Sunfire Amps

sbcgroup1

Sunfire Amps
« on: 30 Jun 2004, 04:56 pm »
Anyone ever used/tried any of the Sunfire amps with their speakers that use that "Tracking Downconverter" powersupply technology? Opinions?

On the rear of the Sunfire 300, there's dual binding posts. One is labeled "current source" and the other is "voltage source." It says you can bi-wire with the mids and uppers on the current source outputs and the woofers on the voltage source outputs. I wonder how that type of connection might sound....

-Ed

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Sunfire Amps
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2004, 05:17 pm »
Ed,

I tried the Sunfire amps about 4-5 years ago and thought they were ok for solid state amps.  The Sunfire was suprisingly close to a Plinius SA 250 Mk II and I thought it was better than the Odyssey, Adcom, and Rotel that were also compared to it.

I have no idea how much the Sunfire might have changed over the years.

Thought you were getting the Cinenova amps?  Having second thoughts?  :lol:

George

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2004, 05:21 pm »
I'm just a nutbag (like the photo says) and keep coming up with ideas and searching for info...

And yes, I am getting the Cinenovas....:)

-Ed

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Sunfire Amps
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2004, 02:02 pm »
I have the latest 2004 Sunfire Cinema Grand 200-five, five x 400WRMS @ 4 Ohms, $2500 USD MSRP, replaced the Ampzilla 2000 monos.  IMO this is the best amplifier value extant.  Though I did not get to A-B to the Ampzilla's, it appears very close if not its full equal.  I thought the treble was slightly brittle & amusical (compared to the A2k), but then after a few weeks even the treble smoothed out & fully satisfies.  It is 33 lbs & creates lower heat & is more efficient than any other known analog amp.  I'm going to A-B with Brian's latest Son Of Ampzilla stereo amp soon.  The Sunfire is recommended without reservation.  I think physicist Bob Carver has one of the greatest minds ever in all audio, & is vastly under-rated by many high-end audiophiles.  It is unknown how Sunfire makes profit on this, manufactured exclusively in the USA in Snohomish WA.  Buy one, you won't regret it.

Redbone

Sunfire Amps
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2004, 03:11 pm »

Rory B.

Sunfire Amps
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2004, 12:02 am »
The 500w amplifier in my DIY subwoofer has a Tracking Downconverter power supply in it, and I like it just fine. Plays loud, doesn't really get hot. The only reason I don't like Bob Carver is that he's so litigious. All that litigation just makes me think that Bob has some ego problems.

cytocycle

Sunfire Amps
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2004, 03:06 pm »
I bought a new (not b-stock) Sunfire Cinema Series II 225x5 and I was dissappointed by his quality control.  The little glass window has dirt in it that I would have to open the amplifier to clean.  The amplifier will not run with a grounded plug (the amp only has a + - connections). Now the back channels humm after 8 months (and nothing in my system has changed.

I bought it because it runs cool for my home theater and the voltage taps relaxed sound helped  to tame HT soundtracks.. it totally lacked depth (Compared to my EAD  Powermaster 2000 and Lamm M1.1's) when hooked up to my  2 channel system...

My friend also has one (which is why I bought one after hearing his for HT) but on rewiring his, one of the RCA's is dead on the back...   Just dissappointing quality control.  The sound doesn't offend which is key.