Joining two panels when making speaker cabinets

bdp24

Re: Joining two panels when making speaker cabinets
« Reply #40 on: 25 Feb 2013, 07:14 pm »
Yup, that was me, asking what people were using to cover the seams. I looked at everything somebody had gotten good results with, and chose to try the two wood fillers first. Then, when I was shopping for a random orbit sander, I remembered the sawdust and wood glue trick. Between the three of them, I'm assuming at least one will work.

bdp24

« Reply #41 on: 25 Feb 2013, 07:37 pm »
A biscuit joiner is a convenience not a necessity. I found it easier to assemble boxes using a minimum of clamps because the biscuits help line up the sides instead of fumbling around with butt joints made slippery because of the uncured wood glue. A brad nailer will do the job too but it's still not as easy as with biscuits.

Here's an inexpensive biscuit joiner, $70, which has received good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRIC-BISCUIT-JOINER-ADJUSTABLE-JOINTER/dp/B001O4CMUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

That's exactly why the biscuit method looked attractive to me, rc. But then I remembered that for my inside box I had already envisioned drilling pilot holes for #6-1.5" Screw-Tite screws, screwing the screws into the non-butt end panel until the tip just showed on the inside of that panel. Then brush on Titebond II Extend glue to the butt end of the panel that was going to be screwed into, lining up both panels so that the screw coming through the one panel was poised to enter (this is getting steamy) the pilot hole of the butt-end panel. Then go ahead and screw all the #6's in until snug, clamp on a square, and let the glue dry. Since this first box won't show, no need to cover the seam or screw holes. When the inner box is fully assembled, I will then glue one outer panel in place, attach some clamps, and let the glue dry. The two challenges will be to get each panel lined up perfectly, and to keep it there while clamping. That is, as you said, where biscuits look attractive. If I can get a jointer for 70 bucks, hell, I'm doin' it! Thanks for the info rc, I'm gonna check it out right now.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2013, 09:06 pm by bdp24 »

bdp24

« Reply #42 on: 25 Feb 2013, 08:08 pm »
rajacat, you are, as Ed Norton said to Ralph Kramden, beautiful. I just ordered the jointer from Amazon, free shipping and no sales tax. I'm stoked! :hyper: Hope I can figure out how to use it correctly. That's what scrap wood is for, ay?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #43 on: 25 Feb 2013, 08:16 pm »
So I'm beautiful, eh! :oops:

The joiner will have a little bit of learning curve; not too bad though. :)

-Roy

bdp24

« Reply #44 on: 25 Feb 2013, 08:40 pm »
Well Roy, I'm already familiar with the concept and technique from watching the shop foreman doing it. I'll just read the manual and practice on something other than Baltic Birch!---Eric.

doug067

« Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:10 am »
Masterful work by jparkhur

WireNut

« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2013, 02:35 am »
Those look REALLY good. Wish I had the skills to do a good paint finish, I'd like mine to look as good as those someday. I can get the wood working right but I'm afraid I'll screw it all up on the finishing so I've been leaving everything primer-ed. I've got a sprayer and compressor but I don't no jack about what type of paint to use or what to mix it with :icon_frown:

bdp24

« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm »
Those sure are nice, Jon, but not for me. I don't care for the look of exposed ply's or stained Birch (those natural-finish Super-V's you just did, however, are SO purty!), and have something else in mind. dark charcoal or maybe black, but not gloss, or semi-, or satin, or even matte. You know that "eggshell" black than Vintage Hot Rod and Truck guys paint their rides? That color and sheen, with Vintage-style grille cloth that Acoustone sells. The cabs will look like you took a 50's console hi-fi and put it in a slammed, chopped, and shaved sled. Wicked cool!

jparkhur

« Reply #48 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:13 pm »

These are actually butt joints with a bevel to make it appear as if they were 45s

jparkhur

« Reply #49 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:16 pm »
Those sure are nice, Jon, but not for me. I don't care for the look of exposed ply's or stained Birch (those natural-finish Super-V's you just did, however, are SO purty!), and have something else in mind. dark charcoal or maybe black, but not gloss, or semi-, or satin, or even matte. You know that "eggshell" black than Vintage Hot Rod and Truck guys paint their rides? That color and sheen, with Vintage-style grille cloth that Acoustone sells. The cabs will look like you took a 50's console hi-fi and put it in a slammed, chopped, and shaved sled. Wicked cool!

You mean this... everyone likes different... thats whey they are all custom..... one offs...

jparkhur

« Reply #50 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:17 pm »

That finish is so smooth... Nice..

bdp24

« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:43 pm »
Are the Super-V's in the middle all black? I don't remember seeing them before. The natural finish ones I mentioned weren't stained at all, just sealed with something, so the color was blonde-like. And you used pocket screws in the back corners. Those were the ones I thought were very pretty and classy, in a European/modern style. Reminded me of the furniture I saw in Germany when I was over there in '82. The Europeans put brushed or satin, rather than chrome, hardware on their home doorknobs, kitchen handles, etc.

jparkhur

« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:45 pm »
Yes, they are black.. And yes, i just sealed them with a clear coat...   

bdp24

« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2013, 03:24 pm »

These are actually butt joints with a bevel to make it appear as if they were 45s
[/q

jparkhur

« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:04 pm »

[/q

One would never know there is a seam on those corners. And you didn't hide it under coats of Bondo either Jon, or the ply's would show. Nice!

The only filler in these is some small pockets that were voided in the grain ends.  The stain is just rubbed on and then cleared. 

bdp24

« Reply #55 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:07 pm »
That finish is so smooth... Nice..

The seam is completely invisible. And it wasn't done by covering it in Bondo because you can see the plys.

bdp24

« Reply #56 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:08 pm »
Darn it, misentered again, and there's no way to delete this.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #57 on: 27 Feb 2013, 10:19 pm »
Mr Parkhur is one talented craftsman.....beautiful work.