Wish I Was There - Montreal !!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« on: 30 Jun 2004, 02:33 pm »
Just a heads up for any and all members. From today , June 30th. till July 11th. , Montreal (Canada) is holding it's annual Jazz Festival (25th. year). I always wanted to attend , but never got around to it. Lots of free shows, as well as ticketed shows throughout the city, and Montreal is a great city, one of my favorites ! Here's a link to the schedule....   http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm2004/accueil_en.asp   8) Added this link for webcam of the happenings ...  http://www.montrealcam.com/en-sommaire.html    :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2004, 02:43 pm »
I happened to be there about 15 years ago on vacation with my, then, girlfriend...I had no idea it was going on until I ended up in the customs line with a few guys and big musical instrument cases.

I turned to the guy in front of me, an obvious musician due to the little lipstache he was sporting and the huge case he had, and asked what was going on.  He told me it was the Montreal Jazz Festival...than he introduced me to his main man...... Stanley Clarke.

Damn cool!

I think it was his solo stage, not with Return to Forever at that point in his career any longer.  I luv the dude's version of Eleanor Rigby on the guitar back then.

St. Catherine's Street was rockin' for the few days I was there that time...it's a great time to viusit Montreal.

Wolfy, tix with Saturday stayover were cheap then from NY (where I was living at the time); you should go.  It's a fun city - best bagels in the world...stomps NY bagels because they are boiled in honey water, then cooked in wood ovens.  Ummmmmmmmm - really.

Weather, for one, is bareable. :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2004, 08:56 pm »
And he didn't tell you to "go fuck yourself."  :lol:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2004, 09:34 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
And he didn't tell you to "go fuck yourself."  :lol:

Correct Rob, this was a far more pleasant meeting of a Jazz legend.  

Actually, I don't remember him saying anything.  His guy said (something like) '...and this is Stanley Clarke' and I stammered ' Hi, Stanley, I dig your work' (or something like that) and he either replied softly 'thank you' or nothing at all and the line moved forward towards Canadian Customs.  

I wish I could tell you the story ended with Stanley inviting me onstage and I got the play the bongo's for 2 hours with his band.....but it was far less interesting of a meeting.

It's not as good as story as Miles', eh?  I'm not sure where Miles lived, but the guy was very New York that night.  'Fuck myself', indeed. :lol: