Testing 100W nirvana

MattCassidy

• http://www.claritymultimedia.com.au
Testing 100W nirvana
« on: 1 Jul 2004, 12:36 am »
I am almost too embarrassed to ask :oops: but..I have almost finished my build on a Aksa 100W Nirvana. I anticipate doing some testing this weekend. What can I use as a source? My CD player does not have a volume control so I assume that it needs pre-amplification to be any good. how about an iPod or a walkman? Or I have a mac laptop with headphone output as well...I guess that gives the game away as to how much i know about this stuff, oh well.

No laughing
 :nono:
Matt

Malcolm Fear

Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2004, 01:28 am »
Hi Matt
I use something with a volume built in, like a tuner with a volume knob or a walkman and get a headphone (male) to 2 RCA plug (male) adapter from Dick Smith or Radioshack.

MattCassidy

Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2004, 01:37 am »
Much appreciated Malcolm, yeah i thought that I might use my computer which has headphones out, I have a 3.5mm to double RCA converter..Just wanted to check and I have been bothering Hugh with enough questions already.
Matt

Carlman

Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2004, 02:13 am »
I used a Panasonic CD/walkman w/ a stereo minplug to RCA adaptor.  I also used some cheap speakers to test just in case.

The combination was incredible at first listen.  I got really impatient to get in my real system after that... It's exciting times.  Best of luck!

-C

andyr

Re: Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2004, 03:22 am »
Quote from: MattCassidy
I am almost too embarrassed to ask :oops: but..I have almost finished my build on a Aksa 100W Nirvana. I anticipate doing some testing this weekend. What can I use as a source? My CD player does not have a volume control No laughing
 :nono:
Matt
Hi, Matt,

It's been a while since my last AKSA testing exercise (so my memory of it has faded somewhat!) but why don'tcha test "off-line"??

IE. take a feed from your CD player but don't connect the speakers - instead, use a pair of ceramic, 10watt, 8ohm (or two pairs of 5 watt, 4ohm) resistors across the speaker terminals.  They'll probably get quite hot - I remember mine got too hot to touch - but they serve to provide a good load to your AKSA.

Regards,

Andy

Greg Erskine

Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2004, 06:37 am »
Matt,

I have a piece of 40mm aluminium angle (3mm thick) with a dual gang pot and two pairs of RCA sockets that I use for just that purpose. A very basic passive pre-amp.  :)

It's good enough for testing amps. Mine's a 100k which is probably not ideal for the AKSA. (I have been meaning to try other pots.)

You could probably make it cheaper if you cut an interconnection in half and wire directly to the pot. This would save 2 pairs of RCA sockets and would probably be superior sonically, heh Malcolm.  :mrgreen:

Greg

MattCassidy

Testing 100W nirvana
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2004, 06:56 am »
Thanks for all the tips.

I will use an ipod as a source and will plug in some old speakers until I see that nothing blows up.

If I am gunna test it I at least want to hear some sound after all my hard soldering :D