New Madeleine Peyroux

vhiner

New Madeleine Peyroux
« on: 11 Mar 2013, 05:45 am »
Has anyone compared HdTracks' 44/24 version of "Blue Room" to the Redbook release?

I'm wondering whether it's worth paying 6 bucks more than I can get the cd for on Amazon. According to Peyroux's website, if you use the discount code blueroom15 you can get 15 percent off of the HdTracks download. Tempting but still pricey.

dspringham

Re: New Madeleine Peyroux
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 06:49 pm »
Not sure where you got your information about the HD Tracks promo code but it doesn't work and I don't see any reference to a promo code on her website.

Do you have as specific link to this information?

vhiner

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:07 pm »
Sorry about that. It's posted on her Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/MadeleinePeyroux.

chip

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm »
Good to know as I was looking at getting this album. Question for anyone that has used hdtracks before....can it only be downloaded once after you order? Say 6 months down the road hard drive goes bad and you lose music data can you redownload again? Just debating if I should just buy the CD and convert to flac or get it from here.

vhiner

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2013, 06:53 pm »
Good to know as I was looking at getting this album. Question for anyone that has used hdtracks before....can it only be downloaded once after you order? Say 6 months down the road hard drive goes bad and you lose music data can you redownload again? Just debating if I should just buy the CD and convert to flac or get it from here.

I've heard the Redbook and it's excellent....and half as expensive. Based upon my track experience with HdTracks recording quality, I'd be very hesitant to pay $17 before I heard whether the 44/24 offers any better sound than a CD. The resolution numbers are pretty meaningless by themselves.

rhandmj

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:49 am »

HD Tracks is once only. So back it up. I keep (at least) two backups on external hard drives. A 3TB drive is under $150 now, no reason not to back up at least once.

Going from 16 bits to 24 bits is a huge step up in resolution. While higher sampling rate is ideal, 24 bit resolution has in my experience so much over redbook it is worth the price alone.

vhiner

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2013, 04:24 am »
HD Tracks is once only. So back it up. I keep (at least) two backups on external hard drives. A 3TB drive is under $150 now, no reason not to back up at least once.

Going from 16 bits to 24 bits is a huge step up in resolution. While higher sampling rate is ideal, 24 bit resolution has in my experience so much over redbook it is worth the price alone.

I agree in theory, but practice has shown me that any number of 24 bit downloads on HDTracks are, in some cases, not as good as Redbook. In recent issues of TAS, several respected reviewers agree and have discouraged certain downloads.

It's ALL in the mastering and transfer process. I'd rather listen to well-mastered Redbook than poorly mastered 192/24 any day of the week. Some hi-Rez is great....but far too much of what is being sold simply isn't. HdTracks ought to have a quality standard, but they've chosen be a mere vendor. Caveat emptor. Those involved in hi-res sales better address this more assertively or hi-res will go the way of the SACD.

Again, I wish someone with money to burn would compare and post here.