2 player. The BDA-2 can then use this memory as necessary and playback directily from it with no noise and no mistiming errors. Am I correct?

I must also say that I was pretty disappointed when BCD-1 was discontinued. Of course, at that time I was not prepared to invest in anything better than what I already had and by the time I was, it was gone and it made me sad. I heard it one occasion and I was really taken aback so I am very happy that Bryston decided to go all out with a new optical player and a transports at that!

Thanks chaps and all the best from Croatia!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #137 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:49 pm »
Hi fellas!

Are there any news with respect to BOT-1?

I read this entire thread and the last word from Chris was that now it was time to find someone to finish the hardware.

The reason I am asking is because I would like to purchase the BDP player. Now, I really don't need the more advanced features and connectivity of the BDP-2 so I would prefer the BDP-1 for it's simplicity. However, if the BOT-1 is something realistic and something we might see in a store soon, then I would purchase the BDP-2 instead because I really do need an optical transport. I don't like ripping music as I like physical media and at least it has proven itself as a realiable storage media.

So, any input would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #138 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:01 pm »
Hi fellas!

Are there any news with respect to BOT-1?

I read this entire thread and the last word from Chris was that now it was time to find someone to finish the hardware.

The reason I am asking is because I would like to purchase the BDP player. Now, I really don't need the more advanced features and connectivity of the BDP-2 so I would prefer the BDP-1 for it's simplicity. However, if the BOT-1 is something realistic and something we might see in a store soon, then I would purchase the BDP-2 instead because I really do need an optical transport. I don't like ripping music as I like physical media and at least it has proven itself as a realiable storage media.

So, any input would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I hope to show the finished version at the Toronto Audio Show in November.

James

FireGuy

« Reply #139 on: 24 Aug 2013, 03:08 pm »
Morning James.  I just may attend a day or two at this show in November.  Will you be teaming up again with Ian and the Axiom group as you did in Montreal?  Toronto is such a great place.  Love to hear your array Vs. Axiom's new M100 and LFR 1100's.