Comet Supply

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Comet Supply
« Reply #20 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:48 pm »
Take a look before you buy : http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CometSupply
Wow.  Reading the customer evaluations is stunningly bad.  I don't thinks this is how I want to try to save fifty bucks on a cartridge.

a.wayne

« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2013, 06:47 pm »
Read the reviews, scary ...!!!!

Analysis, if buying Denon cartridges, OK, err, well  somewhat, anything else you are Phockerue ........... :)

Jeff V.

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2013, 11:35 pm »
Wow.  Reading the customer evaluations is stunningly bad.  I don't thinks this is how I want to try to save fifty bucks on a cartridge.

I understand your point of view.  In my case I'm saving over $350.  Also, I have read many comments from happy customers on the Asylum.  The cartridge will arrive tomorrow.  I'll post a follow up once it gets here.

Jeff

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 21 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm »
I understand your point of view.  In my case I'm saving over $350.  Also, I have read many comments from happy customers on the Asylum.  The cartridge will arrive tomorrow.  I'll post a follow up once it gets here.

Jeff
\
$350 in savings.... I understand taking the risk.  I was looking at a Denon 102 (mono) there.  I can't retip mine for what a new one would cost at Comet.  I'll look forward to your report.

tomytoons

« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2013, 12:08 am »
The cheapest I could find on the DL301 II was $279. Most everyone else was $329, even Juki was higher than $279.
I paid $215 shipped.
That's $114 savings on the higher price. I'll take it.
I ordered a DL103R from Comet a few years ago also had no problem.

Psssst,
LP Gear has the AT OC9 MK II for a very good price,$294.
I have one of those coming too.

coverto

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2013, 12:44 am »
I've bought a 110 and a 102 there in the past and got quick service with no problems. Just bought a 103R there two weeks ago and it arrived within a week and a half - the longest I've waited with them - and it's great. If they list the cartridge as in stock, which is what I've always made sure of, I'd say go for it.

a.wayne

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2013, 02:05 am »
The cheapest I could find on the DL301 II was $279. Most everyone else was $329, even Juki was higher than $279.
I paid $215 shipped.
That's $114 savings on the higher price. I'll take it.
I ordered a DL103R from Comet a few years ago also had no problem.

Psssst,
LP Gear has the AT OC9 MK II for a very good price,$294.
I have one of those coming too.

Hey ,

If you ever run out of room let me know , i could hold a few of them for you ...  :)

a.wayne

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2013, 02:07 am »
I've bought a 110 and a 102 there in the past and got quick service with no problems. Just bought a 103R there two weeks ago and it arrived within a week and a half - the longest I've waited with them - and it's great. If they list the cartridge as in stock, which is what I've always made sure of, I'd say go for it.

Well I'm on a 3-4 week wait with them and i had to call to find that out  :nono: I may take the chance on a DL301 or pull the order and try the OC9 ...

Wait a min ...!!! 

LP Gear has no contact number, another no , no ..   

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2013, 01:50 pm »
Well I'm on a 3-4 week wait with them and i had to call to find that out  :nono: I may take the chance on a DL301 or pull the order and try the OC9 ...

Wait a min ...!!! 

LP Gear has no contact number, another no , no ..

You don't have to worry about LpGear.  They may be bad with email response and don't want phone calls, but once an order is placed you'll get an immediate conformation and a tracking number within a day (usually - weekends excepted).  I must have bought a dozen items from them and it's always arrived -no problem. My advise would be to focus on what you think you really want, instead of a great deal. BTW, they're an  authorized AT dealer.

Comet might be problematic for regular stuff, but I think they found a nice flow with their grey Denons. Hundreds of posts on various forums seem to confirm, you'll either get your item or a refund if they're out of stock. For a long while they couldn't get stock and a lot of people were nervous, but it seems like everyone eventually got their item or refund.  That said, anytime you order from an unauthorized dealer, you're at their mercy. It's not like they can lose their franchise if.....
neo 

tomytoons

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2013, 02:10 pm »
From LP Gear, ordered the OC9 MKII on 3-20 confirmed shipped on 3-21.
I wouldn't worry about LP Gear, they have been around a while and is a reputable Audio Dealer.
Where Comet sells EVERYTHING, including the kitchen sink.

At Comet you have to keep looking at the inventory "in stock" then order.
The DLS1 and the DL304 is in stock now.

Jeff V.

« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2013, 02:36 am »
The Denon arrived today.  Took about a week to get it.  I hope to install it tomorrow.  To be continued....

a.wayne

« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2013, 06:30 am »
Sweeeeet and good luck .....!

trackball02

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2013, 03:30 pm »
I purchased the OC9 MKII from LP Gear last month. Really nice price, fast hassle free transaction and delivery.
I would order from them again.

a.wayne

« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2013, 06:00 pm »
Good cartridge at a good price ......

Jeff V.

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2013, 09:17 pm »
I have to say my experience with Comet was very good.  Great price, excellent product & fast shipping.

Woke up early this morning, had a cup of Joe, & got to work.  Install went smooth & the DL-S1 was ready for some tunes.  Sounds very good out of the box.  With some fine tuning & burn in I'm sure I will be more than happy with it's sound.

Jeff

a.wayne

« Reply #35 on: 24 Mar 2013, 07:37 pm »
Jeff,

Its been hrs , Report .....:)

glrickaby

« Reply #36 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:52 pm »
The Denon 110 is usually out of stock so best to get your name on the list and order it. Mine took 5+ weeks but I knew before
ordering it could be up to 6 weeks. I called them a couple of times to check on the shipment and they seemed very forthright
on when the shipment would be in. Took an extra 5 days but I assume they had quite an accumulation of orders to ship. Most
of us have other cartridges to play so the time is not life or death except for the anticipation and excitement of a new unit...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #37 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:07 am »
They're grey market - not from the authorized US distributor. 

That means you have no warranty, but I've read that Comet will replace a defective cart.  It happens, and in one case somebody got a very old sample that looked like it was previously returned.  If Comet stands behind the sale, you wouldn't have much to worry about.  Usually a cart either works or not.  If it's a model worth re-tipping or repairing, you don't need the mfg for that.  Trade in might be a problem.
neo

How do they get these carts from Denon to begin with if they're unauthorized?  And if they're being sold at dealer cost they must be getting them even cheaper than distributors from Denon in order to make a profit.  Are they B stock?  Stolen?  What gives?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #38 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:05 am »
How do they get these carts from Denon to begin with if they're unauthorized?  And if they're being sold at dealer cost they must be getting them even cheaper than distributors from Denon in order to make a profit.  Are they B stock?  Stolen?  What gives?

Well, probably not much cheaper than distributors, but distributor have overhead/profit and their selling price to dealers is normally 50 to 60% of retail, so there's some room there.  A company like Comet would usually get them from a dealer in Japan or wherever where dealer cost is lower.  Comet probably pays cash and the Oriental dealer blows them out for a quick profit, then Comet does the same.  I don't think they're B stock.  All reports indicate they're the real deal.   It's also unlikely they're stolen.  They would have been tracked down.  Too many carts for that.

For awhile there Comet couldn't get stock and people waited for months or got a refund.  The supply is still somewhat erratic, but so far Comet is giving much better service on these items than would be indicated on those reviews posted above.  I guess they found a nice line and want to keep it going.
neo

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #39 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:11 am »
Well, probably not much cheaper than distributors, but distributor have overhead/profit and their selling price to dealers is normally 50 to 60% of retail, so there's some room there.  A company like Comet would usually get them from a dealer in Japan or wherever where dealer cost is lower.  Comet probably pays cash and the Oriental dealer blows them out for a quick profit, then Comet does the same.  I don't think they're B stock.  All reports indicate they're the real deal.   It's also unlikely they're stolen.  They would have been tracked down.  Too many carts for that.

For awhile there Comet couldn't get stock and people waited for months or got a refund.  The supply is still somewhat erratic, but so far Comet is giving much better service on these items than would be indicated on those reviews posted above.  I guess they found a nice line and want to keep it going.
neo

I ordered a Denon DL-301 MKII from Comet and it took 8 weeks to arrive, but in all fairness I was told it would take awhile.
That was about 2 years ago

P-man