Mini review of The Pharos

jimdgoulding

Mini review of The Pharos
« on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:37 am »
So, my friend puts me in his listening chair and I admire his components which include an Audio Research pre and seperate phono stage with a Linn Sondek front end with a Benz Glider cart and the music starts.  My album, a choral album with the occasional organ on Swedish label Proprius and I'm falling in love.  The realistic scale of the playback was flooring me as was the lovely, pristine sound.  So, then I ask him, where is your amplifier and he pointed to a tiny box that I had completely overlooked, a Red Rose Music II Silver Signature putting out a whopping seven watts per channel.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing from his tall 3-way Salk speakers.  Well, they are a 95db @ 1 watt efficient speaker he tells me.  The sound coming from them was so postively lovely its still with me.  Way to go Salk meisters!  What a lovely sound with what seemed like perfect scale I was hearing.  Thank you.  That was my second introduction to a speaker by you and I loved the experience.  I'm planning to re-visit my friend again soon.  Real soon.  I've already picked the records.

Nuance

Re: Mini review of The Pharos
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2013, 02:25 pm »
Thanks for posting this, jimdgoulding.  I've never heard the Pharo's, but at 95dB sensitivity I'd sure like to.  I hope Jim creates another high efficiency design that is capable of achieving that "perfect scale" that you heard but is a little easier on the WAF. :)

fsimms

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm »
I heard those here in Houston when he first got them.  I wasn’t able to get a good scope on them as he had them in such a tiny room with live walls.  Not much bigger than a walk in closet.  I gather that you must have heard them in a bigger room.  I was mesmerized by the midrange driver in the Archos which is the same as in the Pharos so I can imagine how great they could sound.  I am still haunted by the sound of the piano on a Dave Brubeck CD with the Archos.

Nuance, I was worried about the look of the Pharos from the pictures, but when I saw them in the “closet” I was shocked at how small they seemed.  I think they would have a very good WAF.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2013, 07:05 pm »
Hi, Bob.  We haven't met I don't think.  I expect I'll attend a HAS meeting when the feature is something of interest to me.  Maybe I'll see you there. 

Same room, I just had to adjust my hearing for the room effects.  Plus, they were my albums, and familiar albums, so I could manage that.  I know very well that the speakers would sound more like they are supposed to sound in a better environment.  In my room, for example, and probably yours.  Still, there were things that impressed the heck outta me.
« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2013, 08:26 pm by jimdgoulding »