BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #100 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:46 pm »
Hi Chris, I see you have learnt from James to take your work home, it must be a tough life  :lol:

A couple of questions, I take it from the BOT display showing adele that it is playing the CD, but it looks like a BDP1 underneath, I thought the BDP1 could only play from memory? Also the display looks very blue compared with the BDP, which on the blue LED option is still quite aqua, I know it is aesthetics, but do you think the displays on the BOT will match the BDP/SP3?

Cheers

That's not actually a BDP-1, it's the first BDP-2 prototype using a dress panel that was destined for some ones BDP-1 17" black with green filter.  It's also housed in the only surviving aluminum chassis.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:53 pm »
Hi Chris,

great read!
I see your experimenting with Plex, which is a wonderful piece of software. Ive tried a lot of those fileservers, Plex ended up as the most intuitive and succesful one. As a matter of fact, Ive got the Plex server on my Nas indexing my music library as we speak. I guess we don't need a Plex server to run on the BDP's, but do need the MAx-client to be able to read those separately running servers.
is the dlna setting on the BDp1 ready for that? It won't find my Plexserver automatically yet.

Thanks,
Marius

DLNA is something we are still playing with, we still prefer using USB drives or samba over this service.  However we would still like to make the option available at some point in time for those that want it.  I am looking into plex for a few reasons, the BDP-2 has the power to handle he transcoding, the BDP-2 has the option for internal storage and finally the BOT-1 allows the BDP's to expand greatly on there storage while maintaining a Bryston look.  The BDP-2 we are advertising as a player/server and adding plex would allow us to check off many items in our todo list.

Back to the show

Cheers
Chris

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #102 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:12 pm »
Hi Chris,

Ever since you started developing the bdp1 James repeatedly stated Bryston stripped as much 'computer' as possible, to reduce related issues and optimize
Performance.
Because of that, we, I, started investing in external storage systems, using most if the universal connection techniques available, using it with all our other media
machines in and out the house, and hooking the Bdp into that system. That way we can have both worlds in 1 house-wide-system.

Apparently you've chosen a new philosophy towards the Bdp2. We can't blame Bryston for listening to the demands of their customers .... But please don't start making the Bdp being a computer again? Make it read central storage? Please do! Make it be the centre of our network storage? I think I'd say please don't... For all your original reasons not to.

Enjoy the Show ( o and throw in some pictures!)
Cheers Marius

DLNA is something we are still playing with, we still prefer using USB drives or samba over this service.  However we would still like to make the option available at some point in time for those that want it.  I am looking into plex for a few reasons, the BDP-2 has the power to handle he transcoding, the BDP-2 has the option for internal storage and finally the BOT-1 allows the BDP's to expand greatly on there storage while maintaining a Bryston look.  The BDP-2 we are advertising as a player/server and adding plex would allow us to check off many items in our todo list.

Back to the show

Cheers
Chris

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #103 on: 23 Mar 2013, 05:30 pm »
Hi Chris,

Ever since you started developing the bdp1 James repeatedly stated Bryston stripped as much 'computer' as possible, to reduce related issues and optimize
Performance.
Because of that, we, I, started investing in external storage systems, using most if the universal connection techniques available, using it with all our other media
machines in and out the house, and hooking the Bdp into that system. That way we can have both worlds in 1 house-wide-system.

Apparently you've chosen a new philosophy towards the Bdp2. We can't blame Bryston for listening to the demands of their customers .... But please don't start making the Bdp being a computer again? Make it read central storage? Please do! Make it be the centre of our network storage? I think I'd say please don't... For all your original reasons not to.

Enjoy the Show ( o and throw in some pictures!)
Cheers Marius

Hi Marius,

I have been taking some pictures, I'll try to remember them when I get back to my room.  The BDP's will be first and foremost a player, anything a speak about will be an option that needs to be turned on and disabled by default.  Much like the existing beta implementations of the DLNA server option on the BDP-2.

Cheers,
Chris

JBLMVBC

« Reply #104 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:23 pm »
So in all these wonderful plans, what are the options for owners of BDP & BDA 1:|

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #105 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:57 pm »
So in all these wonderful plans, what are the options for owners of BDP & BDA 1:|

Any new features that will perform in a manner that is acceptable will be made available to the BDP-1.

Cheers,
Chris

JBLMVBC

« Reply #106 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:57 am »
Thank you Chris. Early supporters feel they are the ones missing on this...

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #107 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:57 pm »
what is the transport? Is it the unit that's saved for the CD-1,s future repairs. Hope not :nono:

srb

« Reply #108 on: 26 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm »
what type of cd drive is it and who is the manufacturer?

Its a DVD bluray drive and custom

So it's obviously not the CD-only drive from the BCD-1.

Steve

redbook

« Reply #109 on: 26 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm »
 James tell me it isn't.  :lol:

spinner

« Reply #110 on: 26 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm »
  Thanks , that's comforting .  :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #111 on: 27 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
I'm looking forward to the moment when $ony updates again the bluray "standard" and you need a firmware "update" or else.

Lesson learned: anything that's using some kind of DRM "technology" should be treated as disposable and bought only at disposable prices.

Say James, what's the price? $99 regular and $69 when on sale?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #112 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:04 am »
what is the transport? Is it the unit that's saved for the CD-1,s future repairs. Hope not :nono:

It's a DVD drive we have sourced.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:07 am »
Have the BOT at home this week after the Montreal showing and still have some work to do on the integration with the BDP2 but so far I am happy with the sound quality.

James

redbook

« Reply #114 on: 27 Mar 2013, 02:54 am »
  Thanks James.... :D

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #115 on: 9 Apr 2013, 05:35 am »
Halloo, James, Chris, and Bryston fans:

I'm quite excited about the BOT and have some questions:

1. I have a 500gb Samsung SSD to install in my BDP-2; will the BOT be able to rip to this drive in the BDP-2?

2. You mentioned that the BOT will accommodate two internal drives; will it have cabling ready to go like the BDP-2 (two SSDs! Yummy!).

3. In which format(s) will the BOT rip CDs? AIFF, for one, please?

4. Will the BR-2 remote provide full functions, including track skip and track search (at least on the disc if not the stored file)?

Thanks for pursuing this project.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #116 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:11 pm »
Halloo, James, Chris, and Bryston fans:

I'm quite excited about the BOT and have some questions:

1. I have a 500gb Samsung SSD to install in my BDP-2; will the BOT be able to rip to this drive in the BDP-2?

2. You mentioned that the BOT will accommodate two internal drives; will it have cabling ready to go like the BDP-2 (two SSDs! Yummy!).

3. In which format(s) will the BOT rip CDs? AIFF, for one, please?

4. Will the BR-2 remote provide full functions, including track skip and track search (at least on the disc if not the stored file)?

Thanks for pursuing this project.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Hi Rich,

We are still accessing the feasability of this product so it may be a while before I can be specfic about the features.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #117 on: 9 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm »
Got it. Thanks, James:

One more consideration, as you develop the BOT-1: Will it handle gapless playback? In other words, will storing a CD with no gaps between tracks (e.g., Sgt. Pepper's and numerous classical CDs, such as final movements in Beethoven symphonies 9 and 5) into the BOT's or BDP's memory result in a gap between tracks?

Again, I appreciate your thought and care in developing this product and sincerely hope it will see daylight. I have the last remaining space in my cabinet reserved for it.

Cheerio,

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #118 on: 11 Apr 2013, 03:32 am »
Got it. Thanks, James:

One more consideration, as you develop the BOT-1: Will it handle gapless playback? In other words, will storing a CD with no gaps between tracks (e.g., Sgt. Pepper's and numerous classical CDs, such as final movements in Beethoven symphonies 9 and 5) into the BOT's or BDP's memory result in a gap between tracks?

Again, I appreciate your thought and care in developing this product and sincerely hope it will see daylight. I have the last remaining space in my cabinet reserved for it.

Cheerio,

We havn't noticed any gaps during playback unless you use the next or previous track buttons, causing the the to restart buffering.

Cheers,
Chris

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #119 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:51 am »
Thanks, Chris. This is very good news.

Cheerio,

Rich