Pointless Observations

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Pointless Observations
« on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:45 pm »
My wife came home the other day with a really old, non electric coffee percolator.  It probably came out of the local Goodwill.
You have to put it on the stove to boil the water.
She just loves that thing and says that it makes the best cup of coffee.

It's funny how we went from non electric coffee percolators to electric percolators to freeze dried instant coffee to the ubiquitous Mr. Coffee-type machines with Cremora to back to the coffee percolator.

This made me think of audio and how things have gone full circle for me.
It went from my grandparent's tubes and vinyl, 8 track and cassettes came along, everything had gone solid state a long time ago, CDs ruled the roost and and now it's back to tubes and vinyl.

Perhaps the miraculous advances in sound reproduction are like the old coffee percolator - things may be more convenient and faster and different but is it better?

JohnR

Re: Pointless Observations
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2013, 01:50 pm »
You mean like this?

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:11 pm »
My Italian friend used to make the best coffee in that.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2013, 02:16 pm »
Very similar although that one looks more modern.
Her model resembles the one used by the late J. Gordon Holt:

decal

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2013, 03:44 pm »
If you cryo the tube, your coffee will taste crisper.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:28 pm »
If you cryo the tube, your coffee will taste crisper.

Nope double blind test is in order.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  For the purist percolated coffee is the winner with a close second for pressed. Mr coffee can just go bye bye.
   For some they get it, right off the bat. For others full circle through years of listening experience you just know what is best for you. Most just go laterally and through money at it.
   If one gets emotional impact from the existing system just stay put and buy more music. :D

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2013, 07:13 pm »
Those old percolators really do make a better cup of coffee.  Same with the stovetop espresso makers of similar design.  Part of it is because the water often does not get hot enough in electric coffee makers.  The other part has to do with how the water saturates the grounds and the overall time of exposure of the water to the grounds. 

Changing to a better coffee making system improves the flavor of coffee quite a bit, but that pales in comparison to getting a good burr grinder and using freshly roasted whole beans.  In my experience, pre-ground coffee is uniformly bad and is best avoided no matter what.  Often when people move to grinding their own beans they get one of those cylinders with the rotary blades at the top.  That's better, but still not optimal because it causes 2 problems - the blades go so fast that the friction they generate causes the beans to actually burn a little bit, leading to bitterness in the end flavor.  The other problem is that they grind the beans unevenly - some parts will be pretty large grains, while other parts will be fine as dust.  This also causes the final flavor to be "off".

Coffee is like audio - there's lots of variation and room for personal preferences.  On the other hand, there are some things that are just flat out better.  Burr Grinders are just flat out better.  Start there.  After that, feel free to explore coffee making systems.  The stovetop stuff mentioned here is great, as is the one that I settled on for myself, the Aeropress, a sort of reverse french press with a filter.  Travels well, makes a great cup of coffee, cleans up easy, stores easy, very small and compact.  Love it.  And very cheap at $25. 

FireGuy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm »
This piece is what my Parents, Grandparents & Aunts etc. used to brew with.  It did take some time on the stove top however.  You knew it was done by time and color.

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2013, 10:30 pm »
This piece is what my Parents, Grandparents & Aunts etc. used to brew with.  It did take some time on the stove top however.  You knew it was done by time and color.

And the aroma...

Jim

galyons

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2013, 11:37 pm »
There is "Coffee Nervosa" just like "Audio Nervosa"!!! Roast 'em if ya' got 'em!!!

Cheers Geary

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:06 am »
^ But do you have either some Monkey Pod or Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee :icon_twisted:

Jim

P.S. Just noticed the ad for Coffee  below...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:31 am »
It's funny how you can get so carried away with just about anything.
I have a can of Folgers, it was the cheapest name brand at the store this week...

I'm going to have to look into those Burr Grinders, though. 
That might be fun and I can probably make a huge mess at the same time.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2013, 03:45 pm »
+1 for the Aeropress.  Try it and you'll be impressed.

royal

« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:00 pm »
another +1 for aeropress.  Sippin a fresh cup right now  :D

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #14 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:25 pm »
You mean like this?

That is called a mocha. Not really suitable for audiophiles, because  at $30. does the same thing a $5,000 espresso machine does. :lol:

Doc

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2013, 05:00 pm »
 :lol: :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:57 am »
Ha hah  :green: We use one of those (not the same one but the same type of thing) every morning.

I have been informed that the next step is a grinder but when I inquired on the price tag of a suitable grinder it turned out to be hundreds. I'm on the lookout for a manual one... perhaps vintage would work too  :D

Crimson

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm »
You mean like this?

Only genuine eyetalians use them.

I have a collection of espresso pots, in many different colors and sizes.  :wink:

acresm22

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2013, 05:09 pm »
Definite yes to the superiority of freshly ground coffee and french press style coffee makers.
But the advantages of percolators, whether stovetop or electric, are debatable. Percolators by definition recirculate, and you could argue that that's a bad thing...flavor is best when the water passes through the coffee just one time. Pushing partially brewed coffee again and again through the grounds...not so good.