How far apart can ss8's go.

yetis

How far apart can ss8's go.
« on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:39 am »
So I am contemplating putting in a projector. As I now know, there are acoustic and non acoustic transparent screens. The former you can put behind the screen and the later in front or on the sides. Initially I thought only behind would work. However, putting them on the side is easier and cheaper, with more screen choices. So,  I wanted to get a sense of how far is too far before you start having sound quality issues.

Thank you

chargedmr2

Re: How far apart can ss8's go.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:15 am »
I'll let the more experienced chime in here, but how far back is your listening position?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2013, 03:46 am »
What are the room dimensions and, given the WAF, what are the tolerances?

yetis

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2013, 09:29 am »
21' long X 13' wide. This is a NY apartment. Adding a room would be a major financial commitment! Speakers would go at end of long side. No wife issues, just about delivery. Getting rid of TV panel would be a positive!

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2013, 10:00 am »
My room is similar 13x19. I found the SS8 sound best at 9' apart (tweeter to tweeter). 5' from the front wall to the face of the speaker. 2' from tweeter to the side wall. LP in center and 9' away from the speaker and 5' from ears to the back wall.  :thumb:

yetis

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2013, 02:49 pm »
Nice, so that is a 8 foot screen!  That should be big enough!  Now comes the biggest challenge, the center channel. 

Think I might need to lean on Jim for some custom speaker/furniture work.  Something that has a center channel positioned in a way that if fires up slightly, but the whole unit optically looks like a table!  Thinking a massive slab of granite or marble on the top.   Not sure something like this is possible.

yetis

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2013, 06:19 pm »
Jim,

Have you ever made a center channel that would have similar positioning (maybe a couple inches lower) to this center, but integrated it into a more furniture looking piece?  This will be in my living room serving double duty, so this would need to serve as a side table, or something similar!! I know, sacrilege.  That is why I am thinking, heavy piece of granite at a top and to cut down on vibration and any damage from a glass or something else that will find itself placed on top, when its not acting as a center channel! 

srb

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2013, 06:35 pm »
That is why I am thinking, heavy piece of granite at a top and to cut down on vibration and any damage from a glass or something else that will find itself placed on top, when its not acting as a center channel!

I would think that Jim could come up with some enclosure with added legs (after all, he has built some custom racks), but I would source the granite from your local granite countertop fabricator.  With the weight of the granite, simply placing the slab on thin rubber non-slip cushion discs like used for glass tops would prevent it from moving.  If you bumped into it you would probably damage your kneecap before the top would budge.

Steve

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:54 am »
I have a 13'2" wide room. I used the SS8s, placed closer as in the first pic below, until I read your question and I decided to experiment.

Tonight, I moved the speakers around and found a nice spot a bit wider apart. 8'9" from inside edge to inside edge of each speaker and 15" from each side wall, and they are 4.5 feet from the front wall.

Excuse the overexposure, I'm fighting the camera!

Anyway, I like them here, I have a little more bass energy from the wall proximity, the center image has improved and the soundstage is very wide. I will be playing with placement some more later this week. Hope this helps! Pete

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:57 am »
Yetis

Use the cardas rule, you probably already do.
Equilateral triangle with distance between speakers same as distance from each speaker to listening area.
Generally 8 ft works good, if you go past 9, try toeing in the speakers slightly.
The Salks have incredible off axis imaging, so you can get a very wide soundstage.

Farther from the side walls is good are you may want to try absorbtion panels if you can for first arrivals from the side walls. Real Traps and Gik make very nice room treatments.  It can do wonders in a narrower room.

Take plenty of time moving the speakers in small increments. Have the rear diffusion panels closed when you do this.