Audioquest HDMI cable : 87% off @ Music Direct

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Audioquest HDMI cable : 87% off @ Music Direct
« on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:01 pm »
Sorry - when I saw this I didn't know whether to laugh or be pissed :

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15473-audioquest-hdmi-3-cable.aspx

I suppose if you need a 6M HDMI cable, you can do worse for $100.  But at an MSRP of $775 it just reminds me what a jip high end audio / video can be!

MD should have just given it or thrown it away vs putting it up for sale @ 87% off to try to preserve some semblance of legitimacy to AQ and high end pricing in general.

srb

Re: Audioquest HDMI cable : 87% off @ Music Direct
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:23 pm »
I suppose if you need a 6M HDMI cable, you can do worse for $100.  But at an MSRP of $775 it just reminds me what a jip high end audio / video can be!

MD should have just given it or thrown it away vs putting it up for sale @ 87% off to try to preserve some semblance of legitimacy to AQ and high end pricing in general.

There is no legitimacy to a $775 HDMI cable, period.

BTW, your use of "jip" is actually "gyp", and although the word has been in use for many years, because it is short for Gypsy it is offensive to those of Gypsy heritage, just as much as using the word "jew", when referring to being beaten down in a price negotiation, is to Jewish people.

Steve

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:52 pm »
There is no legitimacy to a $775 HDMI cable, period.

BTW, your use of "jip" is actually "gyp", and although the word has been in use for many years, because it is short for Gypsy it is offensive to those of Gypsy heritage, just as much as using the word "jew", when referring to being beaten down in a price negotiation, is to Jewish people.

Steve

I guess this was a lame attempt to amuse re: a deal couched in what is otherwise an incredible rip off.  I've been conditioned to find even 40-50% off cables to be acceptable practice, but when I start to see 75%+ off, it just really seems ridiculous.

I was unaware of the roots of the term "jip / gyp" - thanks for the clarification.  The urban dictionary online has additional less agreed meanings which are even farther beyond what I was aware.  Whoops.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2013, 08:53 pm »
Such a deal...