Beyers or Senn sound

jdkane527

Beyers or Senn sound
« on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:58 pm »
Due to my living situation, I've had to look into enjoying my music through quieter means.
I picked up Senn HD700 phones, which I'm driving from my Peachtree Nova, and was blown away by the transparency and clarity of my tracks, from FLAC to high bitrate mp3s.
Reading up on this forum and others, I decided to try the Beyerdynamics DT880 250 ohm phones, powered by Peachtree Nova and JDS CmoyBB, and found the bass impact to be desirable, but the Senns have a faster bass and better sounding highs.  They have 2 distinctly different sound qualities, both suited for different genres of music, and both very enjoyable with my FLAC collection.  This got me thinking, since I'm enjoying the Beyer sound, but the transparency and airy sound of the Senns, would I prefer the T1 over the HD700?

I recently picked up these headphones so I can still exchange if I wanted to.  Should I let these burn in more, or try to listen to other phones out there and let my ears decide for themselves?

Thanks,
Headphone Noob

toocool4

Re: Beyers or Senn sound
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm »
Try the Beyer T1 and you will not go back to HD700, different league.  :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2013, 12:29 am »
I would be certain that the Peachtree headphone amp can properly drive the T1s, which are a 600ohm headphone and need some juice to sound their best.

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:10 am »
The Beyer T1's.  Enough said.  Listening to the T1's right now.  The last headphone you will buy.  Listen to us who own these cans, we know.
A review here:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/headphones/beyerdynamic-t1-673174/review

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:13 am »
Simple solution is to buy both the T1 and Sennheiser HD800.

See how easy that was?

:roll:

I really gotta hear the T1. Those driver elements must be amazing. Aside from the angling of the drivers (a la the recent Senn releases), the T1 appears little (if at all) different mechanically from the other Beyer models. When Capitol Audio Fest rolls around, I am going to spend serious time in the Woo Audio room. The T1 will be on my listen list. I have only heard one Beyer set (DT770) and did like them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:28 am »
I was pretty impressed. It was the first closed set I was able to wear for an appreciable period of time (I'm an open-can fan.)

BTW to the OP: Are you happy with your 700s? If so, I would say, if it ain't broke...  :nono: If you are, you have some auditioning to do.

Sitting there wondering if there is something better (for most people, there usually is) can really undermine enjoyment of music. If you want something really, really better, there is always Live. That $400 dollar difference will still buy you some good concert tickets!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:37 am »
I own Sennheiser HD800
And I also own an older pair of Beyerdynamic 990
They are different.
The HD800 took a LONG time to realy have the bass break in fully. Until then they seemed a little trebley.. but eventually they levelled out. The HD 800 also benefit a lot more from top of  the line amplification.
The HD800s offer clarity and a presence you have to hear to understand.
My old Beyerdynamics are rather mellow sounding.
The Sennheiser fit fully around the ear. I bent the headband on purpose when I got them, and now i wish I had not. At first they seemed to tight, (naturally now they are too loose)
I can wear them a long time.
The beyerdynamics cups are smaller than the ear, so the sit ON the ear, not around it.
For all my grumbling about the HD800 I would never give them up.

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:03 am »
The break-in for my T1's is still about 50 hours away and they are sounding better (and I mean better) each hour.  I have posted this before and I will post again.   I also own the Beyer DT 990 600 Ohm and thought they were the best.  I was wrong about the 990's until I opened the box with the T1's.  Any 600 Ohm can needs amplification so check out Woo, Schiit, or Decware.  I know my next buy will be the Senn Hd 800.  God I love this hobby!!  Enjoy the music. :D :D :D :D

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:32 am »

The beyerdynamics cups are smaller than the ear, so the sit ON the ear, not around it.

Are you referring to the older models? Cause the 880s and the T1s both go around my ears completely.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:35 am »
The break-in for my T1's is still about 50 hours away and they are sounding better (and I mean better) each hour.  I have posted this before and I will post again.   I also own the Beyer DT 990 600 Ohm and thought they were the best.  I was wrong about the 990's until I opened the box with the T1's.  Any 600 Ohm can needs amplification so check out Woo, Schiit, or Decware.  I know my next buy will be the Senn Hd 800.  God I love this hobby!!  Enjoy the music. :D :D :D :D

I feel dumb saying this, but a buddy of mine on head-fi and I often talk about how much pride of ownership comes along with a headphone like the T1s.  I have mentioned this before, but I bought a Larry Dale custom stand for mine to give them a nice place to reside, and I will often times peek in my listening room even when I'm heading out the door just cause I feel like a kid at Christmas each time I look at them  :duh:  I get lots of enjoyment from each of my toys, but the T1s just have an entirely different feel about them.  I feel very fortunate to own a pair and I can confidently say that, barring homelessness (lol), they are an untouchable in my system.

staticvar

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:59 am »
Due to my living situation, I've had to look into enjoying my music through quieter means.
I picked up Senn HD700 phones, which I'm driving from my Peachtree Nova, and was blown away by the transparency and clarity of my tracks, from FLAC to high bitrate mp3s.
Reading up on this forum and others, I decided to try the Beyerdynamics DT880 250 ohm phones, powered by Peachtree Nova and JDS CmoyBB, and found the bass impact to be desirable, but the Senns have a faster bass and better sounding highs.  They have 2 distinctly different sound qualities, both suited for different genres of music, and both very enjoyable with my FLAC collection.  This got me thinking, since I'm enjoying the Beyer sound, but the transparency and airy sound of the Senns, would I prefer the T1 over the HD700?

I recently picked up these headphones so I can still exchange if I wanted to.  Should I let these burn in more, or try to listen to other phones out there and let my ears decide for themselves?

Thanks,
Headphone Noob
Hello, This is my first post here. Before you make any decision on headphones, May i suggest you listen to a analog source first. Both Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser make brilliant headphones with a nod towards Sennheiser. Garbage in=Garbage out...Your source will reveal your weakness before you hear it through headphones. Sennheiser HD 650's are still the best bang for your dollar! It doesn't matter what genre music you are listening to when your source is digital...You're DAC is more important than your headphones... 
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2013, 07:31 am by ServerAdmin »

milford3

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:02 am »
Kane:  Your choices are many.  I started with the Senn HD555's for laptop duty.  It only gets better.  Once you get hooked on headphones you will stay on this planet forever.  I have said before, the headphone experince takes out the room size equation and or room treatment.

jdkane527

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:16 am »
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been enjoying the HD700s thus far.  Searching for the next best thing will just be an endless chase into a bottomless hole in my wallet.

Everyday, I look forward to coming home after work and putting on the 700s and enjoy them.  The Beyers are solely for work or on the go.  I find the 700s to be more comfortable than the DT880s, although I bent the headband slightly out on the Beyers to make it more comfortable.  After a few minutes I forget I have the Senns on.  Sound quality, I prefer the 700s, but will keep the 880s for use at work.  The 700s have approximately ~200 hrs already, and the 880s are around ~40 hrs.

I ordered a Bottlehead Crack amp with speedball upgrade, but that won't be arriving for a while.  I will probably pick up a Schiit Bifrost when that arrives.  I also have the Schiit Modi and Magni, but I prefer the sound of the CmoyBB over the Magni thus far.  The Schiit Modi is quite a nice DAC, but hearing both Modi and Bifrost side by side, the Bifrost has a better soundstage.

Trying to find a place around LA to audition the T1s has been difficult.  I'm about to order a set online to try it out, but I feel like if I did, I would fall in love with it and want to keep both cans  :duh: haha.

I listen to some Electronic Trance, and Above & Beyond have never sounded better through my 700s. :thumb:

I'll keep you guys posted if I can get my hands on the T1s.

milford3

« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:34 am »
Electronic Trance:  What can't the Beyer T1's not do?  Listening electronica now on the T1's  Enjoy the music my friend.  God what a headphone!!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:08 am »
The Beyer T1's.  Enough said.  Listening to the T1's right now.  The last headphone you will buy.  Listen to us who own these cans, we know.

I know my next buy will be the Senn Hd 800.  God I love this hobby!!

Awesome!   :thumb:

:wink:

santacore

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2013, 04:04 pm »
I just put balanced ends (dual XLR) on my T1's so that I could use the balanced outputs on my DNA Stratus amp. Wow, I'm very impressed by the difference I'm hearing. They really seemed to open up even more and the bass quality got a bit better. Overall the improvement is well worth time/money investment.

A good point that others have made, is that with these high end headphones, having a high end amp/dac is extremely important. These flagship units really need a high end front end to sound their best.

jdkane527, if you can't find a pair of T1's near you, give me a shout. I own a pair, but live in the far end of the South Bay in L.A..

John

mucore

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:16 pm »
HD700 has alway been in a awkward situation after been released.  For Senn it is best to chose either HD600/HD650 or HD800. But HD800 is hard to handle. You need to find some better DACs and amps. As to T1,Ray Samuels Audio Stealth and Decware Zen CSP-2 maybe suitable. Bayer A1+ T1 is bad choice but A1+DT880 is good.