Replacing an Outlaw 950 pre/pro with a Denon AVR-3805

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I am only interested in both units for pure HT (no 2 channel).  If I went with the Denon, I would not be using the amps (unless I find it good enough to drive my 4 surround speakers).

On the surface, the Denon has tons more features than the Outlaw.

I am in the process of selling my old Denon AVR-4800 and I always thought it was a very nice sounding unit (better than similarly priced units from Rotel, Adcom, etc...)

George

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2004, 12:54 pm »
The 950 is older.  But would hope be cleaner.  You may want to try out the outlaw saloon for a references to comparisons.  I had one on order before they came out.  I ended up getting the Harman Kardon, though.  Not much patience and alot easier on the pocket book.  
Why Denon and not Pioneer or maybe even all digital like Panasonic or H/K?  Just wondering.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:16 pm »
George,

In that price range (Lists for $1499) I have been using the Sherwood Newcastle P965.

It has all of the most used processes (excepty THX) and many quality features too.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:25 pm »
George, did you find your 4800 could drive your surround speakers?

I would think that it could.  If the 4800 would, I would think most midpriced units, like the one you are interested in could as well.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:53 pm »
Never tried the 4800 in the main HT system.

It was in the secondary livingroom system hooked up to Reynaud Twins.

I am sure the 4800 has more than enough power for the 4 surrounds.

Using that logic...I could also sell my Sherbourn 5 channel amp.  I use my 2 channel amps to drive the L/R when using the HT.

So now the question is:

Is a $2K list current receiver better as a pre/pro and drving just the surrounds than the Outlaw 950 + Sherbourn?   :?:

George

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2004, 04:09 pm »
Quote from: zybar
So now the question is:

Is a $2K list current receiver better as a pre/pro and drving just the surrounds than the Outlaw 950 + Sherbourn?   :?:

George

I don't think you would notice the difference in amps between a  receiver or the Sherbourn for the surrounds, so the question to me would be "is a $2K list current receiver better as a pre/pro than the Outlaw 950?"

I would say almost certainly yes for some specific receivers, like the Sherwood Newcastle P965 that John recommended, the Pioneer Elites, and the Denons.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2004, 04:21 pm »
John,

I know the Sherwood doesn't have the room correction that the newer Denon units have (which is a potential big reason for going with a change), do you know if it allows you to set the distance from each speaker?  Can the bass crossover be set for individually for each speaker?

George

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2004, 05:11 pm »
Quote from: zybar
John,

I know the Sherwood doesn't have the room correction that the newer Denon units have (which is a potential big reason for going with a change), do you know if it allows you to set the distance from each speaker?  Can the bass crossover be set for individually for each speaker?

George

No, it doesn't but, it is upgradable and I think a thread on AVS has a few questions about that.

It does have speaker distances (except the sub)

Bass is global.

Another suggestion is the Yamaha.  A client of mine with a brand new full VMPS system has the RXZ9.

I have to be honest, I never really liked Yammies "sound", but this one is incredible.  Even the amps are of great sound quality.

But the "set up" and equalization system/GUI/adjustments is the best I have seen.

I beleive the model below it, the RXV2400 has 90% of the bells and whistles at a retail list of $999.

Might too be worth a look and listen.

jgubman

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2004, 05:19 pm »
George, I've read very mixed reviews of Denon's implementation of "room correction". They actually EQ the entire frequency range, rather than just the sub 200Hz range.
This review:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review07.php
is not exactly glowing: the reviewer wound up not using it in his reference system!

Personally, if you're really concerned about EQ, I'd look toward the Krell showcase (~$2,500 used) or maybe a B&K ref 50 (or 30 if you don't care about 7.1). Of course if you can swing the $10k, a meridian or the new Lexicon mc-12 will definately get you where you want to be!

I personally haven't listened to the effects of the EQ in any of the above processors, so take it for what it's worth (not much...).

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2004, 03:08 pm »
I took the plunge and will have a Denon 3805 here on Monday/Tuesday.

At the price I am getting it at, if I don't think it is better than the Outlaw, I will just sell it and keep the Outlaw.

George

jgubman

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2004, 05:13 pm »
Cool, let us know how it works out and what you think of the room correction.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2004, 02:19 am »
Picked up the receiver today from my dealer.  Here are a few pics...

I plan on putting it into the system tomorrow.  I don't know how much time I will have to learn the room correction, but it needs to be up and running so I can lend a friend my Sherbourn 5/1500A to power his RM 30's while his EAD is busted...

Will post after some break in and I learn the ropes.

George