Anyone using bit torrent to get music streams??

Tonto Yoder

« on: 30 Jun 2004, 11:49 am »
There's a concert appearance by Gillian Welch that's available via bit torrent. I'll admit I've only recently heard about this process and I'm trying to learn more, but are there any drawbacks that users have experienced????  The fact that others download from my computer is a little bit scary, but that may be my computer illiteracy talking.

I realize member Thump uses bit torrent, but searching the AC archives doesn't turn up much.

JDUBS

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2004, 02:34 am »
Tonto

Go for it!  Bit Torrent is an awesome technology.  The more people downloading the faster your download will be!  

An important thing to remember is to make sure your firewall is set up correctly (i.e. specific ports need to be opened).

I use it all the time for live concert downloads (Phish, Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, etc.).

-Jim

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2004, 03:09 am »
Jim,
thanks for the input.  It's that opening up "holes" in the firewall that is a bit scary.

Thump553

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2004, 01:07 pm »
I've probably downloaded 100-200 concerts in the past 1+ years via bit torrent.  Its a great system.  Yes, you do have to open a hole in your firewall for it to work most efficiently-but its open for that program only.  I haven't had any problems.  You can find out how to do this from your router manual (or mfr. website) or go to the technobabble section at www.sharingthegroove.com.

There are a bunch of places to download from, I get 95% of mine from sharingthegroove.com.  They have concert videos also, but that never interested me.