Accessing iTunes via iPad Question - non-iTunes store files

jult52

In my Apple laptop, I have iTunes files that are purchased and also 16/44 downloads from a CD but stored within iTunes.  I am having great success using AirPlay to stream the iTunes purchased mp3s to my AppeTV and putting through my family room rig, both from the laptop and the iPad. 

But I am not succeeding in accessing the 16/44 downloaded files from the iPad to stream through AppleTV.  Is there a way to stream those downloaded files using the iPad?  (I am open to either copying them to the iPad memory or simply controlling the laptop from the iPad.  Whatever works.)  Thanks.

WC

Re: Accessing iTunes via iPad Question - non-iTunes store files
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm »
Is the music on the iPad or on the computer? You can use the Remote app on the iPad to control the AppleTV or iTunes on the computer. It requires the computer to be on and iTunes to be running.

jult52

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm »
Thanks.  The music is on the computer.  I do have the Remote app working on the iPad.  It is great but I can't seem to use it to access files on the computer.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm »
What do you you want to do with the files? You said the remote app is working. You should be able to see the files if they are in iTunes and of a format that iTunes recognizes. Once you can see them in the remote app, you should be able to airplay them.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:24 am »
If you have music files on the ipad itself, you can airplay them directly using the ipad's music app.  If you have these music files only on the ipad and want to use the remote app, then you will have to first download them into your itunes library on your computer.  Make sure in itunes under the "music" submenu for your ipad device that you have "sync music" enabled - I think it's turned off by default.  You can choose to sync the entire library or select specific playlists, artists, albums, etc.  I personally have created a playlist just for my iphone as I have a big library and not everything will fit on the iphone.

Presumably this is your problem.  If the files you mention ARE in your itunes library & still not playing, then there are other issues involved.

jult52

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2013, 12:59 am »
I just solved my problem with Remote.  For others' benefit, open the Remote App and on the top right, click on the wheel-like icon and add an Itunes library.   It will provide a four-digit number which can be used in the iTunes application in the laptop to connect the two devices (again look in the top right hand corner, in my case labelled Library). Works wonderfully.  Hope this helps.