Turntable questions

jackman

Turntable questions
« on: 9 Feb 2003, 10:21 pm »
I have been researching different TT's with the intention to purchase one in the near future.  Can I please get some feedback on the following brands:

1.  VPI:  I like the looks of the Jr. model and the Scout model for about $1,500.  Is anyone familiar with these?

2.  Rega: the P3 can be had for a pretty good price on-line.  Is anyone familiar with this or the P25?  The look pretty solid but I understand there are some issues with the motors running slightly fast.  Don't remember where I read that, but wanted to confirm.

3.  Music Hall: these seem to be pretty plentiful and inexpensive.  Any details?

4.  Linn:  Cool looking and highly regarded in my time.  What are the dangers in buying a used one?

5.  SOTA:  they are not far from my house and used to be a big name in TT's.  Their all-wood models (Sapphire) seem to be pretty cool and they are in my range.  Also, older owners speak highly of their SOTA's.  Anyone with experience?

6.  Teres:  very cool but out of my price range and I'm not in the mood for a DIY at this time.  Too many DIY projects stacking up.

7.  Any other brands that I missed?  I'm familiar with Sumiko, Basic, Thorens, etc.  What else should I consider?

Also, if anyone can provide feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of the above or any other sub-$1,500 TT.  I'd prefer to keep it under a grand.

Jack

blizzard

Turntable questions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2003, 11:05 pm »
Hi J.M.,
  Here is a great site on Thorens:
      http://www.theanalogdept.com/

It's a very informative site.  Maybe you can get pick up some insight here.
             Bliz

JoshK

Turntable questions
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2003, 11:59 pm »
Jackman,

You are venturing into a land where few of us know the best value or have heard all or even many of these.

taketwo

Turntable questions
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2003, 02:26 am »
How about the new Nottingham Analogue Horizon? Comes with the Rega RB250 arm. Just add cartridge. $1000. Right on budget.

nathanm

Turntable questions
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2003, 02:46 am »
Well I'm no expert on turntables, but I am in love with my Michell Gyro SE.  No, I haven't compared it to anything else, but the thing is so beautifully machined and constructed I can't imagine it sounding bad.  I bought it used though, the only way I'd be able to afford one.  Truly a work of art.  I was in awe of the full-assedness when I pulled this baby out of the box.  Am I still paying it off?  Yes...   :oops:

My second choice would've been the Basis 1400.

Psychicanimal

Re: Turntable questions
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:18 pm »
Quote from: jackman

Also, if anyone can provide feedback on the strengths and weaknesses of the above or any other sub-$1,500 TT.  I'd prefer to keep it under a grand.

Jack

Jack,

In your price range the undisputed king is the modded Technics SL-1200MKII.  Read my posts here, in HD and in Audiogon.  Also visit www.kabusa.com and take a look at the fluid tonearm damper and the modded Groovemaster II.  Also, Kabusa is releasing this spring an outboard power supply for the 1200.  All in all, unbeatable (if buying new).

Michael Fremer's recent article on entry level belt drives will give you a good insight on why those don't make the cut... :mrgreen:

JoshK

Turntable questions
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:22 pm »
Jackman,

Just an FYI but the Teres 150 table is $1450 in kit form.  The kit from what I understand is really a misnomer since the only thing left for you to do is wetsand the platter (for looks only) and put it together, which shouldn't be hard at all.  Something to consider, as many people think lots of work when they think kit, but this isn't a true kit.

Brad

Turntable questions
« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2003, 05:12 pm »
Don't you also have to add a tonearm and cart to the Teres price?  That would put it comfortably above $2k - abeit at a higher performance level than some of the others mentioned.

Toys from the Attic is still running their special on the Aries scout - $1500 including Dynavector cart, table, and arm.

That Technics sounds really interesting.

Beezer

my $.02
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2003, 08:06 pm »
Almost all the different manufacturers have their legions of fans.  Rega are nice, simple tables that get the basics right and are pretty much plug and play.  They do tend to run fast by something like 1%.  The 1 kHz tone is now 1.01 kHz.  My not-so-golden ears didn't notice any tonal differences between it and my new Nottingham Interspace.  The Interspace does offer superior detail, transparency and soundstage depth.  I also listened to the Clearaudio Champion (~1K w/ arm) and wasn't impressed.  It actually reminded me a bit of digital in that the soundstage was pretty 2 dimensional and very forward.  

Based on my very limited experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend an used Rega Planar 3 ($300-$350) as a great place to jump into vinyl.  Spend another $200-300 on a cartridge and you have a pretty solid rig.  It does the basics well and has a great arm that can be used on most other tables if you decide to upgrade in the future.

You really should go listen to the tables though.  You're in Chicago, right?  There must be plenty of dealers with multiple turntable lines for comparison shopping.

Have fun,
Beez

hifitommy

Turntable answers
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2003, 09:13 pm »
although i have a vpi, i would prefer the sota sapphire (not a star) with a sumiko MMT tonearm.  the sota is NOT fiddly and has a great bearing and its bass reproduction is to the center of the earth.  

that flies in the face of the digital advocates that say digital bass and dynamics are superior to vinyl.  

the mmt arm has a detachable universal headshell that allows rapid cartridge swapping of changing sound and capabilities quickly, and facilitates easy inspection and cleaning of the stylus, plus easy cartridge mounting and adjustment.  

i would try to get a refurbed unit form sota if they are available and the bearing wont arrive cracked.  mmt arms show up on the used market periodically for reasonable prices.  

a recommended cartridge would be the ortofon kontrapunkt b, a wonderful sounding device with the latest technology from ortofon.  2juki on audiogon has great pricing for these.  just open some of the ads for ortofons.

michael w

Turntable questions
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2003, 11:14 pm »
Jackman;

A used Well Tempered Classic with all the latest bits and pieces is well within your budget.

Easy to setup, easy to use, extremely versatile, superb sound, very good isolation, great value for money.

IMHO a much better proposition than the other tables mentioned.

A friend has recently acquired one and is deliriously happy with it.

The only real problem is that they do not show up used as often as the other tables.

cheerio

Brett

• http://www.wickedweasel.com
Turntable questions
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2003, 04:19 pm »
Ditto Michael W about the WTT unless you can find a Gyro for similar money, in which case I'd be torn between them. Another good, though rarer option is the Townshend Rock.

Re: the earlier comment about the Technics 1200. For under a grand you could get an SP10 and an obsidian base that hasn't been used in a studio. Makes the 1200 sound like a toy.

Psychicanimal

Turntable questions
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2003, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: Brett
Re: the earlier comment about the Technics 1200. For under a grand you could get an SP10 and an obsidian base that hasn't been used in a studio. Makes the 1200 sound like a toy.

I would love an SP-10 but their power suply is *reactive* and Technics stopped making the chipsets.  Once it's gone you'd need to find a surplus power supply.  I've opted for the modded 1200 and now there is an optional power supply available from http://www.kabusa.com

Brett

• http://www.wickedweasel.com
Turntable questions
« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2003, 05:15 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
Quote from: Brett

I would love an SP-10 but their power suply is *reactive* and Technics stopped making the chipsets.  Once it's gone you'd need to find a surplus power supply.  I've opted for the modded 1200 and now there is an optional power supply available from http://www.kabusa.com

There's nothing in the onboard motor controller that can't be easily sourced or substituted, and the seperate PS is basically a transformer and some simple series regs. The MC is complicated, but that's only because of the dearth of applicable LSI chips available at the time of manufacture. However, this actually makes it easier to keep one running.

I have the service manual and have actually fixed a couple. It's the motor and the die cast chassis that makes the SP10 so good. Add a decent plinth, arm and cart and it's a giant slayer.
I'm glad you enjoy your 1200.