thermometer

bart11073

thermometer
« on: 9 Feb 2003, 06:53 pm »
I was planning on a thermometer on the front panel of my AKSA with the thermistor somewhere on the heatsink, but does someone know if it will affect the sound?

Bye,
Bart

AKSA

thermometer
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2003, 08:37 pm »
Bart,

No effect on sound at all!

I would be interested in the readings.  I'd suggest mounting the temperature sensor right atop one of the output devices.  This tells it like it is and should make interesting analysis......

Cheers,

Hugh

bart11073

thermometer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2003, 04:13 pm »
Do you know how hot the transitor is when it's on temperature? It could be helpful when buying the NTC and the voltmeter

Thanks.

AKSA

thermometer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2003, 08:30 pm »
Bart,

Case temperature on the large output devices never goes beyond 65C.

Cheers,

Hugh

Possum

thermometer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2003, 05:28 am »
Is it abnormal for an AKSA 100 to get very warm to somewhat hot when mounted completely in an aluminum chassis?

I just put my kit into the chassis I received yesterday (looks great, I'll post pictures after I get the right LED's installed) and the temperature after leaving it on 11 hours so far for break-in is fairly hot.  I can still touch the chassis area under the heatsinks without getting burned.

When the finished amp was outside of the chassis, the heatsinks never got more than slightly warm, but I'd only had them on for 1 hour at a time.

Sound/music seems normal out of the amp at the hot temperature.

Is this something to be concerned with?

Thanks,
Greg

AKSA

thermometer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2003, 06:17 am »
Greg,

You should raise the heatsink at least half an inch above the floor of the Al enclosure, and there should be ventilation holes both below and above the heatsink fins so that convection currents can carry the heat away from the case rather than confining it within, slowly raising amp temperature.

Cheers,

Hugh

Possum

thermometer
« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2003, 08:17 am »
there should be ventilation holes both below and above the heatsink fins so that convection currents can carry the heat away from the case rather than confining it within, slowly raising amp temperature

That seemed to be it.  Though I had the chassis custom made with a row of ventilation holes just as you described, I had the amp placed on a cushioned chair, blocking the bottom ventilation holes.  Now that the amp is on a table top, it barely gets warm, just like before.

BTW, it's sounding great!   :D

Thanks Hugh,

Greg