Wireless headphone campatability

ricardojoa

Wireless headphone campatability
« on: 19 Feb 2013, 04:07 am »
Hi,
im looking for a headphone and i want to go with a wireless one.
Not much knowledge on headphones.
So my question is , would i be able to use a wireless headphone with a headphone preamp. I will assume yes, as the difference should be wire vs wireless.
Thanks for any help.

mucore

Re: Wireless headphone campatability
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:03 pm »
First thing you have to know is what wireless headphone receives is the digital signal. Usaually we use head phone like this: audio souce(digital signal)->DAC(which convert digital signal into analog signal)->preamp(not necessarily)->amp(analog signal)->headphone. Any process for headphone is just like this regardless wire or wireless. If any part of it have a trasmitter which can transfer wireless signal while the receiver must deal with the rest. For examle the Sennheiser RS220 wireless headphone has both analog and digital input interface. Whatever it does the trasmitter will convert the input signal into wireless digital audio transmission signal via 2.4GHz.
So if you want to use a wireless headphone with a headphone preamp I assume yes. The porcess is souce 2 DAC 2 preamp 2 transmitter 2 receiver(headphone). And the signal will be digital 2 analog 2 analog 2 digital 2 analog. As you can see there is a ADC convertion by transmitter I highly doubt there will be loss of audio signal.
As for my recommendation if you want a HIFI audio for headphone ignore wireless. But for convenience wireless is a good choice.