Anyone interested in a nice little speaker switcher?

avahifi

It dawned on us that we can use the basic chassis of our new HumDinger for a passive speaker switcher.

It would be the same chassis as the Humdinger, but with 5-way binding posts for a power amplifier input on one end and two sets of speaker outputs too, and two DPDT heavy duty toggle switches on the other end and a couple of headphone jacks to boot.  It would not have any AC power in or out, just passive switcher and connection circuits.

This would allow switching either or both pairs of speakers on and off and provide excellent headphone performance driven from your power amplifier through a voltage divider built into the box for this purpose.

It would probably cost the same as the HumDinger, $125.00

We can build it if enough of you would like it.  Let me know.

Frank Van Alstine

santacore

Re: Anyone interested in a nice little speaker switcher?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2013, 04:37 pm »
That's a great idea! I definitely think there is interest in a properly done power amp to headphone interface. The speaker switching would be an extra bonus.

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:46 pm »
That would be killer Frank! If I could get one that could switch between 2 speakers or play both pairs, and get headphone jacks too, I would be very psyched. Would it be possible to get one of the headphone jacks a 4-pin XLR for my balanced HiFiMan headphones?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:48 pm »
Could it work the other way - switch 2 amps between 1 set of speakers?

bahorn1

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:55 pm »
I would be interested!

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2013, 07:13 pm »
Frank:

I have a need for a box that would accept two amplifier sources for one set of speakers. Is that possible? I use one setup or two-channel music and another setup for HT with a pair of SongTowers as the main left/right in both applications. I'm constantly having to swap speaker cables, while remembering to keep the power off and not touch plus/minus together.

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:06 pm »
Neither XLR fittings nor switching two amplifiers into one set of speakers are possible with what I am thinking about.

The problem with XLR fittings is that this requires special tooling for almost zero needs, never cost effective.

The problem with switching two amps is that there is no way to prevent accidentally tying the output of the amps together without doing electronic logic controlled switching as we do in our ABX box (available now for $1500, switches any combination of two preamps, two power amps, and three sets of speakers with or without subwoofers and matches levels along with double blind test capability.

With a simple mechanical DPDT toggle switch arrangement that allows for paralleled outputs to power two pairs of speaker systems at a time, this same arrangement could blow up your power amplifiers if you tried to reverse the connections.  Thus this arrangement is forbidden.  If your audio system has an accidental "district button" I guarantee that sooner or later it will be used!

Frank Van Alstine

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2013, 09:30 pm »
Neither XLR fittings nor switching two amplifiers into one set of speakers are possible with what I am thinking about.

The problem with XLR fittings is that this requires special tooling for almost zero needs, never cost effective.

The problem with switching two amps is that there is no way to prevent accidentally tying the output of the amps together without doing electronic logic controlled switching as we do in our ABX box (available now for $1500, switches any combination of two preamps, two power amps, and three sets of speakers with or without subwoofers and matches levels along with double blind test capability.

With a simple mechanical DPDT toggle switch arrangement that allows for paralleled outputs to power two pairs of speaker systems at a time, this same arrangement could blow up your power amplifiers if you tried to reverse the connections.  Thus this arrangement is forbidden.  If your audio system has an accidental "district button" I guarantee that sooner or later it will be used!

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks for the feedback, Frank. My best option might be to buy another set of speakers, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  :thumb:

mark funk

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm »

Some thing like this :wink:

:smoke:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:14 pm »
Steve, you could get some in-line Neutrik Speakon Connectors.  One connector can handle both channels. Than you only need to turn the volume to zero when switching (leave the AC power on).

Everyone should turn the volume to zero when switching.

trebejo

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2013, 07:52 am »
So if one were to take one of these pretty little boxes and plug it after an Ultravalve, you would be able to use the Ultravalve as a headphone amp. Nice.

Now, again, what was it that was wrong about swapping speaker connections with the amps live...  :scratch:

Ok, one thing, for sure, the sudden rush of voltage in a jiggly fashion as you manipulate the live wires in there.

Ok, for another thing, if your grip on the wires slips, it can be pretty bad for your amps, or even your own body. These amps are pretty powerful little boxes, and they're plugged right into the wall socket.

But that thing about the headphone amp is the pearl inside the pretty oyster. It is yet another excuse to buy some excellent conventional headphones.

xsb7244

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2013, 07:21 pm »
Sony SB-5335, controls up to 3 amps, 10 speakers, 3 tuners, 3 tape decks.

avahifi

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm »
A web search for a Sony SB-5335 brings up no results.  Explain please!

Frank

mark funk

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm »
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sony+sb-5335&qpvt=sony+sb-5335&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=1FD30619F8D5096C66AABA1990EC5CE1050DF95C&selectedIndex=13

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sony+sb-5335&qpvt=sony+sb-5335&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=1FD30619F8D5096C66AA244AA9B65166550BAD05&selectedIndex=15

This is what it looks like I guess

:smoke:

srb

« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm »
A web search for a Sony SB-5335 brings up no results.  Explain please!

My Google search on "Sony SB-5335" gets multiple results.  But it's an old vintage piece with funky spring-loaded speaker clips.

Steve

xsb7244

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2013, 10:34 pm »
Sony SB-5335 system selector is discontinued.